New Studs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: New Studs

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:56 am

Great topic.

The answer is relative to your opinion on what makes a stud. To me, a stud is someone that would be equal in value to three 1st round picks, where at least one of those picks is early (top 1-3).

Barkley obviously.
Juju is a yes as well.

And that'd be it for me. The players OP mentioned at approaching stud, but they have a long way to go.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:02 am

Calvin Ridley is on the path. Not there yet, but if he continues with the TDs and gets to over 1,000 yards each season, I call that stud status.

Nick Chubb is also on that trajectory.

Sony Michel has shown bursts of dominance, but also periods of mediocrity.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:29 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 am
notweswelker wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:10 pm

I'd pump the brakes a bit on DK and Preston so far, Hollywood is pretty far ahead of them and he's still got a ways to go to be declared a stud.
It's been 3 weeks. I know you've got Brown, but let's pump the brakes a little bit there. In the past decade there have been pretty much 0 stud WRs with his build and play style. Most likely you've got a Desean Jackson there, who was definitely a great wide receiver, but he wasn't a stud. The only stud WR to even remotely resemble his build was Antonio, and he had Big Ben throwing him the ball for a decade. Marquise has LJax, and that's not nearly as good. Both PW and DK project as more likely studs than a tiny field stretcher.
Why do so many people discredit other poster's motives on this board? It's super lame and makes me think the rest of your argument isn't worth reading.
Does seem a bit petty to ask a question that has no concrete answer...with the definition of stud being opinion based...and then debate against other users’ opinion based replies. This whole thread is based personal opinions that are gonna be different that everyone else, and it seems childish to challenge other points of view. And to be fair, the same “pump your brakes” argument on DK and Preston is just as applicable to Hollywood and Hock at this point. Even Jacobs, who would prob be the most fantasy productive rookie RB this year, isn’t going to instantly achieve stud status by simply being force fed the ball 20+ times a game.

In my opinion, we are jumping the gun by anointing any 2019 rookie already. And outside of Barkley and maybe Juju, any player drafted in the past two years hasn’t proven that elite status yet.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:32 am

I was hoping this would be a thread about earring fashions. :(
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:45 pm Barkley is the only "stud" from the last 2 drafts to this point, some might argue Chubb but I wouldn't put him there yet. Lamar Jackson is really close too, but still needs to prove consistency.

If we go back 3 drafts add these guys to the list:

Mahomes
Watson

Kamara
CMC

Juju

4 years:

Wentz (borderline)

Zeke

MT
Hill
More seriously this is about what I would agree with, although I would probably replace Wentz with Goff and reinclude Amari Cooper.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:55 am

notweswelker wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:10 pm

I'd pump the brakes a bit on DK and Preston so far, Hollywood is pretty far ahead of them and he's still got a ways to go to be declared a stud.
It's been 3 weeks. I know you've got Brown, but let's pump the brakes a little bit there. In the past decade there have been pretty much 0 stud WRs with his build and play style. Most likely you've got a Desean Jackson there, who was definitely a great wide receiver, but he wasn't a stud. The only stud WR to even remotely resemble his build was Antonio, and he had Big Ben throwing him the ball for a decade. Marquise has LJax, and that's not nearly as good. Both PW and DK project as more likely studs than a tiny field stretcher.
It's been 3 weeks for those guys too, except Brown was a 1st round pick and the #1 WR off the board and has come out of the gates looking the part.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 am

ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:45 pm Barkley is the only "stud" from the last 2 drafts to this point, some might argue Chubb but I wouldn't put him there yet. Lamar Jackson is really close too, but still needs to prove consistency.

Mahomes
Watson

Kamara
CMC

Juju

4 years:

Wentz (borderline)

Zeke

MT
Hill
More seriously this is about what I would agree with, although I would probably replace Wentz with Goff and reinclude Amari Cooper.
Cooper is 5 drafts ago along with Gurley and MG3, and I absolutely would not put Goff over Wentz.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 am
ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am

Mahomes
Watson

Kamara
CMC

Juju

4 years:

Wentz (borderline)

Zeke

MT
Hill
Cooper is 5 drafts ago along with Gurley and MG3, and I absolutely would not put Goff over Wentz.
Yes I am aware of that - thats why I said re-include Cooper since there was a period where many people felt he should never be considered a stud. And I have no problem if you or other owners prefer Wentz to Goff, I prefer Goff to Wentz.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 am

A bit early but the players that are tracking to be future studs

Rookies
M. Brown
J Jacobs
Hock

McLaurin
DK

Multiple IDP players but two;
Bush is already there
Ferrell is real close
These two already have a feel for the game

I do think several WR’s not mentioned will be WR1’s by year 3. They just take time to gel with QB’s and learn their competition on the other side.

I almost never look at offensive rookies as studs except for the occasional RB because that is a position that shows early.

J Allen and Lamar are tracking nicely both are progressing but QB’s take time given the depth at the position is outstanding.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 am

Ice wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 am Hock

McLaurin
Hock over McLaurin and by a wide margin, eh?

Bold!
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:52 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 am
Ice wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 am Hock

McLaurin
Hock over McLaurin and by a wide margin, eh?

Bold!
Not a wide margin but Hock looks to a bit closer to a Lock. I also think Fant will get there as a TE but hasn’t flashed yet.

Hock has much less competition to reach stud status given position depth isn’t as strong
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:46 am

I know everybody is psyched about the rookies, but god damn Courtland Sutton is underrated. I’m not sure whose watched Denver games, but the only thing stopping him from being a top 10 PPR WR this year has been his TD numbers. Even his goose egg has a little to do with bad luck too. All I know is he’s looked like a legitimate WR1 for Denver this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up with 1,100+ yards and hopefully around 6-8 TDs this year.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Alright, was the Preston Williams mention in this thread a joke? I get it now.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 pm

The term ‘stud’ doesn’t mean what it used to apparently.

‘A stud for you! A stud for you! A stud for you!’

Humorous.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:53 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:06 pm Alright, was the Preston Williams mention in this thread a joke? I get it now.
Potential. That's what dynasty is all about, spotting it before it becomes reality and costs 4 1st round picks ala Tyreek Hill/Davante Adams/JuJu.