Golladay - is he a WR2 or WR3 or what? TRADE COMPETED - HOW'D I DO?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Golladay - is he a WR2 or WR3 or what? TRADE COMPETED - HOW'D I DO?

Postby Wizard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 am

Seemed like everyone was really high on Golladay at the end of last year and that a lot of dynasty players thought he was due to have a big breakout this season now that he was officially Detroit's top WR and could be a stud WR1 for years to come. But every "expert" article I read about him this year says he's going to high in drafts, he's only a WR3 with upside, he's on a bad offense, his coach emphasizes the run and doesn't want to throw it, Stafford is throwing the ball less and less each year, Golladay didn't step up when he was the only real WR Detroit had at the end of the season. Not that they are saying he is bad, but the all seem to feel he's over rated. I really haven't seen a positive article about him leading into this season.

So what's everyone's though on him now going into the season? Do you expect him to be a WR2, WR3, a breakout to a WR1? I'm trying to work out a trade for him but I'm getting cold feet. The owner wants T. Coleman, JJAW (who I'm really high on) and a high 2020 2nd round pick, that seems like to much to me if he's only going to be a WR3. What are you thoughts. Thanks
Last edited by Wizard on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Golladay - is he a WR2 or WR3 or what?

Postby sloth8u » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 am

If your asking if the concerns are legit??? Yes. Pretty sure its been spelled out in another thread here (maybe try a search). Either way, you've read about it elsewhere and they are very real. Targets play a huge part in fantasy and it would seem that kenny isnt likely to get the volume needed to put up wr1 numbers.

In the big picture its going to come down to consistency id imagine. 1 week with 20-25 pts then 3 weeks with 8-12 pts. Thats the type of guy you want for depth or flex on contending teams, not someone you want to be counting on.

I think most owners will be happy if the numbers dont drop from 70, 1000, 5....tough to imagine they get a whole lot better.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am

Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 am Golladay didn't step up when he was the only real WR Detroit had at the end of the season
The guy throwing him the ball was playing with a broken back at the time. Literally.

Detroit offense isn't necessarily bad. Russell Wilson had 4k passing yardage years with Bevell as OC, and Stafford has a live arm, a finally improving O-line (best O-line Stafford's had in the better part of a decade), and above-average weapons in Golladay, Jones, Hock, Amendola, KJ...

Anyway, I'm projecting Golladay for WR2 tier numbers.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

vflgladiators
Captain
Captain

Postby vflgladiators » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:52 am

Where do we value Golladay in 2019 rookie picks or 2020 picks. What would you need to receive to move Golladay.
Team 1
12 team. PPR. 6pts all TDs. Long TD bonus. 1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1DEF
QBs: Patrick Mahomes, Sam Howell, Kyle Trask
RBs: Rhamondre Stevenson, Keaontay Ingram, Kyren Williams, Isaiah Spiller
WR/TEs: Jahan Dotson, Kyle Pitts, Diontae Johnson, Elijah Moore, Rashod Bateman, John Metchie
K: Carlson, Boswell
DST: Patriots, Steelers
Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.8, 1.9, 1.11, 2.4, 3.1
2019 Champ

Team 2
12 Team Superflex. PPR. 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1SFlex, 1K, 1Def
QBs: Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Howell, Brissett, Darnold
RBs: Kamara, Mattison, L. Murray, Fournette
WRs: Chase, Diontae Johnson, Toney, Dortch
TEs: Kelce, Dulcich, Juwan Johnson, Ertz
Ks: Tucker
DST: Colts, Jaguars
Picks: 1.8, 3.9
2022 Champ

Flgatorguy87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Flgatorguy87 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:05 am

I agree. The end of last year he was a full tier above Godwin and Boyd and was untouchable as a future WR1. People were asking for 1.01+ for him and now that the offseason dust has settled people seem to realize he's a little older than they like on an offense they don't like. I think he's probably a fringe top 24 WR by the end of the year.
SF PPR 30 man roster 5 taxi 2 IR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 2TE, 2FLEX , Superflex

A. Rodgers, J. Goff, D. Lock, Ta. Hill

O. Beckham, Antonio Brown, M. Evans, A. Robinson, S. Diggs, C. Sutton, T. Boyd, Jakobi Meyers, S. Sims Jr., Darius Slayton

S. Barkley, Da. Cook, Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, R. Penny, Ronald Jones, W. Gallman, Duke Johnson, AJ Dillon, Darrynton Evans, DeeJay Dallas, L. Perine

G. Kittle, M. Andrews, H. Hurst

Taxi: R. Armstead, Joe Reed, L. Bowden Jr., I. Coulter, Scotty Miller

2021 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:41 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am
Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:07 am Golladay didn't step up when he was the only real WR Detroit had at the end of the season
The guy throwing him the ball was playing with a broken back at the time. Literally.

Detroit offense isn't necessarily bad. Russell Wilson had 4k passing yardage years with Bevell as OC, and Stafford has a live arm, a finally improving O-line (best O-line Stafford's had in the better part of a decade), and above-average weapons in Golladay, Jones, Hock, Amendola, KJ...

Anyway, I'm projecting Golladay for WR2 tier numbers.
The Stafford and Golladay hate train has gotten hilarious. Stafford has thrown >4,200 yards in 7 of the previous 8 seasons. The guy plays through a broken back and has an off year and people want to make that 1/8 the standard. Stafford will be a high end QB2/low end QB1 and I expect Golladay to be an above average or better WR2 as well. Golladay had a mini-breakout last year and even with a hobbled Stafford he cleared 1K yards in his second season in the league. The guy is 25 and people are talking like he's ancient. Davante Adams' first 1K yard season just came last year, when guess what? He was 25. Stafford is entering QB golden years in his early 30s. Anybody fading these two has the analytical IQ of a goldfish.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm

He had 1,063 yds and 5 TDs last year. That's getting an awful lotta hype for a team that added a red zone weapon and is going even more run-heavy.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm He had 1,063 yds and 5 TDs last year. That's getting an awful lotta hype for a team that added a red zone weapon and is going even more run-heavy.
It's an awful lotta hype to expect a good 2nd year WR to improve slightly in his 3rd year?

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 pm

I own him but don't have a strong take. I do find it funny when it comes to Kenny that lack of hype dropped his value. It should be as high as ever if it was previously correct. Or maybe the market has corrected. I don't have a clue really
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:48 pm

If you're drafting or trading for Golladay to be your WR1, then you may be disappointed. But, he's a good WR2 and an absolute luxury as a WR3/Flex. Just because the Lions are trying to emphasize the run more, doesn't mean they can't support a solid WR2. I expect Golladay to hit 1000 yards again and improve his TDs to 8-10.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 pm

I definitely think Golladay has WR2 potential. If you're more interested in production and not worried about age or value then Golladay will serve you for a few years - just like Tate & Jones did before him. If your focus is on ensuring value then likely Golladay is at his peak value due to his age & situation (ie the odds are slim due to various factors that he climbs much higher in adp).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Marvin Jones didn't die, people forget how good he was in 2017 before his injuries in 2018. I still like Golladay but I'd stop short of saying he is the Lions wr1 while Jones is still good.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 pm

AussieMate wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:10 pm Marvin Jones didn't die, people forget how good he was in 2017 before his injuries in 2018. I still like Golladay but I'd stop short of saying he is the Lions wr1 while Jones is still good.
Jones has the most unimpressive top 10 end of season statline in 2017... I don't understand how he did it... And I look at the two as 1a and 1b in the offense. We all know a healthy Stafford will put up ~4k yards even with a heavier focus on rushing and defense imo. Tonnes of opportunity with Stafford at QB for both to succeed
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm

I’m expecting ~75/1100/8 for the next couple years. So probably a mid WR2. After that, who knows as his contract will be up and his situation could drastically change. But his ability to outplay defenders in one on one balls could lead to ONE monster year at some point (think ARob), whenever that may be.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:52 pm

WR2, hoping for WR1 myself .. If things don't get kick started out the gate vs. ARI, I may rethink, but as of now, it's a full go.
@PlankMelody