My Favourite Story line of the year: Cam is done

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: My Favourite Story line of the year: Cam is done

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:37 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:25 pm You may want to go back and relook at Cunningham. He had one freak year at 35, but was otherwise done at 27.

Or the Eagles just believed he was done and he didn't get much of a chance to prove otherwise there, and then he went somewhere else that knew how to use him properly and he flourished again just like Kurt Warner.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Didn’t cam throw for 400 in his first nfl game, lmao @ Lamar being a better passer

Edit: back to back 400+ yards to start his career

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm typically a Cam detractor, but I feel like we're exaggerating this a bit. He's not that bad of a passer. If he was, he wouldn't have lasted in the NFL.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:46 pm I'm typically a Cam detractor, but I feel like we're exaggerating this a bit. He's not that bad of a passer. If he was, he wouldn't have lasted in the NFL.
x2

The hate on his passing ability has gone too far. He'll never be Drew Brees, but he's not Mitchell Trubisky either.

My take on him? Dude's 30 not 40. Him trying to persevere through an injury has really colored people's perceptions of his passing abilities -- which were also hampered by his foot injury/shoulder injury from last season.

He's not done, and likely has at least 4 - 5 more quality years left.

I do think his days as a contender for the QB1 in fantasy are over (his body will take longer to heal and he'll miss more games than he has in years past) but he is absolutely still a quality NFL starting QB.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:37 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:25 pm You may want to go back and relook at Cunningham. He had one freak year at 35, but was otherwise done at 27.

Or the Eagles just believed he was done and he didn't get much of a chance to prove otherwise there, and then he went somewhere else that knew how to use him properly and he flourished again just like Kurt Warner.
He tore his ACL and missed a season at 28. His age 29 season was fine, but certainly a significant dropoff from where he was. He then broke his leg after four games into his age 30 season and missed the rest of the year. Age 31 he was bad, his rushing ability had mostly departed and he ended up being replaced by Rodney Peete towards the end of the season. From that point on, he offered almost nothing as a rusher and had one good year as a passer at age 35. He also happened to have one of the greatest offenses of all time around him.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:06 pm

He went from being 260-265 to 230 lbs after adopting a vegan lifestyle, if he continues to stay vegan his career is over.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:13 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:37 pm

He tore his ACL and missed a season at 28. His age 29 season was fine, but certainly a significant dropoff from where he was. He then broke his leg after four games into his age 30 season and missed the rest of the year. Age 31 he was bad, his rushing ability had mostly departed and he ended up being replaced by Rodney Peete towards the end of the season. From that point on, he offered almost nothing as a rusher and had one good year as a passer at age 35. He also happened to have one of the greatest offenses of all time around him.
And they changed to a West Coast system that didn't fit his talents. Plus like I said that era was far more physical and violent and less open to QBs of that kind of skillset, yet he had that amount of success for a good period of time and played into his late 30's. Imagine what he (or now Lamar) could be in today's NFL.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:25 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53 pm Randall Cunningham had a lengthy career in an era that was far more physical and didn't protect the QB like they do now, and did not value the skillset as much as they do now. There's no reason Lamar can't go on to have similar or greater success than him in todays game and with his skillset. I think as Lamar's career progresses he'll shift more and more towards a Russell Wilson style running QB who uses his legs to expand his effectiveness as a passer, but for now he's not advanced enough as a passer to do this but he is incredibly dangerous as a runner so he uses it for the time being. Obviously this is football and everyone is susceptible to having their career come to an end at a moments notice, and Lamar might be slightly more susceptible to the big hit due to his open field and sideline running, but he makes a concerted effort to protect himself as much as possible and he did put on a good bit of weight in the offseason. I just think he is putting in the vital work that is needed at the beginning of his career that Cam and Vick did not, which will lead to more sustained success later in his career when age and injury start taking a toll on his physical talents.
You may want to go back and relook at Cunningham. He had one freak year at 35, but was otherwise done at 27.

Cam outlasted Culpepper who is probably his closest comp. Maybe he can tough it out and play a few more years like Steve McNair, but that did not end well. Running QBs have about the same lifespan as a running back. Vick was able to extend a bit because he took a year off to go to prison. McNabb was able to become a reasonably decent pocket passer. At this point, Cam has remained an effective rusher longer than any other running QB to date.
Please don't make going to prison sound so blase. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:54 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-are-we-deb ... 24147.html

Not all sports media is pushing the Cam Newton is done narrative.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:07 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:54 pm https://sports.yahoo.com/why-are-we-deb ... 24147.html

Not all sports media is pushing the Cam Newton is done narrative.
Interestingly, while I don't believe Cam is done; I do think there is a bit of a QB controversy brewing.

Kyle Allen isn't your average UDFA-- Number 1 QB out of highschool who had instant success in college and had a very strange route to the NFL where he left early despite not having a full season for NFL teams to judge him by.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Cam may have another 1-2 QB 10-12 seasons left in him, but I don't put his ceiling higher than that. I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't finish that well moving forward.

He hasn't developed enough as a passer, and it's to his detriment. Lamar Jackson is a hot topic these days as to what type of QB he'll become. I believe that unless he continues to improve as a passer, he too will have a shortened career when he can no longer beat defenses with his legs. RB's tend to have short shelf-lives in the NFL, running QB's age the same way.

Some people still like to talk about Russell Wilson as a running QB. He's not. He can run, but his passing game chops have developed to the point that he runs to find an open man to target. Even when the Seahawks use the RPO (which is a lot less often than in the past) 95% of the time Russell is handing the ball off. He's an example of how a running QB can transition his game as he ages, and because of it likely has several more seasons of QB1 production ahead of him.

I suppose Josh Allen could be in on this conversation as well, though I haven't seen enough of his game to have an opinion on his development.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:51 am

I think there is a legit chance he goes the way of Luck. Maybe he can try his hand at acting. The commercial where the kid tells Cam hes coming for the Panthers qb job do Cam can be his backup, one of my favorite commercials ever.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 am

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:46 pm I'm typically a Cam detractor, but I feel like we're exaggerating this a bit. He's not that bad of a passer. If he was, he wouldn't have lasted in the NFL.
I think the issue is that if teams now know he doesn't want to run, his game becomes one dimensional. His rushing hides his flaws as a passer because defenses have to scheme for it. It's the same thing for Lamar Jackson. Lamar misses frequently on routine NFL throws that Stafford or Brady hit 9/10. It's glossed over because the Ravens are able to scheme him easier throws or runs because of his athleticism.
Cam's not a bad passer, but he's probably not top 20 in the NFL based on his arm talent alone.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:34 am

I think people are missing the OP's point. Cam isn't a great QB and probably never was, but he'll still most likely get the starting job back from Kyle Allen once he's healthy.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:51 am

SF's defense has shown it's damn good, but Kyle Allen can't have utter meltdown games like that if he's vying to keep this job.