The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: New Gurley Usage

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Tough to say. It was his first game since the SB, and he was rested all off season. It's just speculation. We have no idea. Henderson isn't comfortable in their system yet, he's a rookie and isn't ready to be trusted, clearly. I'm assuming you mean is Malcolm Brown the one to own of the 2 between he and Henderson, because Gurley is clearly the guy to own over Brown.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 pm Tough to say. It was his first game since the SB, and he was rested all off season. It's just speculation. We have no idea. Henderson isn't comfortable in their system yet, he's a rookie and isn't ready to be trusted, clearly. I'm assuming you mean is Malcolm Brown the one to own of the 2 between he and Henderson, because Gurley is clearly the guy to own over Brown.
Yeah... no
Im asking could it be possible that Brown is the one to own over Gurley. If LA has a 2 position lead or more Im saying Gurley wont sniff the field. And why would he. He will be used when games are on the line and when plays need to be made. I expect LA to be up early and often so I expect Brown to play more than Gurley. An attempt to extend Gurley's career. It makes sense to me
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:03 am

Bubble wrap. He’s in bubble wrap. I think if they are winning his carries will be limited. When they play lower tier teams this might be what’s going to happen.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 am

don't make any conclusions after week 1.

the only conclusion you can make is that gurley looked pretty good running the ball. 7 yards a pop against a tough d should reassure many people. except those that drafted or traded for him and thought he was gonna touch the ball 25 times a game.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 am

Come on...Gurley is the RB to own in LA. He's not going to get the same amount of touches as he did in the past, but they are going to depend on him significantly still.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 am

Cherokee wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 pm Tough to say. It was his first game since the SB, and he was rested all off season. It's just speculation. We have no idea. Henderson isn't comfortable in their system yet, he's a rookie and isn't ready to be trusted, clearly. I'm assuming you mean is Malcolm Brown the one to own of the 2 between he and Henderson, because Gurley is clearly the guy to own over Brown.
Yeah... no
Im asking could it be possible that Brown is the one to own over Gurley. If LA has a 2 position lead or more Im saying Gurley wont sniff the field. And why would he. He will be used when games are on the line and when plays need to be made. I expect LA to be up early and often so I expect Brown to play more than Gurley. An attempt to extend Gurley's career. It makes sense to me
Then, it's Gurley. Easy answer.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:17 am

Cherokee wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am
Yeah... no
Why do you expect LA to be up 2+ scores early and often? This isn't the same offense from the first half of last year. Goff has thrown 8 TD passes in his last 9 games.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 am

My concern after yesterday's game was that they didn't use Gurley in the passing game (only 1 target). I think what made Gurley great the last two years was his ability to be very good on the ground but to also get 60 catches and 600 yards, along with 5 or so TDs. He's still easily the guy to own and I'm not going to jump to conclusions after one week, but it's obvious they're going to limit his touches, especially if the game isn't close.

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 am

I watched this game. The Rams came out and didn't hand the ball off for the entire first series. It was something like 10 pass attempts in a row.

Gurley looked slow and hesitant. He had a soft fumble where the ball was knocked free with what appeared to be only mild contact. He had another fumble on an outside pitch play although I think this one was on Goff. Through the end of the 3rd quarter MBrown had more touches and two TDs. Gurley's future outlook seemed bleak.

However, he came out running angry in the 4th. He looked fast, shifty and was finishing his runs with intensity. He looked night and day different than how he played the first 3 quarters. There were several runs in the 4th that MBrown would not have been able to make IMO. Gurley showed elite vision, burst and power. He basically put a sputtering Rams offense on his back in the 4th.

I'm not sure what changed in the 4th quarter but I'm hoping that the early hesitancy was just knocking rust off and the 4th quarter Gurley is who we will see moving forward. If that's the case, then the Rams won't be able to keep him off the field regardless of whatever they're saying about rest and timeshares.. he'll get his. But the 1-3rd quarter Gurley was concerning... it looked like post-season Gurley last year.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 am

I see Gurley as Kamara like- manage his touches when they don't need him, unleash him when they do. His efficiency can offset low volume says, like yesterday.

The wrinkle in this is Goff isn't Brees- he can create games where the coaching staff thought they could limit Gurley's touches but Goff performs poorly enough the Rams need to pull out the big guns. That could happen in crucial games or any road game.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 am

Let's not panic too much just because it wasn't a vintage Gurley performance we were all hoping for out of the gate. He did still have nearly 7 ypc and almost 100 yards on just 14 carries vs a very good defense. Plus remember the Rams came from the West Coast to play in a 1pm EST timeslot, which is historically a challenge and rarely results in peak performance for the West Coast team.

This game was almost the worst case scenario for the "Is Gurley done" debate that's been raging on this forum all offseason. There's nothing from this game that can be definitively used for either side of the debate. I'm still optimistic and comfortable as a Gurley owner though.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm worried.

His usage was a lot lower than most expected, especially after the coaching staff said he wouldn't be on any sort of a pitch count. He performed well, so why did he get so little work in a tough game?

Not good.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02 pm I'm worried.

His usage was a lot lower than most expected,
especially after the coaching staff said he wouldn't be on any sort of a pitch count. He performed well, so why did he get so little work in a tough game?

Not good.
I expected less week 1, actually. He hasn't played all off season. The fact he was out there in the 4th killing the clock with runs was encouraging to me. I thought he looked good once he knocked the rust off. 15 touches his first game back was more than I thought he'd get. If he gets 15ish every week, or a bit more, that's great. I'd like to see him get a few more passes thrown his way, he was open a bunch, but Goff was staring down covered receivers far too often.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 am My concern after yesterday's game was that they didn't use Gurley in the passing game (only 1 target). I think what made Gurley great the last two years was his ability to be very good on the ground but to also get 60 catches and 600 yards, along with 5 or so TDs. He's still easily the guy to own and I'm not going to jump to conclusions after one week, but it's obvious they're going to limit his touches, especially if the game isn't close.
Yup.

Getting ignored in the passing game really worried me
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

He used to be a bell cow with monster volume rushing and receiving and touchdowns.

Now he's just a talented player with average volume, minimal receiving, and who knows about goal line.