GOAT
GOAT

Re: Kerryon Johnson Value

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:28 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:03 pm
Vcize wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:59 pm

He looked special last year.

It's actually interesting that you mentioned Cook because Cook and Kerryon were the two guys I targeted a lot this year based on their game tape from 2018 looking a lot better than their value dictated.

Kerryon looked completely different this year. I'm not really sure what happened there.
We have a different definition of special, then. I think he looked really good, but he lacks any elite trait. He looked good in a lot of areas to me, last year, but I did not see a high ceiling with him. I don't think he ever had top 5 back potential.
I think the argument he could be would be based more on his situation as the lead back of a Bevell/Patricia offense. Even if he's not top 5 in value or production, he'd still be a solid start, even if not an RB1.

So, basically, if he cedes touches to Scarborough or another interior back , what would his floor be in value/production?
I was just commenting on why Dalvin held some value after 2 years, as he had elite traits and top 5 upside. I'd say KJ is worth an early 2nd, vs this class. That's the most I'd pay, anyway. Tough to give up a first with so many good looking backs, receivers in this draft.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 am

Two years, two knee issues...shoulder issues in college.

You gotta think that DET brings in some competition...Kerryon's value is somewhere in the second round but I don't even know if I'd want to trade for him. When a late first or early second could get me some of the new RB's.
Last edited by Servo on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam_172
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Adam_172 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:16 am

I'd buy him for a late-1st still.
TEAM 1
Dynasty PPR 1QB (12 Team League)

QB - Murray, Fields, Pickett, Howell.
RB - Gibbs, R. White, Swift, Javonte Williams, Charbonnet, Allegier, Tank Bigsby, Penny.
WR - Nacua, Dell, Hollywood, Jameson Williams, Burks, Mooney, Atwell, Melton, Phillips, Washington, Lazard.
TE - Ferguson, Mayer, Knox.
DEF - Bills, Vikings.

Rookie Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 3.02, 4.02 and 5.02.

TEAM 2
Dynasty PPR - SuperFlex and TE Prem. (16 teams)

QB - Prescott, Pickett, Ridder, Mariota, Mullins, Willis.
RB - Walker III, R. White, Montgomery, Singletary, R. Jones, Mack, Hull, Sermon.
WR - Adams, Higgins, Watson, Meyers, Gabe Davis, W. Robinson, Dotson, Raymond, ARob.
TE - McBride, H. Henry, B. Jordan, Bates, B. Hopkins.

Rookie Picks: 2.14 and 3.14.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:29 am

With the way Scarbrough is playing I think they will just roll with what they already have at RB. They have more glaring issues than RB.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:37 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:28 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:03 pm

We have a different definition of special, then. I think he looked really good, but he lacks any elite trait. He looked good in a lot of areas to me, last year, but I did not see a high ceiling with him. I don't think he ever had top 5 back potential.
I think the argument he could be would be based more on his situation as the lead back of a Bevell/Patricia offense. Even if he's not top 5 in value or production, he'd still be a solid start, even if not an RB1.

So, basically, if he cedes touches to Scarborough or another interior back , what would his floor be in value/production?
I was just commenting on why Dalvin held some value after 2 years, as he had elite traits and top 5 upside. I'd say KJ is worth an early 2nd, vs this class. That's the most I'd pay, anyway. Tough to give up a first with so many good looking backs, receivers in this draft.
Not all late 1sts are created equal and this year late 1sts look to have the same value as early firsts from 2019. I like KJ a lot but he's clearly never going to be a workhorse and has injury concerns, hard to give up anything higher then an early 2nd round pick for him. I could still see him sneaking into the top 12 RB's on a given year with high efficiency but it won't be a regular occurrence throughout his career IMO. Guys like Kamara doing that are extreme outlier's not the norm.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:07 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:26 pm Bo Scarborough has had some good games since Kerryon went down. Nothing crazy electric, but getting a steady 4 YPC/g with backup and 3rd string QBs in is impressive. Does Scarborough affect Kerryon's touches/production/value next year? Is Patricia an RB platoon guy?
I feel like we already know the answer to this. Patricia clearly prefers a RBBC from his time in NE. He even went as far as signing LeGarrette Blount a couple of years ago. I'd equate Scarbrough to Blount (1st and 2nd down grinder / goal line plunges), Kerryon to Dion Lewis (best all-around RB but oft-injured), and McKissic to James White (primarily a receiving back but will get a couple of carries here and there).

I've never been super high on Kerryon and expected a committee this year in DET even if Kerryon had stayed healthy. Personally, I don't own Kerryon anywhere, but if I did, I'd sell for any 1st, maybe even an early 2nd.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

jimmycricket14
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jimmycricket14 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Just activated off IR for 2 meaningless games. Seems like an odd move. Do you lean more towards the positive or negative spin on this?

Positive spin: Team sees him as one of their best (injured) offensive players and is not happy with their current RB situation, so want to get him back in the mix even if the season is lost.

Negative spin: Team is unsure about Kerryon going forward. Want to see more of him this season in order to make a decision on what caliber player they bring in/draft next year. So he is playing for his job these last few weeks.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 pm

jimmycricket14 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:13 pm Just activated off IR for 2 meaningless games. Seems like an odd move. Do you lean more towards the positive or negative spin on this?

Positive spin: Team sees him as one of their best (injured) offensive players and is not happy with their current RB situation, so want to get him back in the mix even if the season is lost.

Negative spin: Team is unsure about Kerryon going forward. Want to see more of him this season in order to make a decision on what caliber player they bring in/draft next year. So he is playing for his job these last few weeks.
I think it’s your negative spin but I don’t see it as that bad. They may roll him out there the last few games as a “workhorse” to get one more good look before making a decision which way to go next year. I think he has at least the COP role next year though, which might be better for him anyway, to stay healthy.

tominansky
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tominansky » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 am

azthecrow wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 pm
jimmycricket14 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:13 pm Just activated off IR for 2 meaningless games. Seems like an odd move. Do you lean more towards the positive or negative spin on this?

I think it’s your negative spin but I don’t see it as that bad. They may roll him out there the last few games as a “workhorse” to get one more good look before making a decision which way to go next year. I think he has at least the COP role next year though, which might be better for him anyway, to stay healthy.
Giving a man fresh off of injury/IR two games to prove his worth doesn't make any sense... Definitely going to be some rust after not playing football for awhile and they've already seen what he can do when he's healthy so I'd lean more towards the positive spin. Give your best players the ball and give your fans a better on field product, even in a lost season.
Team 1:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 28 roster, SF, 1pt for 1st downs
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF/D

QB: Lamar, Geno, Huntley, Flacco, DTR
RB: Walker, Aaron Jones, Ford, Patterson, Spiller
WR: Aiyuk, DK, Puka, Doubs, Dotson, Renfrow, D. Douglas
TE: Kincaid, Thomas

2024: 2.11, 3.07, 3.09, 4.07
2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2026: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12 team, 0.5ppr, 23 roster, SF
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/SF

QB: Dak, Stafford, Rodgers, AOC, Dobbs
RB: CMC, JT, Ekeler, Kamara, A. Jones, Spears, Miller
WR: Tyreek, AJB, Allen, DK, Ridley, Palmer, Bourne, D. Robinson, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, Turner

2025 2nd, 3rd
2026 1st, 2x 2nd, 2x 3rd

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 am

tominansky wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 am

Giving a man fresh off of injury/IR two games to prove his worth doesn't make any sense... Definitely going to be some rust after not playing football for awhile and they've already seen what he can do when he's healthy so I'd lean more towards the positive spin. Give your best players the ball and give your fans a better on field product, even in a lost season.
I truly hope you’re right and they don’t actually activate him this year. If they do I was thinking they want to get some kind of look at him otherwise there would be no reason to bring him off IR. The positive spin scenario works for me though.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 pm

azthecrow wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 am

I truly hope you’re right and they don’t actually activate him this year. If they do I was thinking they want to get some kind of look at him otherwise there would be no reason to bring him off IR. The positive spin scenario works for me though.
I think unaffiliated fans make logical conclusions like "why activate your starting RB off IR for the last 2 games when the season is lost, must be a specific reason" but the reality is that NFL teams are in the business of selling tickets, why don't you think they haven't completely shut down Stafford? Because he sells tickets and so does Kerryon to an extent. The front office and owners are concerned with winning football but that is only because that increases their revenue and profits which is their primary goal. Why else would a team roll with Fitzpatrick instead of letting Rosen suck it up the whole season to at least see if he can turn it around? Because the on field product is better for the dolphins when Fitzpatrick is in the game and it makes it more interesting for the fans to buy tickets and go to the game.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 am

Titans95 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:41 pm
azthecrow wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 am

I think unaffiliated fans make logical conclusions like "why activate your starting RB off IR for the last 2 games when the season is lost, must be a specific reason" but the reality is that NFL teams are in the business of selling tickets, why don't you think they haven't completely shut down Stafford? Because he sells tickets and so does Kerryon to an extent. The front office and owners are concerned with winning football but that is only because that increases their revenue and profits which is their primary goal. Why else would a team roll with Fitzpatrick instead of letting Rosen suck it up the whole season to at least see if he can turn it around? Because the on field product is better for the dolphins when Fitzpatrick is in the game and it makes it more interesting for the fans to buy tickets and go to the game.
Perhaps they are trying to see if he can equal Guice's IR numbers over the first 2 years. Guice has gone to IR 3 times in 2 years (Is that a record?), and KJ needs one more trip to tie him.

In all seriousness, I don't think people will go to the final Lions games because KJ is back. That isn't going to sway people one way or the other.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Well Stafford gets shut down but Kerryon may come back? *shrugs*
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:25 pm

What this suggests is that the Lions are very impressed by Scarbrough and KJ wants to keep his job. KJ alluded to this fact when asked.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D