O.J. Howard Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: OJ Howard Panic?

Postby mild » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:44 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 pm Time to buy from the owner that was holding out hope he would be moved at the deadline.
Exactly. He is still a tremendous buy-low.
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:19 pm Predicting a TE with 2 season ending surgeries in his first 2 years (and is missing time again, BTW) is a bit much. Predicting any NFL players career, even a QB lasting another ten years is a bit much.

Why is he a smart buy if people want top 5 TE prices? If your getting him super cheap, sure, but if people want those top 5 prices because people thought he was going to be the next big TE producer, he's certainly not a buy.
Any room in your league? :lol: I don't know if you've noticed this, but we're *literally* in the prediction business. That's Dynasty.

He's still an excellent buy-low candidate. You will note that was my exact term. I was not saying to pay "top 5 prices" - you're welcome to keep mis-appropriating my reply to serve... whatever point it is you're trying to make here, I guess. Here's MY point, though:

OJH is an elite TE in a league sorely lacking them. He has flashed huge playmaking upside as a receiver on limited snap shares in his first two years. He is in his 3rd year, at a position that usually takes *at least* that long to bear fruit - arguably, he is ahead of schedule. TE's with elite athleticism have a far higher chance of lasting 10 years (and getting repeated chances!) than just about any other position - Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, hell, even Ben Watson are all great examples of TE's that have lasted a lot longer than is reasonable.

You can either choose to believe that what you're seeing at this exact moment is his ceiling, his ultimate reality, no chance for a rebound... or you can go watch the tape of any of his prior seasons and see what got people so excited for him coming into this year. And then go make a lowball offer to the owner.

Buy. Low. People. The Patriots came calling for a reason.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:45 pm

mild wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:44 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 pm Time to buy from the owner that was holding out hope he would be moved at the deadline.
Exactly. He is still a tremendous buy-low.
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:19 pm Predicting a TE with 2 season ending surgeries in his first 2 years (and is missing time again, BTW) is a bit much. Predicting any NFL players career, even a QB lasting another ten years is a bit much.

Why is he a smart buy if people want top 5 TE prices? If your getting him super cheap, sure, but if people want those top 5 prices because people thought he was going to be the next big TE producer, he's certainly not a buy.
Any room in your league? :lol: I don't know if you've noticed this, but we're *literally* in the prediction business. That's Dynasty.

He's still an excellent buy-low candidate. You will note that was my exact term. I was not saying to pay "top 5 prices" - you're welcome to keep mis-appropriating my reply to serve... whatever point it is you're trying to make here, I guess. Here's MY point, though:

OJH is an elite TE in a league sorely lacking them. He has flashed huge playmaking upside as a receiver on limited snap shares in his first two years. He is in his 3rd year, at a position that usually takes *at least* that long to bear fruit - arguably, he is ahead of schedule. TE's with elite athleticism have a far higher chance of lasting 10 years (and getting repeated chances!) than just about any other position - Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, hell, even Ben Watson are all great examples of TE's that have lasted a lot longer than is reasonable.

You can either choose to believe that what you're seeing at this exact moment is his ceiling, his ultimate reality, no chance for a rebound... or you can go watch the tape of any of his prior seasons and see what got people so excited for him coming into this year. And then go make a lowball offer to the owner.

Buy. Low. People. The Patriots came calling for a reason.
First off, I agree he's a decent buy low candidate, if very cheap. I didn't articulate that part well. I understand it's Dynasty. However stating someone playing into their mid 30's at that position is a bit much. You didn't say he might have another decade left, you said he had another decade left. My point was merely that it's not a certainty that OJH is playing for ten more years. I said you predicted it, but you made the statement more as a fact. I was just trying to say it's not as certain as you might think.

I don't think anybody think this season is OJ's ceiling, but he's not even start worthy right now, and most people aren't selling at a discount, because they are too heavily invested. I traded him in 2 leagues this off season when I could get top 5 TE prices, because I saw this coming, to an extent. If someone wants to give up on him, and trade him back to me at a much cheaper price, sure, I'll do it, but I am not seeing many people doing that right now.

OJH may be an elite TE someday, but I'm not going to be surprised if he isn't.

Sadly, there is no room in my leagues, BTW. :roll:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:19 pm
Predicting a TE with 2 season ending surgeries in his first 2 years (and is missing time again, BTW) is a bit much. Predicting any NFL players career, even a QB lasting another ten years is a bit much.

Are most owners still demanding top 5 TE prices at this point? I think people calling him a buy are saying you should buy him from owners who are panicking and looking to unload him for a 2nd or less, not that he's someone you should buy at his peak value. I just got him for Jordan Howard, for instance.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:32 pm

hoos89 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:19 pm
Predicting a TE with 2 season ending surgeries in his first 2 years (and is missing time again, BTW) is a bit much. Predicting any NFL players career, even a QB lasting another ten years is a bit much.

Are most owners still demanding top 5 TE prices at this point? I think people calling him a buy are saying you should buy him from owners who are panicking and looking to unload him for a 2nd or less, not that he's someone you should buy at his peak value. I just got him for Jordan Howard, for instance.
In my leagues, yeah. Two of them I traded OJ to this off season though, so I can see why they don't want to trade him back to me at half the price.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 pm

I remember watching Howards tape a few years ago and thinking he's an athlete playing TE, not a football player at TE. He should convert to LB.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 pm I remember watching Howards tape a few years ago and thinking he's an athlete playing TE, not a football player at TE. He should convert to LB.
:crazy:

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:27 am

He was dropped for Ben Watson in one of my leagues today

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:27 am He was dropped for Ben Watson in one of my leagues today
In a dynasty league? That's insane.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:48 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:27 am He was dropped for Ben Watson in one of my leagues today
lol yep. It's a free league I joined for shites & gigs
Owners have been mostly competent outside of this move

Notable players he could have dropped instead of Howard: Paul Richardson, Chris Hogan, Terrell Pryor

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:48 am

Notable players he could have dropped instead of Howard: Paul Richardson, Chris Hogan, Terrell Pryor
Bet it's another Sleeper league of yours...

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:02 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 am

Bet it's another Sleeper league of yours...
Is there a stigma associated with Sleeper that I am unaware of...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 pm I remember watching Howards tape a few years ago and thinking he's an athlete playing TE, not a football player at TE. He should convert to LB.
That's just silly.

LB's need to have football instinct even more than TE's.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 am

lol yep. It's a free leag

Do I need to spell it out for you?
Last edited by Cult of Dionysus on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 am

lol yep. It's a free leag

Do I need to spell it out for you?
lol

The highlighted players prove the incompetence of one owner
That's enough for you to discredit anyone who uses Sleeper as their league platform...?

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am

Nah, I think, and others as well, that you're a troll. And it's convenient for you to cite Sleeper leagues, to which you can't provide any links...

Why don't my you provide Arrylt or DLF Mike your league logins. If they confirm your legit, I'll do a massive mean culpa and donate $100 to the (legitimate) charity of your choice.