QB1 in Dynasty?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

QB1 in Dynasty?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:08 pm

So after today, where Watson went toe to toe with Mahomes, in his own backyard and beat him, the way he did, is there now a debate? I think there is. I think it has been brewing for some time, however.

Watson has obvious injury concerns, but Mahomes is getting banged up too. The way Watson runs, I feel he's more prone to injury. However what makes him more prone to injury, also makes him more prone to FF points. His ability to extend the play with his legs. I also feel he was a winner at Clemson, and had that ability to put a team on his shoulders. I'd prefer him in a single game to Mahomes, as my QB, personally.

I do feel Watson actually propels his team more, however, by sheer will. A missed FG to go up by 9, an egregious drop by Hopkins to go up by 6, he still propelled his team to the win. On 4th and 3 from the 27, when they could have gone up by 9, they instead put the ball in his hands for the win, and he delivered.

Watson is currently ahead of Mahomes in scoring, in all my leagues. I think the conversation at least needs to be had, at this point. BTW, my own opinion is not what you might think, but I think it's a conversation at this point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: QB1 in Dynasty?

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 am

I'd take Mahomes. Both have elite ability, but I trust Andy Reid to have the better offense (and o-line, specifically) each year than Bill O'Brien.

I can certainly see the argument for Watson, though the injury angle doesn't add up for me.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:00 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 am I'd take Mahomes. Both have elite ability, but I trust Andy Reid to have the better offense (and o-line, specifically) each year than Bill O'Brien.

I can certainly see the argument for Watson, though the injury angle doesn't add up for me.
I trust Andy Reid to plan a good offense that lasts 2 quarters. I don't trust Mahomes to have much of an impact in the second half of games as Andy Reid proves time and again he is clueless when it comes to in game adjustments.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:02 am

I think Watson is easily the #2 QB but there’s still a gap for me between Mahomes and Watson. The gap is smaller now than it was preseason though. Definitely agree though that Watson looks like a winner and I would happily build a superflex/2QB around him. Hell, I would probably rather acquire Watson at his price than Mahomes at his...since Mahomes is nearly untouchable.

Mahomes

Watson

Everyone else

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:31 am

I still think it's Mahomes, hands down. But I also think Watson is the clear QB 2, with a VERY, VERY large tier break between them and everyone else.

Remember, you've been watching Mahomes without Hill for most of the season and without any threat of a running game. Combine that with his ankle injury limiting his playmaking ability outside of the pocket, and I think that explains some of his early-season *struggles*.

And it's still crazy to me that we can call his performances a relative *struggle*, because he's still on pace for 5,600 yards and 37 Touchdowns!
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:32 am

Watson is 2, but Mahomes still clear #1.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 am

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 am

I'd still take Mahommes, but it is closer at the moment than at times over the past year. Watson can put up some monster games, but he also disappears others(jacksonville/carolina).
Mahommes lost almost every weapon he has this year and is still has a floor of 18+fp per game with guys like Pringle, Robinson, and McCoy. All with a high ankle sprain.

That said, Watson is probably more attainable in most leagues.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 am Image
That 3 is appropriate, because that's where he ranks.

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 am

Mahomes was injured for this game, wasnt he. Comparing a healthy watson to an injured mahomes for one game doesnt seem fair. Im taking Mahomes all day and then then the next. Watson is in the the mix with Russ and Lamar also for me.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:08 am

I feel like we seeing a couple things:

1) The natural regression of Mahomes that any sane and data driven person thought was likely.

2) The NFL is starting to catch up on what Mahomes and the Chiefs like to do and have been able to somewhat slow it down.

How much his ankle injury plays into that is up for each individual to decide, but I would still rank Mahomes at QB1 right now. I just never had some massive gap with Mahomes by himself and then everyone else.

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 am

TheNuts wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:00 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 am I'd take Mahomes. Both have elite ability, but I trust Andy Reid to have the better offense (and o-line, specifically) each year than Bill O'Brien.

I trust Andy Reid to plan a good offense that lasts 2 quarters. I don't trust Mahomes to have much of an impact in the second half of games as Andy Reid proves time and again he is clueless when it comes to in game adjustments.
I recall a game or 2 vs the pats, they were almost scoreless at halftime and put up a monster second half.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:42 am

I don't thing there is any true QB1 - I think there are a few guys in that discussion.
I think Mahomes, Watson, and Wilson are all easily in the discussion.
Lamar COULD be in the discussion at the end of this season depending how it plays out.

I have Watson on one of my teams, and I'd have to think long & hard about swapping him for Mahomes.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 am

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 am
Lotto4Life wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 am deleted pic
That 3 is appropriate, because that's where he ranks.
Nice catch. I didn't even notice it!

I'd probably draft Wilson ahead of Watson, not even taking into account that you can probably get him later.