Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Josh Gordon Reinstatement

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:11 am
jcc6fd wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:07 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:03 am

Yea! Aka boondoggling
Exactly my point. Their methodology is out of whack and isn't just/fair.
NFLPA signed off on this system in the CBA. PEDs should be punished more severely than addiction to recreational drugs anyway. PEDs affect the competitive balance and hurt the league, the one most hurt by Gordon's issues is Gordon himself.
He has hurt plenty of fantasy owners everywhere

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am
jcc6fd wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:07 am

Exactly my point. Their methodology is out of whack and isn't just/fair.
NFLPA signed off on this system in the CBA. PEDs should be punished more severely than addiction to recreational drugs anyway. PEDs affect the competitive balance and hurt the league, the one most hurt by Gordon's issues is Gordon himself.
And that has nothing to do with the NFL or their suspension policies.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 pm

The “discretion” the commissioner has shown regarding recreational drug use seems to have totally changed a lot through the Gordon saga. Just curious as to why he gets preferable treatment, I.e. unlimited chances. Or maybe the league is changing for the better in relation to the changing legal status of marijuana?

I also understand that the NFLPA agreed to the CBA, making it “fair.” However, laws exist aren’t fair or equitable. The Gordon/Tate comparison seems to prove that to me, and I blame the NFL for this inequity because these are rules they presumably fought for.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:16 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am

And that has nothing to do with the NFL or their suspension policies.
Joke --------->

You

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 pm The “discretion” the commissioner has shown regarding recreational drug use seems to have totally changed a lot through the Gordon saga. Just curious as to why he gets preferable treatment, I.e. unlimited chances. Or maybe the league is changing for the better in relation to the changing legal status of marijuana?

I also understand that the NFLPA agreed to the CBA, making it “fair.” However, laws exist aren’t fair or equitable. The Gordon/Tate comparison seems to prove that to me, and I blame the NFL for this inequity because these are rules they presumably fought for.
The league office has soften it's stance clearly, but I'd hope you can see the difference between a substance that can increase performance and affect individualized pay and competitive balance and one most often used a pain medication, that reduces reaction time and awareness, and that 1/3~+ of the league reportedly uses.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:24 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 pm The “discretion” the commissioner has shown regarding recreational drug use seems to have totally changed a lot through the Gordon saga. Just curious as to why he gets preferable treatment, I.e. unlimited chances. Or maybe the league is changing for the better in relation to the changing legal status of marijuana?

Again Tate/Gordon situations aren't comparable because it is explicitly stated in the CBA that PED violations are 4 games, it's not an arbitrary number the league decided to assign. Personal conduct and recreational drug infractions are a lot more subjective because each instance is different and there is a lot of information that we the general public are not privy to. Golden Tate cheated the game and affected the competitive balance of the league (at least by the letter of the law). Gordon is hurting primarily himself and secondly the team that chose to invest in him, but he is not performing a violation that provides him or his team a competitive advantage.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:31 pm

They are comparable. I'm comparing them under the context that the consequences for their different offenses are not just. My issue is with the CBA if it gives the NFL to make unfair judgement. One person is committing federal drug crimes and the NFL doesn't punish him. He should face criminal charges but doesn't because he's rich. The person tried to have a baby and he gets a 4 game ban because there are trace amounts of an ingredient that could in theory be used to improve performance in large doses. Let me explain further:

I think you're missing my point because you think Tate committed some kind of egregious crime against the game. The fact is, he didn't. There is likely some type of hormone involved in increasing fertility that if taken in large quantities could improve his performance. There is absolutely 0 chance he plays better because of this. He does the right thing, self reports and is punished to the full extent of an unflinching rule in a case where there's obvious grey area (hence my reference to the NCAA who punished Mizzou with huge penalties for minor crimes while Duke and Kentucky get off scott free for breaking huge rules but refusing to cooperate with investigations).

Then in contrast you look at Gordon. He's been given multiple chances, and despite anyone's views on the issue is breaking actual state and US laws regarding substance abuse. i.e. he could be in jail for what he's done. The fact that the established system punishes Tate without discretion infinitely more than Gordon seems unjust to me. If we were actually comparing someone taking steroids or other PEDs that would give someone a competitive advantage, I would concede that it's the NFL's responsibility to police the integrity of their league over state/national law. But this isn't the case. Probably wasting my time though. Just don't think Gordon deserves his 5th chance. He deserves help as a human being, not a career in the NFL for who's rules he's broken many times but receives preferential treatment.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:38 pm

More likely Tate knew he was about to get caught and found a way to put a sympathetic spin on it. He violated the CBA and is now paying the consequences for that violation as spelled out in the CBA.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Having Tom Brady & Robert Kraft in your corner probably helps a lot more than Jimmy Haslam.

Personally while I am disappointed by the Tate suspension - if the NFL goes by the letter of the law rather than the spirit then unfortunately not much we can do about it.

Also as an fyi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Unit ... _farm_bill

On December 20, 2018, President Donald Trump signed the farm bill which descheduled hemp, making cannabis under 0.3% THC legal once again.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: Josh Gordon to be released

Postby hoos89 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Gordon released from IR.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Curious to see who, if anyone he lands with. Since the trade deadline has passed, my guess is that the Patriots released him since they could not get anything via trade?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:15 pm

ArrylT wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:06 pm Curious to see who, if anyone he lands with. Since the trade deadline has passed, my guess is that the Patriots released him since they could not get anything via trade?
Maybe, or maybe the only teams offering something for him were contenders and they'd rather forego a 5th or whatever to have him end up on the Dolphins.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm

He's done. He was never a great route runner, and now that he isn't the physically dominating force he was for that one great year, he is done as a FF difference maker. I had argued he has been done for about 4 years now, but it's time to call it a day. The guy isn't anything special anymore, and that is sad. What a waste, all those years where he could have been.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:38 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm He's done. He was never a great route runner, and now that he isn't the physically dominating force he was for that one great year, he is done as a FF difference maker. I had argued he has been done for about 4 years now, but it's time to call it a day. The guy isn't anything special anymore, and that is sad. What a waste, all those years where he could have been.
Unfortunately I think you’re correct. I’m finally off the Josh Gordon wagon as far as fantasy football is concerned. Actually I was off about five weeks ago. I will continue to root for him and hope his career continues but it will not be on my fantasy football teams.

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:41 am

If nothing else he's been a fun trading piece for the past few years. He was on a lot of waiver wire's 2 years ago, then a high upside starting WR, then back in rehab, then back as a staring WR, now a free agent again. Lots of opportunity for profit taking.