Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
fruity pebbles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

Postby fruity pebbles » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:16 am

You can’t win with him. Not turning the ball over 2+ times per game. He’s shown zero ability to improve upon that.

BucsFan5493
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BucsFan5493 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 am

abloom wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 am I'd be surprised if Tampa doesn't franchise him if they can't get a deal done.

He's a bone head and turns the ball over like a madman, but has talent. He's about to become only the 8th player ever to throw for 5k yards.
He only has to throw that many yards because he gives the other teams so many points because of the INTs. I'd rather see the Bucs grab someone like Tannehill and then develop another QB.
That's a myth for the most part. Jameis' turnovers don't help, but the defense has been atrocious the vast majority of his career. Look at games this year like the Giants, Rams and Seahawks. Only had 1 turnover in each of those games but the defense just couldn't make stops. I agree with your overall point though that if he cut down on the turnovers and/or had a respectable defense, I think his passing yards would definitely drop down.
10 Team Non-PPR Dynasty - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Dak, Trubisky, Mariota
RB: Saquon Barkley, Nick Chubb, Jonathan Taylor, Devonta Freeman, Duke Johnson, Lynn Bowden, Gallman, Perine, Ballage
WR: Julio Jones, Robert Woods, DJ Chark, Gabriel Davis, Emmanuel Sanders, Sterling Shepard, Hakeem Butler, Paris Campbell, Tyler Johnson, Allen Lazard, KJ Hamler, Hunter Renfrow, Alshon, Quintez Cephus
TE: TJ Hockenson, Dallas Goedert, Hunter Henry, Will Dissly, Dawson Knox
DEF: Ravens, Eagles, Dolphins
K: Daniel Carlson

12 Team Full Point PPR SF Dynasty - 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1 SF

QB: Deshaun Watson, Matt Stafford, Wentz, Garoppolo, CJ Beathard, Josh Rosen
RB: Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, Myles Gaskin, Philip Lindsay, Ty Johnson, Deejay Dallas
WR: Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Courtland Sutton, Sterling Shepard, Gabriel Davis, Adam Humphries, N'Keal Henry, Cam Sims
TE: Dallas Goedert, Gerald Everett, Will Dissly, Donald Parham

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:31 am

BucsFan5493 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 am That's a myth for the most part. Jameis' turnovers don't help, but the defense has been atrocious the vast majority of his career.
lots of good QBs have had horrible Ds though.
and if your D isn't good, calling it back on the field after only a 1 minute breather cause you chucked it to the opponent's DBs is hardly going to help it.

BucsFan5493
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BucsFan5493 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:55 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:31 am
BucsFan5493 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 am That's a myth for the most part. Jameis' turnovers don't help, but the defense has been atrocious the vast majority of his career.
lots of good QBs have had horrible Ds though.
and if your D isn't good, calling it back on the field after only a 1 minute breather cause you chucked it to the opponent's DBs is hardly going to help it.
The turnovers for sure play a factor, but the defense plays the biggest part in why he has to throw so much. Like I said, you don't have to look any further than this year to find multiple examples of games in which he turned the ball over just once and the D still let up 30+ points.
10 Team Non-PPR Dynasty - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Dak, Trubisky, Mariota
RB: Saquon Barkley, Nick Chubb, Jonathan Taylor, Devonta Freeman, Duke Johnson, Lynn Bowden, Gallman, Perine, Ballage
WR: Julio Jones, Robert Woods, DJ Chark, Gabriel Davis, Emmanuel Sanders, Sterling Shepard, Hakeem Butler, Paris Campbell, Tyler Johnson, Allen Lazard, KJ Hamler, Hunter Renfrow, Alshon, Quintez Cephus
TE: TJ Hockenson, Dallas Goedert, Hunter Henry, Will Dissly, Dawson Knox
DEF: Ravens, Eagles, Dolphins
K: Daniel Carlson

12 Team Full Point PPR SF Dynasty - 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1 SF

QB: Deshaun Watson, Matt Stafford, Wentz, Garoppolo, CJ Beathard, Josh Rosen
RB: Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, Myles Gaskin, Philip Lindsay, Ty Johnson, Deejay Dallas
WR: Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Courtland Sutton, Sterling Shepard, Gabriel Davis, Adam Humphries, N'Keal Henry, Cam Sims
TE: Dallas Goedert, Gerald Everett, Will Dissly, Donald Parham

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:31 pm

He's the exact same player he was day 1 rookie year. That's alarming.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Winston will be 26 years old when he hits free agency. If Tampa Bay doesn't bring him back, some team will bank on a change of scenery helping him. He's still young enough to be enticing to teams that they can still mold him the right way.

For Tampa, the reality is this:

1. They currently hold the 11th pick, where it's possible to get a new QB, but it may not be one that's ready to start from Day 1 in a Bruce Arians offense.
2. They do not have another QB on the roster to start for next year.
3. They will absolutely need a bridge QB, whether it's Winston or someone else.

My money is on Winston returning on a short-term deal to TB.

gunfrees
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gunfrees » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm

The turnovers are a problem, but even when he throws 2 or less per game the team still finds a way to let him down. Give him a run game and a decent OLine and I think he'll thrive
12 team dynasty | SF | 1 ppr

QBs: Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Kirk Cousins
WRs: Deebo, Godwin, Mbrown, JDowns
RBs: Chubb, Gibbs, Achane, K. Miller
TE: Okonkwo, Mayer

2024 1.03, 1.09
2025 early 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, early 2nd, 2nd
2026 early 1st, 1st, early 2nd
----------

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm

gunfrees wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm Image

The turnovers are a problem, but even when he throws 2 or less per game the team still finds a way to let him down. Give him a run game and a decent OLine and I think he'll thrive
What’s obvious to all is Winston does have skill but what is even more obvious is he can’t read defenses.

Turnovers will ultimately undo him.

2 per game at the NFL level is unacceptable. He is the one letting his team down.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm

It’s a two way street and I think varies game to game (as to who the loss falls on). The D has had flashes, but also crumbles. The run game is inconsistent at best. Their pass blocking is questionable. There special teams is inconsistent. Overall, Jameis fits right in. He’s just part of the problem. I wouldn’t put more on him than the other spots, as I’ve seen him do very good and his team stink in every facet around him. That said, he has his share is silly plays and games as well. Inconsistency is his issue. His team doesn’t help him though. He had to shoulder a lot, fairly or unfairly.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:53 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm It’s a two way street and I think varies game to game (as to who the loss falls on). The D has had flashes, but also crumbles. The run game is inconsistent at best. Their pass blocking is questionable. There special teams is inconsistent. Overall, Jameis fits right in. He’s just part of the problem. I wouldn’t put more on him than the other spots, as I’ve seen him do very good and his team stink in every facet around him. That said, he has his share is silly plays and games as well. Inconsistency is his issue. His team doesn’t help him though. He had to shoulder a lot, fairly or unfairly.
I guess you can argue plenty of blame to go around but when a QB has played in 67 games and has 78 interceptions that is a problem. Throw in another 18 fumbles and the problem grows. So far this season he has 22 TD's and 20 Int's which leads the league by 6 Int's.

Fantasy wise he is a solid QB, NFL wise this team will never go anywhere unless he somehow cleans this up but this year he is regressing in the turnover department.

Teams can deal just fine with a 2 to 1 ratio but when it is close to a 1-1 the odds of finishing anywhere close to above 500 is slim.

Winston is like Cutler IMO. One can see the potential but in the end he is a coach killer because they throw more interceptions than games played. These days given how much teams throw, a 3.3 career int. percentage is not good. Winston is up to 4.6% this year.

I get he throws a beautiful ball but that coach won't tolerate those turnovers much longer.

I expect Tampa to move on next season personally which will hurt both Evans and Godwin so those two WR's are sell high candidates this off season IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am

First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning
17,190 yards, 117 TDs, 84 INTs, 61% completion rate, 85.4 passer rating

Jameis Winston:
18,399 yards, 111 TDs, 78 INTs, 61% completion rate, 86.9 passer rating
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 am

Attachments
IMG_20191215_084240.jpg
IMG_20191215_084240.jpg (183.49 KiB) Viewed 363 times
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:03 am

Ice wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:50 pm
gunfrees wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm Image

What’s obvious to all is Winston does have skill but what is even more obvious is he can’t read defenses.

Turnovers will ultimately undo him.

2 per game at the NFL level is unacceptable. He is the one letting his team down.
It should be noted that not all of those turnover games listed were Winstons - and thats a team turnover stat not Winston INT stat - ie other players fumbles included.

For example 2017 had a 3 INT game that the Buccaneers lost with Fitzpatrick as starter for most of the game (he threw all 3 INTs).

Fitzpatrick was also the starter in 2018 for 4 games where he threw 2 or more INTs (all losses). S

Just pointing out thats a team stat being shared - not a Winston stat.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:05 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning

Jameis Winston:
Careful, I made this comparison a while ago and people jumped down my throat.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:49 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:05 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:40 am First 67 career starts:

Peyton Manning

Jameis Winston:
Careful, I made this comparison a while ago and people jumped down my throat.
Comparing any QB's stats today to those close to 2 decades ago is silly and irresponsible considering the changes made to offenses and the passing game.