Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: Tannehill to Titans

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm not arguing that a 4th is a good deal for the right team in respect of the right QB. But we are talking about the Titans here, not the loaded Eagles roster of 2017. You guys cherry pick one example when a great team was able to fall back onto a backup who outplayed the starter. That happens once in a blue moon and certainly won't be the case in Tennessee, who are a 6-10 team in a division with an ascending Indy and a perennially strong if not great Houston team.

Tennessee should be trading away it's mediocre QBs not adding more of them.

At least Miami got this point right finally.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Feels win/win and signifies the rebuild for Miami given they aren’t going to get anything better for the season. 2020 QB feels the direction, unless they want to really push in chips and move up for a guy they like that slides to a manageable range (or that they like who is available in their current range).

If the Titans hold open competition, I don’t know if it is a slam dunk Mariota wins. As the incumbent and franchise guy, he will get the job (rightfully so), but I’m not sure there will be much or any drop off if/when Mariota goes down, which is both a positive and a negative for them. The Titans overall are so middle of the road. Oh Corey Davis, there was so much optimism.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 pm Feels win/win and signifies the rebuild for Miami given they aren’t going to get anything better for the season. 2020 QB feels the direction, unless they want to really push in chips and move up for a guy they like that slides to a manageable range (or that they like who is available in their current range).
I don't know much about Miami, but they seem to be one of those teams right now that has a dearth of talent everywhere. Don't they need at least two solid drafts to rebuild? Tanking in 2019 would be a great approach for them.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pm I'm not arguing that a 4th is a good deal for the right team in respect of the right QB. But we are talking about the Titans here, not the loaded Eagles roster of 2017. You guys cherry pick one example when a great team was able to fall back onto a backup who outplayed the starter. That happens once in a blue moon and certainly won't be the case in Tennessee, who are a 6-10 team in a division with an ascending Indy and a perennially strong if not great Houston team.

Well the Eagles are an obvious recent example. Denver won a super bowl with their backup lol. Dallas won 10 games or whatever when Dak thrived his rookie season. Most teams instantly become a dumpster fire because they’re not prepared with a backup QB. Colts lost Peyton went 1-15 or whatever. Redskins last year. The Giants have been stuck playing their backup for 15 years now and won 2 Super Bowls. Quality backups matter.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pmThat happens once in a blue moon and certainly won't be the case in Tennessee, who are a 6-10 team in a division with an ascending Indy and a perennially strong if not great Houston team.
The Titans finished 9-7 last year - and could have very feasibly finished 10-6 & made the playoffs over Indy if they were not forced to start Blaine Gabbert in week 17.

The year prior to that they were also 9-7 and snuck into the playoffs as a wildcard.

They have the best record in their division over the past two years.

The Titans may not be a powerhouse or even a sexy team; but don't act like the other teams in that division ARE powerhouses that are that much better than them.

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pm I'm not arguing that a 4th is a good deal for the right team in respect of the right QB. But we are talking about the Titans here, not the loaded Eagles roster of 2017. You guys cherry pick one example when a great team was able to fall back onto a backup who outplayed the starter. That happens once in a blue moon and certainly won't be the case in Tennessee, who are a 6-10 team in a division with an ascending Indy and a perennially strong if not great Houston team.

Why are they a 6-10 team? Because you say so? Who are you?

They've been 9-7 the last three seasons and would have made the playoffs two years in a row if they had a competent backup. That's why they traded for Tannehill.

Ask a Giants fan if making the playoffs is important. An average team with a mediocre QB on a hot streak can win a Super Bowl (twice).

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm In 2019, Tennessee is the 4th best team in the division.
Which 12 teams are making the playoffs?
Since you seem to know everything.

splendorlex
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby splendorlex » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm

I'd say it's a lot like the outcomes of the draft - with trades like this you don't really know for a year or more if it was good for either or both sides. At first blush, I like it for both. I like it for Miami just based on the $ savings alone, and it seems obvious they need to go in a new direction. I like it for Tennessee because I just don't believe in Mariota anymore, and they have to have someone else to check out. And though Tannehill has not had great success in the NFL, he has had flashes. If I knew more about the offensive direction of the Titans I think I might have a stronger opinion, but I really don't know much about the new O Coordinator Arthur Smith. (Look for any article in April!) I do expect they may go back to being more run heavy, but who knows?

In short, if there's one thing I think we know, it's that finding QBs is really, really hard. Spending a 4th on a guy that still "could be" makes perfect sense to me with the current hit rate of rookie QBs.
My DLF Articles
Twitter: @RyanCFinley
DLF Premium League
Team IrishDoom
Kitchen Sink 4
First Pick of Destiny
Maddog Football League (Keeper)
F Bombs

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm In 2019, Tennessee is the 4th best team in the division.
If they are, there isn’t that big of a separation. Had Houston acquired Tannehill at the same price would you be saying the same thing, or do you just have an exceptionally low opinion of Tennessee?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:22 am

I'm a Titans fan and I think the Tannehill move makes sense. Mariota cant stay healthy and has never had any competition at all. Perhaps this pushes him to new heights. More than likely this is a much better backup than Gabbert, Matt Cassell, and Zach Mettenberger when Mariota gets his annual injury.

As far as the Titans as an organization, I feel like they are on the verge of a Bengals like run. Staying between 6 and 10 wins. Never bad enough to get that top 5 pick, but never quite good enough to be a legit super bowl threat. When they fired Mularkey, they hired Vrabel because he was a "leader of men" instead of a young offensive mind to help a young QB. Then LaFleur leaves and they promote from within for "continuity". Why you want continuity of an awful offense is beyond me, but whatever. I just feel like this looks too much like the Bengals last decade.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Tannehill Is the QB2 Since Mariota Went Down

Postby hoos89 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Has looked solid in 4 weeks with the Titans.
Last edited by hoos89 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

Postby eNdblu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm

I'd guess that TEN signs him as their bridge starter on a 2-3 year deal if he keeps being productive and they draft a QB as a developmental guy
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Re: Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

Postby Dibbles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:43 pm

eNdblu wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm I'd guess that TEN signs him as their bridge starter on a 2-3 year deal if he keeps being productive and they draft a QB as a developmental guy
I agree with this.