Please explain the Jonnu Smith hype

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jonnu Smith

Postby Bot101 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 am

Dynasty n00b wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:58 am Is anyone buying into Jonnu with his recent sucess?

He has TDs 3 of the last 4 weeks and double digit fantasy points (ppr) in all 4 weeks.

Over have time hes averaging more fantasy points than Olsen, Njoku, Hooper, Burton and just about anyone else who isnt a the very top tier.

Is this just a good stretch and he will fade away soon or do we think hes going to continue?
Hes basically small school version Njoku. Highly athletic except raw. His upside is incredible and hes shown flashes of that upside when given the opportunity. He got benched vs the Texans for allowing sacks on Mariota from Watt and Clowney. Thats on the OC for expecting a second year receiving TE to block a couple of the best pass rushers in the game. He had been gaining elite separation but hasnt been getting the looks till recently. Hes a definite hold/buy.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 am

Dynasty n00b wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:58 am Is anyone buying into Jonnu with his recent sucess?

He has TDs 3 of the last 4 weeks and double digit fantasy points (ppr) in all 4 weeks.

Over have time hes averaging more fantasy points than Olsen, Njoku, Hooper, Burton and just about anyone else who isnt a the very top tier.

Is this just a good stretch and he will fade away soon or do we think hes going to continue?
He caught one pass for 60+ yards and a TD last week. It showed off his athleticism but was kinda fluky. I wouldn't rely on him as a starter in fantasy ROS unless you just don't have anything else.

Long term, I'm absolutely encouraged by what he's done (TE6 overall since his week 8 bye). It sounds like Delanie Walker is trying to make a comeback next year but Jonnu is definitely starting to show signs that he can replace Walker if necessary.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 am

You'd like to see him getting more targets...but he's produced with what he's been given.

I'd have low expectations if you're starting him but if you've got nowhere else to go, it's worth a shot.

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:24 am

Im currently stating him out of necessity in a 2 TE league (have Henry and OJ on IR) but its in a rebuild so i'm not all that worried about his production. I've been incouraged with his play tho. Alot of tightends are extremely TD dependent and atleast he seems to get looks in the redzone and has some big play ability
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 am

Dynasty n00b wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:24 am Im currently stating him out of necessity in a 2 TE league (have Henry and OJ on IR) but its in a rebuild so i'm not all that worried about his production. I've been incouraged with his play tho. Alot of tightends are extremely TD dependent and atleast he seems to get looks in the redzone and has some big play ability
I started Jonnu Smith last week in my 2 TE league with Travis Kelce on a bye.

I was more than pleased with Jonnu Smith's reception, long run and touchdown. :dance:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:00 am

Might finally be time for him to take a step forward with Walkers ankle injury.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:21 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:00 am Might finally be time for him to take a step forward with Walkers ankle injury.
Man I hope so

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jonnu-smith/

Good god that dominator/breakout age/ Sparq combination is truly absurd. Have this guy stashed a lot of places.
If he starts breaking out at 24 this could be huge. He has looked pretty darn good in his opportunities.

Jetsfan06
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jetsfan06 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 am

Just spent a little FAAB in my league to claim him. TE takes forever to develop, but if he was to breakout now would be the time. It seems like he has been good with the targets he has been getting this week. Let’s hope he becomes the next hooper.

QB's - Dak Prescott, Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy, Mac Jones
RB's - Ken Walker, Javonte Williams, James Conner, James Cook, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Kenneth Gainwell, Rico Dowdle, Rashaad Penny
WR's - Amon-ra St Brown, DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Gave Davis, Joshua Palmer, Curtis Samuel, Michael Wilson, Marvin Mims, Rashod Bateman, Dontayvion Wicks.
TE's - George Kittle, Dalton Schultz, Isaiah Likely, Juwan Johnson
Taxi: Demario Douglas, Cedric Tillman, David Bell.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm a little torn, what are people doing with Delanie Walker?

I've got Andrews + Henry so I'm not hurting at TE but even in deeper dynasty leagues...is Walker worth rostering as of today? Even if I tried to trade him I imagine I'd only get a 4th rounder AT best.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Delanie looks done and his connection with Mariota is what made him really attractive. Now that Mariota is finished, I don't think Delanie will be a top 16 TE ROS.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:59 pm Delanie looks done and his connection with Mariota is what made him really attractive. Now that Mariota is finished, I don't think Delanie will be a top 16 TE ROS.
Mariota has missed plenty of games and exited several others early. There has never been a significant drop off for Walker with the crappy backups they have rolled out. The connection angle is bunk, IMO.
That said, this is a big opportunity for Jonnu. He's got a great matchup and another chance to show he should be the TE of the future if Walker sits. Last year he got an extended tryout for tha. The results were mostly negative before coming on late and then getting injured.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:35 am
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:59 pm Delanie looks done and his connection with Mariota is what made him really attractive. Now that Mariota is finished, I don't think Delanie will be a top 16 TE ROS.
Mariota has missed plenty of games and exited several others early. There has never been a significant drop off for Walker with the crappy backups they have rolled out. The connection angle is bunk, IMO.
That said, this is a big opportunity for Jonnu. He's got a great matchup and another chance to show he should be the TE of the future if Walker sits. Last year he got an extended tryout for tha. The results were mostly negative before coming on late and then getting injured.
Obviously it's a small sample size, but Mariota this season targeted his WRs 52% of the time. Tannehill targeted them 71%. If WRs are seeing a 19% increase with Tannehill and Walker is only playing about half of the snaps, what do you think is going to happen? As a Titans fan the Mariota-Walker connection was very real and you could see him lock onto Delanie and ignore everyone else when a pass play needed to be made. Add into it that Walker is having some issues with the ankle he broke last year at age 35 I think it's over for him.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am

The Tannehill sample size is not enough to get anything from, but if it was it'd be bad news for Jonnu as well, right?

I'm just saying look at what Delanie did with other QBs in TN. He was still leading the team in targets, catches, and yards. Walker just happened to be the clear best option during Mariota's career in TN. That's why he still kept getting targeted when Cassell or Mettenberger took over.

I'm not disagreeing that Walker is probably not a good starting TE going forward, I just think it has nothing to do with some magic chemistry with Mariota. He's dinged up again, but after his strong recovery from the brutal injury last year, I am less inclined to think he's going to go out of Jonnu's way quietly. More than likely, the number of receiving options there and with the low pass volume will make none of them dependable options.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 am The Tannehill sample size is not enough to get anything from, but if it was it'd be bad news for Jonnu as well, right?

I'm just saying look at what Delanie did with other QBs in TN. He was still leading the team in targets, catches, and yards. Walker just happened to be the clear best option during Mariota's career in TN. That's why he still kept getting targeted when Cassell or Mettenberger took over.

I'm not disagreeing that Walker is probably not a good starting TE going forward, I just think it has nothing to do with some magic chemistry with Mariota. He's dinged up again, but after his strong recovery from the brutal injury last year, I am less inclined to think he's going to go out of Jonnu's way quietly. More than likely, the number of receiving options there and with the low pass volume will make none of them dependable options.
Sure, but I never said Jonnu was going to ball out now. If you look at my posts I was responding with my thoughts on Delanie, but I have never endorsed Jonnu Smith. I do think though Delanie being done gives a more clear path forward for Jonnu though.

If you are talking dynasty and had a choice of who to roster from this point forward between Delanie and Jonnu I think it's a very easy choice now. I think Jonnu will outproduce Delanie ROS. Looking forward the Titans can cut Delanie after this season and save close to 6.5 million against the cap.