Brady for 2020 1st?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
ace1250
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Brady for 2020 1st?

Postby ace1250 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 am

I'm leaning towards holding him. I'm trying to win this year. He's already a bit desperate so another week or two and he will feel more heat. Brady's schedule appears to be cake. Thanks for all the input.

8 Team - 2QB/SF/4RB/4WR/2TE
Q: Herbert/Kyler/AR/Carr/Baker/Hooker
R: Bijan/DCook/AJones/Dobbins/White/Bigsby/Roschon
W: GWilson/Olave/Hollywood/Burks/Dotson/Jameson/Pickens/Skyy/WanDale
T: Andrews, Goedert, Gesicki, Henry, Bellinger, Likely, Schoonmaker

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 am Don't miss the forest for the trees. The goal of fantasy football is to win championships. If you want to sell Brady in a 3QB league for a 2020 1st, have at it. But when you don't win the championship at the end of the year, you can be sure that will be why.
And when you don't win the championship anyway because you're starting Kerryon, Ingram, and Drake at RB in an 8 team league, and Brady retires next year, and you could have had a top 8 2020 pick...have at it.

MontrealBen
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MontrealBen » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 am Don't miss the forest for the trees. The goal of fantasy football is to win championships. If you want to sell Brady in a 3QB league for a 2020 1st, have at it. But when you don't win the championship at the end of the year, you can be sure that will be why.
This is where I am too. I understand that you have to think long term, but playing to win in 3 years usually means never winning IMO.

Simple question -- is the person you're negotiating with the only one who wants Brady? Put it out to the league that Brady's on the block. The general consensus in the thread seems to be that he should be worth a good QB and a 1st. If you can't get that now, you should be able to get it in 6 weeks when the playoffs are coming. Don't do something rash just because it's the only thing on the table right now.

Football_knowledge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Football_knowledge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 am

Brady isn't going to be the reason you win or lose a championship unless we are talking about real NFL games. Take the trade.

Football_knowledge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Football_knowledge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:51 am

Goddard wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 am
And when you don't win the championship anyway because you're starting Kerryon, Ingram, and Drake at RB in an 8 team league, and Brady retires next year, and you could have had a top 8 2020 pick...have at it.
2nd this. Focus on your RB situation.

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:56 am

He's 2-0 and currently leads the league in points....

If he starts to fade into mediocrity in the next several weeks, my guess is that Brady deal will still be on the table. But if he's still at the top of the leaderboard... I just don't see the need to rush and make a deal like this when you have a team that's in first place.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:56 am

If he starts to fade into mediocrity in the next several weeks, my guess is that Brady deal will still be on the table. But if he's still at the top of the leaderboard... I just don't see the need to rush and make a deal like this when you have a team that's in first place.
It's two weeks...means very little right now. I mentioned his RBs, but also should have pointed out that he's starting two WRs from the same team. In an 8 team league, I just don't think he's a real contender. Maybe you're right and the offer is still on the table a few weeks from now when his team starts to lose a few games, but to me, that's more of a risk than hoping he stays in 1st and wins it all this year. Sometimes I think you just have to take the value and worry about the other stuff later.

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am

Goddard wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am

It's two weeks...means very little right now. I mentioned his RBs, but also should have pointed out that he's starting two WRs from the same team. In an 8 team league, I just don't think he's a real contender. Maybe you're right and the offer is still on the table a few weeks from now when his team starts to lose a few games, but to me, that's more of a risk than hoping he stays in 1st and wins it all this year. Sometimes I think you just have to take the value and worry about the other stuff later.
In a SF or 2QB league I think I probably agree with you. But I think it being a 3QB league makes a difference.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:44 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am
Goddard wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am

In a SF or 2QB league I think I probably agree with you. But I think it being a 3QB league makes a difference.
It's 2QB with a SF, but that's only because it's an 8 team league. That's much closer to a 2QB league in 12 team leagues. I just don't think anyone pays a top 8 2020 1st for a 42 year old player. And if someone is willing to, you jump on that and worry about what it does to your team later. A year from now, that pick is going to be worth so much more than Brady, if he's still even in the league.

ace1250
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ace1250 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am

As of right now he is the only owner who has come forward. I think the 1st + is very good value. It's probably the best offer I will come across. Nobody else will offer a 1st for him. He's desperate and looking stay afloat. And I haven't had to start both Edelman and AB yet. Of course it wasn't in the plans for that happen.

I do think its close and why we have differing opinions on it. Another wrench to throw in to think about is bye weeks.. Watson, Wentz, Brady and Minshew all have week 10 as their BYE.. so I was going to have to make a move between now and then anyhow.

8 Team - 2QB/SF/4RB/4WR/2TE
Q: Herbert/Kyler/AR/Carr/Baker/Hooker
R: Bijan/DCook/AJones/Dobbins/White/Bigsby/Roschon
W: GWilson/Olave/Hollywood/Burks/Dotson/Jameson/Pickens/Skyy/WanDale
T: Andrews, Goedert, Gesicki, Henry, Bellinger, Likely, Schoonmaker

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 am

(a) It's not a 3 QB league, it's 2 QB + SF, and (b) it's 8 team, not 10 or 12 team. That means at most 24 QBs are started each week, which is the same as 12 team 2 QB...except the 3rd QB is superflex so there may not even be 24 QBs in play each week. I'd argue that this should be viewed more like a typical 2 QB system, whereas I get the sense that everyone is putting substantially more of a premium on this than 2QB dictates. Also...it's 4 WR, 4 RB, 2 TE...which means that there are 80 starting flex players, which is way more than the standard 60 in 12 team 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex leagues...which again, mitigates the value added to QBs in this system. A 2020 1st in an 8 team 2 QB + SF league is extremely valuable. There's a great chance that turns into one of the top QBs, Swift or Jeudy. Getting that in return for a 42 yo QB who is probably 1 injury away from hanging up his cleats is insane.

Also the goal of dynasty is to build a dominant team that can win multiple titles. If he takes the trade he's setting himself up well for the future, but if he doesn't Brady will be worth 0 as soon as the end of this season. And what happens if he doesn't make the trade and still doesn't win a title?
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Football_knowledge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Football_knowledge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:26 am

All good points. Sell now while you have a good option rather than later when you may have to settle to make a move.

diamonddave
Captain
Captain

Postby diamonddave » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:26 am

hoos89 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:24 am
(a) It's not a 3 QB league, it's 2 QB + SF, and (b) it's 8 team, not 10 or 12 team. That means at most 24 QBs are started each week, which is the same as 12 team 2 QB...except the 3rd QB is superflex so there may not even be 24 QBs in play each week. I'd argue that this should be viewed more like a typical 2 QB system, whereas I get the sense that everyone is putting substantially more of a premium on this than 2QB dictates. Also...it's 4 WR, 4 RB, 2 TE...which means that there are 80 starting flex players, which is way more than the standard 60 in 12 team 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex leagues...which again, mitigates the value added to QBs in this system. A 2020 1st in an 8 team 2 QB + SF league is extremely valuable. There's a great chance that turns into one of the top QBs, Swift or Jeudy. Getting that in return for a 42 yo QB who is probably 1 injury away from hanging up his cleats is insane.

Also the goal of dynasty is to build a dominant team that can win multiple titles. If he takes the trade he's setting himself up well for the future, but if he doesn't Brady will be worth 0 as soon as the end of this season. And what happens if he doesn't make the trade and still doesn't win a title?
Solid points you make here.
And that's right, the goal of dynasty is not the same as re-draft: the goal of re-draft is to win the ship. The goal of dynasty is to create a team that consistently wins championships--that was the motto of the Spurs: not just to win one, but to consistently win them.
I still think if trading Brady for a #1, you should get a startable QB in return.
12-team, PPR, 2QB, IDP League--Start 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 W/R/T, 2D, 1LB, 1DL, 1DB

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, Gardner Minshew
RB: Saquon Barkley, David Montgomery, D'Onta Foreman, AJ Dillon, Kenneth Gainwell, Jeff Wilson, Rico Dowdle, IR: JK Dobbins
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Devonta Smith, Cooper Kupp, Diontae Johnson, Marquise Brown, Josh Palmer, Dontayvion Wicks, Tutu Atwell
TE: TJ Hockensen, Pat Freiermuth
K: Dustin Hopkins
LB: Roquan Smith, CJ Mosley, Terrel Bernard Ernest Jones, Quincy Williams
DL: Jonathan Greenard , Malcolm Koonce
DB: Jason Pinnock