Playoff Pain & Alternative Playoff Structures

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Playoff Pain & Alternative Playoff Structures

Postby Dibbles » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 am

Down 60 in semis to a team I scored 400 more points than during regular season . . . and I only have MT + Lutz left, so I'm 99% out. Will lose 222 to 200ish, when the average score in this league is 160 (he had Ryan, Eli, M Sanders, Julio, S Shepard, Higbee, etc . . . vs my Mahomes, Russ, Jacobs, MT, Nuk, Godwin, Kittle, etc). Painful indeed and unfortunately has been a common theme for me in the past with what have been dominant regular season squads.

I've seen some other blurbs around these forums suggesting alternative playoff formats . . . and I'm wondering how y'all feel about weeks 14-16 being a total points race between playoff teams instead of a typical tournament format? Obvious positives are it keeps all playoff teams engaged for all 3 playoff weeks, the best team has a higher probability of winning in the end, eliminates the potential dagger from random fluke performances, etc. Main negative seems to be that the typical tournament format gives anyone/everyone a wide open shot at the title.

Would love your thoughts (and condolences :sick:), thanks!

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Playoff Pain & Alternative Playoff Structures

Postby ebsteelers » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am

on scouts fantasy it is a 4 team, 3 week race

but to take advantage of the regular season, the 4 teams that make the playoffs start with their average score from the first 13 weeks.. its a nice perk that takes into account what happened during the regular season

4 team 3 week race edit
Last edited by ebsteelers on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:33 am

ebsteelers wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am on scouts fantasy I it is a 4 week race.

but to take advantage of the regular season, the 4 teams that make the playoffs start with their average score from the first 13 weeks.. its a nice perk that takes into account what happened during the regular season
Interesting, I like that.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 am

In one league there are no matchups until the finals. Seeds 3-6 play in week 14 and the top two advance to the semifinals. Of the four remaining, the top two in week 15 go to the finals and the bottom two play for third.

In another, seeds 3-6 have a combined score for weeks 14 and 15. The top two are in the finals bracket where weeks 15 and 16 are combined. I think that's how it works.

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:55 pm

In a few of my leagues we do 4 team playoffs, weeks 13+14 aggregate scoring for #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3, then weeks 15 + 16 aggregate scoring for the championship.

In my primary league they’re against any change other than H2H which I get due to nostalgia, however I don’t understand people’s comparisons to the NFL as a reason to keep H2H matchups considering in the NFL you can actively defend against your opponent while in fantasy you cannot.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:25 pm

It sucks when it happens to you but the #1 and #2 seed statistically go to the championship by a large amount more than any of the other seeds. It also takes some of the fun out of it I think of course the stacked team will win it over a 3 week playoff I enjoy the thrill of a 1 week playoff and that is coming from a guy who constantly loses as the 1 or 2 seed
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:37 pm

I think it's fine for leagues to do total points like in fantasy baseball, but personally I'm fine with head to head. Win some, lose some. I'm gonna have a bad beat in a league, but tis the will of the fantasy gods.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Slackalacker wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:55 pm in the NFL you can actively defend against your opponent while in fantasy you cannot.
This is why I'm against H2H as a tiebreaker in FFL.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Ive seen some different playoff structures out there, some of them are interesting. I can definitely see the argument to try some of them, and of course FF is a game that can and should continue to evolve. However, H2H is the only way for me. It's just... part of it. I understand thats kinda a weak argument, but then this whole thing falls under "to each their own"

And to prove its not a bias, Im gonna lose a semi 185-205, where an average score is 123. No chance at a title, or even 2nd. Is that 100% fair? I guess not. Its part of it though, and Ive been on the other side of it too, in fact that same league a few years ago I walked into the finals with a mediocre team. Theres added intrigue, to me, the idea of just finding a way to get into the playoffs, seeing what happens. 1 seeds lose. Underdogs win. If it all just went chalk all the time it would be boring.

Now, if you agree with me about leaving H2H determination of the champ alone, or if you are in a league where the majority wants to leave it alone, I have one compromise. I started up a league this year that has a side pot for total points over 3 years. I think its gonna shape up to be a nice little consolation for really strong teams that cant make a push.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 am In one league there are no matchups until the finals. Seeds 3-6 play in week 14 and the top two advance to the semifinals. Of the four remaining, the top two in week 15 go to the finals and the bottom two play for third.
Same for us. Except only 4 teams so a 2 week semifinal with the 2 highest scoring teams moving onto a week 16 H2H winner take all.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:57 pm

This is simply personal preference.
I'll never do anything but H2H.

I've seen double headers, total points for, round robin, multi-week matchups, etc used in other leagues though.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:58 pm

I like H2H. It's far more exciting than any other method. Besides, sports is all about H2H. Yeah, I know, fantasy owners have no ability to stop their opponent from scoring, but it's still far more exciting playing head to head against another person.

I think just accept that there's plenty of luck involved and enjoy the excitement of it. Sometimes you'll win as the underdog and sometimes you'll lose as the heavy favourite. That's the nature of sports

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:14 pm

I don't like the idea of taking the randomness out of fantasy football. If the best team on paper won each time, then it wouldn't be any fun.

I think it's simple: Reward the regular season winner.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:16 pm

I think people sometimes try too hard to remove luck out of fantasy football when the entire premise is largely based on luck.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:57 am

Phaded wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:16 pm I think people sometimes try too hard to remove luck out of fantasy football when the entire premise is largely based on luck.
Exactly.

It sucks losing to the dreaded Jameis Winston-Breshad Perriman stack, but that's fantasy football. If you play it long enough, you'll always have crazy stories of how you won or lost. If the best paper team won every season, it wouldn't be the big industry it's become. The allure is that anyone can play and anyone can win.