Mason Rudolph value in a SF?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Mason Rudolph value in a SF?

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 am

Had someone in a 12 team non-PPR Superflex approach me about Mason Rudolph last night. Team has Darnold, Fitzpatrick and Matt Ryan at QB.

Told him I'd be willing to send him for 2 of Singletary/J.Hill/D. Thompson (with another piece added on my side) and the guy went off on me about how Rudolph sucks and is replaceable and the Steelers would likely use their 1st in next year's loaded class on a QB (lol, apparently I can't read).

Given that he approached me, was the initial ask really that unreasonable? What would be a good initial ask for Rudolph in y'all's opinions?
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

trc
Captain
Captain

Re: Mason Rudolph value in a SF?

Postby trc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 am

Didn't they draft him to be the next Big Ben? Or at least the next Franchise QB...

In a SF he should command something like a 1st 2020 value back. Below that value he is a hold.

EDIT and the Steelers just used their 1st next year in a trade.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:24 am

Well, you can tell him to go shove it. He's trying to lowball you, especially in SF format.

With the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade today, and Big Ben looking at possibly career-ending Tommy John surgery - the Steelers are now hitched with Mason Rudolph for the next two years.

Per ESPN:
The Steelers' 2020 pick has a 29% chance to be in the top 5 and a 62% chance to be in the top 10, according to ESPN's Football Power Index.

Per Barnwell, emphasis the last line:
This is incredibly risky from the Steelers, who FPI projects to finish with the eighth overall pick in the draft after losing Roethlisberger for the season. Might cost them a shot at drafting their quarterback of the future, even if Fitzpatrick plays well.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 am

Singletary, hill, and Thompson were all 2nd round rookie picks or below only 3 weeks ago. The only one I'd say has possibly moved up to a 1st is singletary, and it would be a low first.

Rudolph should be worth a 2020 1st, especially in SF, and likely more to someone with Big Ben on the roster.

Keep in mind the Steelers just shipped off their 1st round pick next year... doesn't have the look of a team that plans on tanking.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

Yep, that's what was hilarious about the whole thing. The guy's typing this long dissertation in GroupMe about how he's willing to give a 3rd and nothing more because the Steelers are going to draft their new franchise QB in the first round next year...while I'm watching the ESPN announcing crew analyzing the trade of Fitzpatrick for the Steelers 1st round pick.

Then he doubles down on the bull bleep by saying that Rudolph will suck because Conner is out long term...as I'm reading a tweet from Schefter that Conner's knee injury is not serious and he's not expected to miss any games.

The cognitive dissonance on some of these idiots is fascinating.
Last edited by Mephistopheles on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:22 am

Thanks guys, a 2020 1st was exactly what I was thinking was the right value.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:49 am

I personally wouldn't move him for what you offered. The fact that he came to you and then bashed Rudolph is pretty comical, not to mention the comment about drafting a QB next year with their 1st lol.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:31 am

What's his value in a deep, non-SF league?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:31 am What's his value in a deep, non-SF league?
Not much, but should absolutely be rostered for the potential upside.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Would you rather have him or Minshew?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 pm

No way in hell would I pay a 1st for him.
If I was desperate for a qb I would consider a 2nd but probably still not do it

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Mephistopheles wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am Yep, that's what was hilarious about the whole thing. The guy's typing this long dissertation in GroupMe about how he's willing to give a 3rd and nothing more because the Steelers are going to draft their new franchise QB in the first round next year...while I'm watching the ESPN announcing crew analyzing the trade of Fitzpatrick for the Steelers 1st round pick.

Then he doubles down on the bull bleep by saying that Rudolph will suck because Conner is out long term...as I'm reading a tweet from Schefter that Conner's knee injury is not serious and he's not expected to miss any games.

The cognitive dissonance on some of these idiots is fascinating.
That's absolutely hilarious. People who send offers and then try to devalue the players they are after have got to be some of the most simple minded melts in existence.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm

notweswelker wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm That's absolutely hilarious. People who send offers and then try to devalue the players they are after have got to be some of the most simple minded melts in existence.
Agree with this. :lol: If it was me, I'd simply respond with "buddy... I'm not even sure you why you want him if he's going to suck so bad!"

Mason's value is in big time flux right now. Hold until you know what you have, unless someone is willing to pay you a big boy price (hopefully a top 5 2020 1st)

sschmall
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby sschmall » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:06 pm

What would you bid FAAB wise for him in SF?

I'm contending this year with Baker/Stafford/Brissett/Foles. Because of this, I'm hesitant to drop 100% though long term he helps and I could even flip a QB for RB/WR help perhaps.

Should I go all in with 100%?

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:10 pm

sschmall wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:06 pm What would you bid FAAB wise for him in SF?

I'm contending this year with Baker/Stafford/Brissett/Foles. Because of this, I'm hesitant to drop 100% though long term he helps and I could even flip a QB for RB/WR help perhaps.

Should I go all in with 100%?
How deep are your rosters, how many teams in the league?
In 10 team or above SF I'm probably 100% FAAB right now. Big Ben may be done. Nothing is guaranteed, but you're paying for the realistic odds Mason Rudolph becomes a long term starter. I'd be doing 100% every time.