What Is Your Tendency?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

What Is Your Tendency?

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm

This is a time of year where we get a little too excited, aggravated, over reactive, and antsy in general. Players are overproducing, under producing, injured, flashing, etc. Taken from different years - Antonio Callaway is suddenly worth a late 1st(2018) - Terry McLaurin can't be bought for a 2020 1st - Thomas Rawls top 10? - Jay Ajayi is ranked 9th overall in RBs - Godwin is better than Evans - Diggs is screwed - etc. The list is just a few random examples.

I just wanted to make the point it's probably happening to some degree to each of us right now. So I'm going to suggest that each of us go back and see where we tend to make our mistakes. Do you sell your under producers? Do you buy the flash? Do you give up too soon on rookies? Do you chase points or refuse to admit mistakes in your analysis? I think if we each do a self examination of our past mistakes we might be able to keep from repeating them this year and improve our teams going forward into the future.

My own mistakes are numerous but I have seen myself get too impatient and trade players away that I once believed in because I didn't have the patience to allow the situation to play out. And that can be selling low or just selling to a willing buyer for a little more than I bought for. I'm more of a day trader type in my dynasty ownership(because I'm bad at scouting), looking to take a profit every chance I get, but sometimes I just need to be willing to sit with what I have and know that it's good and getting better, rather than take the quick profit. This applies more to players with good draft capital and perceived talent than late round picks and UDFA. I am a staunch believer in selling for profit all UDFAs and late round picks. That was a leak I had in the past and after being burned a few times and seeing the numbers, I would never consider buying UDFAs and late round picks. I always flip quickly for a profit.

My second leak would be passively pursuing buy low players. I might put a few feelers out but now is the time to aggressively go after the Diggs, Evans(you're a week late now), Corey Davis, OJ Howard, Will Fuller, Mike Williams, etc. The guys with draft capital that we have seen play well and are just depressed value wise for different reasons. I know fear keeps us from acting but this is the time to make the trades that you emotionally are wary of.

Nothing groundbreaking in this post, but hopefully everyone will be able to pause a moment and look at their own tendencies from the past and perhaps navigate past those errors this year.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: What Is Your Tendency?

Postby joeya2001 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm

In the past I have been to impatient with players. Still to an extent I am.

For example

I traded away Will Fuller and Darrell Henderson (because I fell like he may be a bust and didn't want to be left holding the bags)

Got

Matt Breida and Dante Pettis

after 2 weeks in the dog house with Pettis I again felt like he was a flash in the pan and sent him away and Carr

got Corey Davis and AP.

I have gotten lucky with buying players from panicking owners, Cooper in Oakland, Chubb when Hyde was in town.

My biggest flaw is predicting when to sell high and get value back, that's an art I'm working on. My first real test is being patient with Corey Davis.

I also have a rule I don't buy WR's 30 or over, to many go down hill, so when they get 28-gong on 29 I sell.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:56 pm

I do too many buy low deals, and fail to have a diversified player portfolio among my dynasty teams.

Right now I own Mixon on all 6 teams and Diggs in 4. That sucks. Also have Melvin Gordon in several.

Another thing I tend to do is make last minute lineup decisions that really bite me. I had Shady in as my RB2 all week and then swapped in Jacobs - lost by 9 points :(

Also had Hilton starting in another league, then swapped him for Shepard. Then, a minute before kickoff, put in Diggs :(
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Mine is 100 percent trading too much, i have destroyed my team over the years by trading (watch this laundry list) Mt, Tyreek, Davante Adams, Diggs, Mixon, Mack, Golladay, Keenan Allen, Hopkins, and even more. It has made me go into a full rebuild this season, one that has started out better than i thought so those trade demons are bugging me now, i usually always trade my firsts and has made me miss out on the great 2017 class and the pretty good 2018 class. But i am working on this and have been patient. I have two firsts for next years supposedly stacked class and the only major trade i made was Nkeal Harry for Isabella, a first and Gerald Everett. I want to keep these firsts but the trade demon still rears its ugly head sometimes and i need to talk myself out of it. Im doing a lot better so far but its a long season and i worry if i play well i will make another mistake.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm Mine is 100 percent trading too much, i have destroyed my team over the years by trading (watch this laundry list) Mt, Tyreek, Davante Adams, Diggs, Mixon, Mack, Golladay, Keenan Allen, Hopkins, and even more. It has made me go into a full rebuild this season, one that has started out better than i thought so those trade demons are bugging me now, i usually always trade my firsts and has made me miss out on the great 2017 class and the pretty good 2018 class. But i am working on this and have been patient. I have two firsts for next years supposedly stacked class and the only major trade i made was Nkeal Harry for Isabella, a first and Gerald Everett. I want to keep these firsts but the trade demon still rears its ugly head sometimes and i need to talk myself out of it. Im doing a lot better so far but its a long season and i worry if i play well i will make another mistake.
Trading too much is only bad if you are doing it for the wrong reasons, right? What's the root reason you do so much trading? I don't think cutting down on trading is necessarily correct or incorrect, it's more your motivations.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 pm

I don't sell good players because of bad situations. Situations change. Selling studs because of a slow start is a quick way to build bad teams. Imagine panicking and selling someone like Mike Evans because Godwin outproduced him the first two games. People get short memory during the regular season and it will always backfire on them.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm Mine is 100 percent trading too much, i have destroyed my team over the years by trading (watch this laundry list) Mt, Tyreek, Davante Adams, Diggs, Mixon, Mack, Golladay, Keenan Allen, Hopkins, and even more. It has made me go into a full rebuild this season, one that has started out better than i thought so those trade demons are bugging me now, i usually always trade my firsts and has made me miss out on the great 2017 class and the pretty good 2018 class. But i am working on this and have been patient. I have two firsts for next years supposedly stacked class and the only major trade i made was Nkeal Harry for Isabella, a first and Gerald Everett. I want to keep these firsts but the trade demon still rears its ugly head sometimes and i need to talk myself out of it. Im doing a lot better so far but its a long season and i worry if i play well i will make another mistake.
Trading too much is only bad if you are doing it for the wrong reasons, right? What's the root reason you do so much trading? I don't think cutting down on trading is necessarily correct or incorrect, it's more your motivations.
Its been a combination of issues but the early trades of studs i made like MT, Tyreek, and Adams when i was still learning it was quite honestly because i listened too much to the opinions of others on here. I heard all the "Hill is only a gadget player", "MT isnt all that good" and "Adams hasnt put up a 1000 yard season yet" garbage that was spewed on here by both the posters and some of the writers and rankers and i began believing it and then boom those guys were gone, learned my lesson there, dont listen to others. Guys like Diggs, Mixon, and Mack were just injury concerns, i should have been patient there. Trading hopkins was horrific but it was my first year of dynasty so i give it a pass. This is my 5th year and i think i finally have it a bit more figured out. Also sometimes its just fun to trade, and thats not a smart reason either.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 pm

"sometimes it's just fun to trade" is definitely my Achilles' heel

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 pm

For the record, Godwin IS better than Evans.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Slackalacker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Blueboy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 pm "sometimes it's just fun to trade" is definitely my Achilles' heel
That should be my fantasy team motto.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

BlackOmega
All Pro
All Pro

Postby BlackOmega » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Sounds like I'm the opposite of many here my tendency is to not trade much and rely on my drafting skills and the waiver wire. In many of my leagues I'm one of the least likely to trade which has it's own problems as when I make an offer folks are immediately suspicious that I know something about the player I'm interested in and want more than they would had someone else approached them! lol

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:09 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 pm For the record, Godwin IS better than Evans.
:doh: :doh: :wall: :wall:

Let's see how this ages...
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pmi listened too much to the opinions of others on here. I heard all the "Hill is only a gadget player", "MT isnt all that good" and "Adams hasnt put up a 1000 yard season yet" garbage that was spewed on here by both the posters and some of the writers and rankers and i began believing it and then boom those guys were gone, learned my lesson there, dont listen to others.
That would be a bad process too, IMO. When someone makes an argument for/against a player, should always ask why they believe that. Just because a player has limited abilities currently doesn't mean they can't grow and develop beyond being a gadget player.

People will bring perspectives that you don't. Ignoring them robs you of a valuable weapon and weakens your dynasty ability.

What you need to do is judge the strength of a person's argument, not dismiss it entirely because someone else made it. If you dismiss/ignore everything everyone else says, be prepared to do your own scouting for every player, both college and NFL.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:13 am

The less trading I do when drunk, the better off my teams end up.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:32 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 am
Weknownothing86 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pmi listened too much to the opinions of others on here. I heard all the "Hill is only a gadget player", "MT isnt all that good" and "Adams hasnt put up a 1000 yard season yet" garbage that was spewed on here by both the posters and some of the writers and rankers and i began believing it and then boom those guys were gone, learned my lesson there, dont listen to others.
That would be a bad process too, IMO. When someone makes an argument for/against a player, should always ask why they believe that. Just because a player has limited abilities currently doesn't mean they can't grow and develop beyond being a gadget player.

People will bring perspectives that you don't. Ignoring them robs you of a valuable weapon and weakens your dynasty ability.

What you need to do is judge the strength of a person's argument, not dismiss it entirely because someone else made it. If you dismiss/ignore everything everyone else says, be prepared to do your own scouting for every player, both college and NFL.
I understand this point and it makes sense. I am open to others opinions, thats why im on these boards. There is some great insight and opinions on players on here, no doubt. It is especially good for me to hear about college guys or possible waiver wire guys i dont know about. So ill rephrase what i said "Trust your own judgement on a player and dont let others sway you" The issue i had with these 3 guys mentioned (MT, Hill, Adams) is i was all in on them as a believer, then i let myself be swayed by others opinions. Ive learned i just need to trust my own judgement and if its wrong than its wrong. Im currently a big Lamar believer for instance, even with all the doubt, and so far it hasnt totally killed me.