Rams: Ramsey in/Peters out

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Rams: Ramsey in/Peters out

Postby dm1129 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:43 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:47 pm NFL Network analyst saying these moves spoke to a change in scheme- less zone, more man coverage.
yes because peters can't play man. they tried to make him play it last season and he got torched endlessly so they had to switch back to zone.

this year they've played zone again and have been picked apart the last 3 weeks. wade's scheme doesn't work well with zone at the back. so peters had to go.
This is by far the most informed post in this thread and is ignored by the pitchfork gang....perfectly normal for these forums. The mistake is not Ramsey, the mistake was thinking they could fit Peters into Wade's scheme. He has been a disaster and truly hurt the entire defense. Even so, Donald had 20 sacks last year. Talib and Johnson are hurt, so the full effect of this trade will not likely be seen in the short term, but once the secondary is able to give Donald an extra .5 - 1 second, this defense will be completely different.

NFL 1st round picks hit around 50% of the time. People constantly overvalue draft picks.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:31 am

dm1129 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:47 pm NFL Network analyst saying these moves spoke to a change in scheme- less zone, more man coverage.
yes because peters can't play man. they tried to make him play it last season and he got torched endlessly so they had to switch back to zone.

this year they've played zone again and have been picked apart the last 3 weeks. wade's scheme doesn't work well with zone at the back. so peters had to go.
This is by far the most informed post in this thread and is ignored by the pitchfork gang....perfectly normal for these forums. The mistake is not Ramsey, the mistake was thinking they could fit Peters into Wade's scheme. He has been a disaster and truly hurt the entire defense. Even so, Donald had 20 sacks last year. Talib and Johnson are hurt, so the full effect of this trade will not likely be seen in the short term, but once the secondary is able to give Donald an extra .5 - 1 second, this defense will be completely different.

NFL 1st round picks hit around 50% of the time. People constantly overvalue draft picks.
Rams will have gone 4 years without a 1st round pick by 2021. If you think 1st round picks have a low hit rate, just look at the one for 2nd or 3rd round picks. This is a trade you do if you think you are on the brink of a championship. I have seen nothing to indicate that the 2019 Rams are

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:38 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:31 am

Rams will have gone 4 years without a 1st round pick by 2021. If you think 1st round picks have a low hit rate, just look at the one for 2nd or 3rd round picks. This is a trade you do if you think you are on the brink of a championship. I have seen nothing to indicate that the 2019 Rams are
You miss the point. With the 2 1sts that the Rams gave up, they likely would have hit on one and that one 'hit' very possibly would not be on the level of Ramsey. Again, you are exactly the type of owner I am talking about.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 am

Pretty incredible drop off for the Rams' line this year, Sullivan + Saffold really must have been glue keeping the line together. Or you could say that guys like Noteboom + Allen have no business playing? Havenstein has also turned back into a toad.

Either way, Goff and the rushing game just don't have a chance. If you're going to let the OL go to bleep...you need to have a "decently" mobile QB back there to break the pocket when needed.

I think I would have rathered LA pony up for Trent Williams or something but I guess they get Corbett on the cheap to see if he can live up to whatever his potential was thought to be. Big bet on Jalen Ramsey, whew.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:47 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm
Phaded wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:58 pm Rams gonna regret sending 2 1sts for a marginal upgrade at DB.

I honestly don't think this causes a huge downgrade for teams facing them. Ramsey is great, but overrated.

It certainly makes the Jags an interesting team to monitor with those 1s now.
Yep. Rams are going to be a dumpster fire in a few years.
gee, where have i heard that before.

2016 - when they traded up for goff, mortgaged the fututre, blah, blah, blah. how did the titans go with that trade?
2017 - when they signed mcvay as hc, he's too young, it's never worked out before, blah, blah, blah.
2018 - after making all those moves, too many personalities, mcvay can't handle them, eagles dream team scenario, blah, blah, blah.

i think they'll be just fine.
I mean...they haven't looked great this year.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:50 pm

Phaded wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:58 pm Rams gonna regret sending 2 1sts for a marginal upgrade at DB.

I honestly don't think this causes a huge downgrade for teams facing them. Ramsey is great, but overrated.

It certainly makes the Jags an interesting team to monitor with those 1s now.

2016 - when they traded up for goff, mortgaged the fututre, blah, blah, blah. how did the titans go with that trade?
2017 - when they signed mcvay as hc, he's too young, it's never worked out before, blah, blah, blah.
2018 - after making all those moves, too many personalities, mcvay can't handle them, eagles dream team scenario, blah, blah, blah.

I don't really remember about 80% of that, but regardless realistically if Cam/Brees were healthy this year this Rams team would probably be sitting at 1-5 right now.

They're more than a Jalen Ramsey away from being a serious contender right now, and that's before we even account for the notion that stud CBs who switch teams haven't exactly had the best track record on their new squads (Norman on the Skins, Nnamdi on the 9ers, Peters on the Rams).
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm

dm1129 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:38 am

You miss the point. With the 2 1sts that the Rams gave up, they likely would have hit on one and that one 'hit' very possibly would not be on the level of Ramsey. Again, you are exactly the type of owner I am talking about.
That "hit" would be a fraction of the cap compared to Ramsey and allow for that money to be used for an O-Line upgrade

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Yeah my biggest concern here is that the Rams aren't going to be able to upgrade the o-line in the near future unless they hit big in free agency (which I'm not sure they have the cap space to do). I think all of the Rams offensive players take a slight value hit due to this trade.

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 pm

hoos89 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am

I mean...they haven't looked great this year.
yeah they haven't but to be fair they were averaging 29 points per game before last weeks abomination. the defense was letting them down as the pass rush couldn't get to the qb in time before he could just find an open receiver in the soft zone the rams were running.

as for the whiner game the rams shot themselves in the foot too many times and the whiners took control of the game. they were allowed to play their game and the rams oline made it impossible for goff to make anything happen. a truly awful display once noteboom went down.

three pivotal plays which doomed the rams.

1 - fowler jumping offside on the whiners second drive on 3rd and 8. jimmy g couldn't convert but the penalty gave the whiners a second chance and they ended up scoring a td. so instead of getting the ball back at 7-0 the rams found themselves 7-7.

2 - littleton dropped a gift wrapped pick 6 from jimmy g just before the half. the ball hit him in the chest with nobody touching him. so instead of going into the sheds at 14-7 the score remained 7-7.

3 - henderson drops a pitch on the first play of the 2nd half. the whiners get the ball inside the 10 and score a td. the rams find themselves in a 7-14 hole and the oline doesn't let the offense do anything.

that's like a 21 point turnaround on 3 rams unforced errors. all these errors allowed the whiners to play their game. the rams should have been forcing them to play catch up and put some pressure in jimmy g.

it's not as bad as the optics seem. mcvay just has to call a game which takes into account the oline deficiencies. we'll know after the next two games how that works out. the falcons and bengals defenses should give the rams the chance to regroup and return to their scoring ways. if they don't then it's time to hit the panic button.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

The Rams only failed to hit 29 points in two regular season games last season. So yeah, I'd be a little worried about them averaging 29. But that abomination did happen and they're now only 11th in scoring, which is a touchdown less than last year and isn't great for a team that's selling out to try to win a Super Bowl.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 pm
it's not as bad as the optics seem. mcvay just has to call a game which takes into account the oline deficiencies. we'll know after the next two games how that works out. the falcons and bengals defenses should give the rams the chance to regroup and return to their scoring ways. if they don't then it's time to hit the panic button.
I think it's actually worse than the optics show.
The Pats illustrated the perfect way to beat the Rams. Make Jared Goff beat you, 9ers just reiterated that blueprint. For all his hype he's looked mediocre at best as a real life QB this season. His total QBR puts him below Mitchell Trubisky, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, and Case Keenum (member him?). Sure he can bomb it against a team like TB whose corners are essentially playing with their eyes closed.... But with Gurley looking less than elite going forward, this could get ugly real quick. If the helmet communications went out during a game, could Goff actually find where he's supposed to line up?

They lost a premier guard with Saffold walking, and Whitworth was an inch from retirement this offseason. They're trying to plug this hole with a guy (Corbett) who was so bad he couldn't get on the field for the Browns O-Line, which has been so atrocious Baker Mayfield is lucky he is still walking at the moment. Their ROS schedule is okay, weeks 11-16 looks like a brutal stretch tough. They can probably sneak in as a Wild Card team. First they absolutely need to win in Atlanta this week. It looks like they have mortgaged their future betting that Goff can bring them a 'ship in thee next season or two. It's certainly a bold bet.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:44 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm
dm1129 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:38 am

That "hit" would be a fraction of the cap compared to Ramsey and allow for that money to be used for an O-Line upgrade
Not as dramatically as you make it seem because they would also be paying the other 1st round pick that missed. The reality is 1st round picks are around a 50/50 proposition. The odds of getting a player at the level of Ramsey in the draft is obviously much lower than that. Additionally, if a team drafts a player who turns into a star and they want to keep him, they will extend him before the rookie deal is over further reducing the saving you are implying. The Rams' O-line needs improvement, but having Ramsey will allow Wade to run his scheme and that in turn will lessen the pressure on the offense. The idea that the Rams can only improve their O-line in the 1st round and not another way is a little myopic.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm

I have been one of the biggest detractors of the Rams and have not been shy about vocalizing this.
However, as others have said - this team is a lot more than a Jalen Ramsey away from being a true contender.
They still need to extend him too.

The Patriots are not the best example of referencing how to shut down the Rams - BB is the best coach of this era, and potentially all-time. Generally speaking, you know what most teams are going to do in a game but just because you know it doesn't mean you have the ability or players to stop it. BB is a master at adjusting the gameplan, I loathe him but I respect how good he is. Few coaches can adjust a gameplan the way BB does.

One of the most overlooked skills that a GM needs to have (and this often does not come to light until several years down the road) is an ability to manage the salary cap. I know as a Raiders fan as this is something the Raiders have struggled with for a long, long time. I don't think Snead has proven he is good at it, nor has he proven he is bad at it. However, I think nobody is going to say he is great at it at this point in time.

The Rams have a plethora of problems, including the players they lost in the off-season, their offensive line, their injuries, the Todd Gurley problem, Jared Goff and what is going over-looked is the playcalling. There is absolutely NO reason that a QB of Jared Goff's caliber should be throwing nearly 70 times in a single game. The Rams were 1-3 last year (and 0-2 this year) during the season when Goff threw the ball 40+ times, let alone 68.

It feels like the Rams are trying to prove they did not make a mistake by signing Goff to the big money they did (spoiler: they did). This reeks of a panic move because the Rams are realizing that their window is slamming shut fast, if it has not shut already. The Rams are not a contender this year, even with the Ramsey move.

They are slated to have only $22m in cap space next year, and 4 of their free agents currently have an AAV of 9.5m or higher (Talib, Brockers, Whitworth, Fowler) - and that's not even factoring in guys like Littleton & Zuerlein who are dirt cheap while due for a raise. They still need to pay Ramsey, they still need to pay Kupp - and I'm sure there are some others I'm overlooking.
Last edited by Phaded on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm I have been one of the biggest detractors of the Rams and have not been shy about vocalizing this.
However, as others have said - this team is a lot more than a Jalen Ramsey away from being a true contender.
They still need to extend him too.

The Patriots are not the best example of referencing how to shut down the Rams - BB is the best coach of this era, and potentially all-time. Generally speaking, you know what most teams are going to do in a game but just because you know it doesn't mean you have the ability or players to stop it. BB is a master at adjusting the gameplan, I loathe him but I respect how good he is. Few coaches can adjust a gameplan the way BB does.

One of the most overlooked skills that a GM needs to have (and this often does not come to light until several years down the road) is an ability to manage the salary cap. I know as a Raiders fan as this is something the Raiders have struggled with for a long, long time. I don't think Snead has proven he is good at it, nor has he proven he is bad at it. However, I think nobody is going to say he is great at it at this point in time.

The Rams have a plethora of problems, including the players they lost in the off-season, their offensive line, their injuries, the Todd Gurley problem, Jared Goff and what is going over-looked is the playcalling. There is absolutely NO reason that a QB of Jared Goff's caliber should be throwing nearly 70 times in a single game. The Rams were 1-3 last year (and 0-2 this year) during the season when Goff threw the ball 40+ times, let alone 68.

It feels like the Rams are trying to prove they did not make a mistake by signing Goff to the big money they did (spoiler: they did). This reeks of a panic move because the Rams are realizing that their window is slamming shut fast, if it has not shut already. The Rams are not a contender this year, even with the Ramsey move.
Thank you for thee comedy relief, now go over to the Winston thread and tell everyone how good he is..you never change.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:02 pm

I get it, you're a Rams fan - you want to be hyper defensive and decide not to acknowledge what I've actually said. You want to misdirect and change the subject rather than acknowledge the fact your team is turning into a dumpster fire.

It's okay to be in denial, I was for a long time as a Raiders fan. It becomes easier once you accept your team is headed down the wrong side of the hill.

(but for the record, Winston is QB10 while Goff is QB20)
;)