RBBC in Kansas City

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Huh
Starter
Starter

Re: RBBC in Kansas City

Postby Huh » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:38 am

It puts a bit of a damper on my Damien truther status but he’s still the biggest and fastest back they have. Probably still the best receiver also. He good.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:51 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:30 am
sugbear65 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:22 am So with Williams getting pipped before the season even starts, does that kind of end the debate on wether he is a replaceable talent level JAG or not yet? (Spoiler: it does and he is)
On the McCoy side, this is the best possible situation for him. If he as anything at all left in the tank, he could end up being one of the best values of the year for his owners. If u bought for peanuts recently, fist pumps and high fives are definitely in order.
The spin on this the last couple of posts is funny. If anything, the upside of this move pushes Thompson down the depth chart. Williams still maintains a significant role in the offense.

Here's the reality though: McCoy isn't a workhorse anymore, nor is he a good RB. He just lost out to a 36-year-old Frank Gore and a rookie RB. You'll be hardpressed to find 30-year-old RBs who bounced back from the type of season he had to positive production. He knows the offense so that should help, but it's very fair to conclude at this point that McCoy is more name than production.

The Chiefs went into the offseason targeting some type of early-down type of back since Williams specialty isn't being a volume runner and a 3rd RB. Hence, the Hyde addition and taking Thompson late. That failed, so upgrading on Hyde makes sense. I don't see either idea as an indictment against what they think of Williams, as much as it is needing depth at the position.
I think if they thought highly of Williams as a 3 down back they wouldn’t be signing guys like Hyde or Shady, so I think it points to exactly what they think of Williams. In any case I’m interested in seeing how this all shakes out.

Badkins1121
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Badkins1121 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 am

knotts4372 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:26 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:21 pm
Phaded wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:15 pm Well - add him to the mix now.
:lol: Glad I cashed DW for top dollar.
mind saying what you got for him? im interested in what ppl considered "top dollar" for him
A month or two ago I traded Damien and Boyd for Kittle and Ingram. I’m happy with it

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:57 am

thebeast wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:51 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:30 am
sugbear65 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:22 am So with Williams getting pipped before the season even starts, does that kind of end the debate on wether he is a replaceable talent level JAG or not yet? (Spoiler: it does and he is)
On the McCoy side, this is the best possible situation for him. If he as anything at all left in the tank, he could end up being one of the best values of the year for his owners. If u bought for peanuts recently, fist pumps and high fives are definitely in order.
The spin on this the last couple of posts is funny. If anything, the upside of this move pushes Thompson down the depth chart. Williams still maintains a significant role in the offense.

Here's the reality though: McCoy isn't a workhorse anymore, nor is he a good RB. He just lost out to a 36-year-old Frank Gore and a rookie RB. You'll be hardpressed to find 30-year-old RBs who bounced back from the type of season he had to positive production. He knows the offense so that should help, but it's very fair to conclude at this point that McCoy is more name than production.

The Chiefs went into the offseason targeting some type of early-down type of back since Williams specialty isn't being a volume runner and a 3rd RB. Hence, the Hyde addition and taking Thompson late. That failed, so upgrading on Hyde makes sense. I don't see either idea as an indictment against what they think of Williams, as much as it is needing depth at the position.
I think if they thought highly of Williams as a 3 down back they wouldn’t be signing guys like Hyde or Shady, so I think it points to exactly what they think of Williams. In any case I’m interested in seeing how this all shakes out.
There's a clear difference in being a three down back and being a workhorse. He's not the latter; nobody they have is. So, you need depth to protect from injury.

Otherwise, if Williams gets injured you have Thompson and nothing else or Williams and nothing else.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:01 am

I’m not a big Williams guy, but I think the “I told ya so’s” due to the McCoy signing are a bit premature. Hyde was always a backup. They cut him and needed another veteran so they replaced him with Shady, another back who just got cut. Shady probably takes more work than Hyde would have, but he’s likely there to spell Williams and take over due to injury or lack luster performance. Like Bot wisely said, this is more of a hit to Thompson than Williams, at least for now
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:24 am

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:01 am I’m not a big Williams guy, but I think the “I told ya so’s” due to the McCoy signing are a bit premature. Hyde was always a backup. They cut him and needed another veteran so they replaced him with Shady, another back who just got cut. Shady probably takes more work than Hyde would have, but he’s likely there to spell Williams and take over due to injury or lack luster performance. Like Bot wisely said, this is more of a hit to Thompson than Williams, at least for now
Yeah, but it's not good. Shady is a great pass catcher, and fits the Chiefs a lot more than Hyde did. Some around here saying McCoy got beat out, but he was cut for financial reasons. His contract was a decent size, he was asked to take a pay cut, and didn't.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:30 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:24 am
jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:01 am I’m not a big Williams guy, but I think the “I told ya so’s” due to the McCoy signing are a bit premature. Hyde was always a backup. They cut him and needed another veteran so they replaced him with Shady, another back who just got cut. Shady probably takes more work than Hyde would have, but he’s likely there to spell Williams and take over due to injury or lack luster performance. Like Bot wisely said, this is more of a hit to Thompson than Williams, at least for now
Yeah, but it's not good. Shady is a great pass catcher, and fits the Chiefs a lot more than Hyde did. Some around here saying McCoy got beat out, but cut for financial reasons. His contract was a decent size, he was asked to take a pay cut, and didn't.
This. But in the end he did take a pay cut but now at least he's on a true contender team.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:24 am

Hyde was not cut - he was traded.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:29 am

TimeWillTell wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:30 am
Yeah, but it's not good. Shady is a great pass catcher, and fits the Chiefs a lot more than Hyde did. Some around here saying McCoy got beat out, but cut for financial reasons. His contract was a decent size, he was asked to take a pay cut, and didn't.
This. But in the end he did take a pay cut but now at least he's on a true contender team.
He's getting paid more than Damien.

Those Damien truthers (owners) trying to spin this as a positive development or simply shrugging it off are delusional...and, quite frankly, losing credibility.

Within the same day of McCoy's release, two contenders offered him significant guaranteed money. Pretty sure, had he signed with the Chargers, LAC would have let Gordon walk. So McCoy turned down starter carries to sign with the Chiefs. Going to guess Reid promised him some serious usage.
Last edited by Farley on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:31 am

If Williams is so talented that he is going to keep two other talented RBs on the bench, McCoy and Thompson, then why did it take Williams several years, two teams and two injuries for him to see significant time?
He is simply an average back in a great wide open offense. He will play for sure, but this will be a RBBC backfield all the way.
Williams owners need to be concerned that Thompson doesn't outplay him early in the season.

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:38 am

i still maintain y stance that damien williams will be passed up by darwin thompson this year and will be outright released sometime before the draft next year. he is not a good player and if thompson can show a continued development of his pass blocking skills, it makes williams expendable. why pay williams when thompson can do the same things for much cheaper. i truly think the damien williams truthers are absolutely delusional for whatever reason

in the end though it likely wont matter because next draft they will likely look for their next starting rb.
Last edited by knotts4372 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:39 am

Farley wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:29 am

Those Damien truthers (owners) trying to spin this as a positive development or simply shrugging it off are delusional...and, quite frankly, losing credibility.

Within the same day of McCoy's release, two contenders offered him significant guaranteed money. Pretty sure, had he signed with the Chargers, LAC would have let Gordon walk. So McCoy turned down starter carries to sign with the Chiefs. Going to guess Reid promised him some serious usage.
Totally agree. I've never been a Williams truther. I see this as very bad for DWill

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bsacks13 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:41 am

Farley wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:29 am

For those Damien truthers (owners) trying to spin this as a positive development or simply shrugging it off are delusional...and, quite frankly, losing credibility.

Where did you get that info that he was offered significant money from two contenders, because I don't see that anywhere. McCoy will have his moments when he plays because that offense is so wide open, and it will hurt Williams' value but lets not get too crazy. McCoy did get cut over Frank Gore.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:47 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:31 am If Williams is so talented that he is going to keep two other talented RBs on the bench, McCoy and Thompson, then why did it take Williams several years, two teams and two injuries for him to see significant time?
He is simply an average back in a great wide open offense. He will play for sure, but this will be a RBBC backfield all the way.
Williams owners need to be concerned that Thompson doesn't outplay him early in the season.
If Thompson is such a dangerous and talented threat, then why did he go 6th round in an awful RB class? Thompson is 5'8, sub 200, ran a 4.6, and doesn't have any great measurements or athletic traits that stand out. He's a prototypical COP RB. I think most of the hype on Thompson was because he was dirt cheap and people didn't want to pay for Williams.

We can play that game on multiple fronts. The Chiefs have three flawed RBs who are not going to be the long-term answers at that position.

Here are the facts:

- Williams was an UDFA. He didn't go undrafted because of a lack of talent or ability, but because of off-field concerns (dismissed from the program for violating team rules). He's largely been clean as a pro in this area.

- He was never prioritized by the Dolphins, as they brought in Lamar Miller, Jay Ajayi, Arian Foster, and Kenyan Drake during his time. This is logical, as you would never build with an UDFA in mind unless they absolutely crush it.

- Williams stayed on the roster because of special teams and his efficiency as a receiver on limited touches.

- Lightning in a bottle got him the opportunity he now has and he took full advantage of it. FWIW, this was written in his NFL scouting report: "Is best running outside in a spread offense that features wide running lanes and could bring the most value to a team as a pass catcher in a change-of-pace role." That sounds eerily like what happened in KC last year.

Is Williams going to keep McCoy and Thompson on the bench? No; that was never the plan. Is Williams going to have a significant role in this offense? Yes and they've never given an indication that he won't.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:50 am

knotts4372 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:38 am i still maintain y stance that damien williams will be passed up by darwin thompson this year and will be outright released sometime before the draft next year. he is not a good player and if thompson can show a continued development of his pass blocking skills, it makes williams expendable. why pay williams when thompson can do the same things for much cheaper. i truly think the damien williams truthers are absolutely delusional for whatever reason

in the end though it likely wont matter because next draft they will likely look for their next starting rb.
I still think it's odd that there's an idea that Thompson, who is essentially a smaller, lighter, and slower version of Williams, is more equipped to play RB in the NFL in the same role that Williams excelled at last season.

If you just want to say "he's cheaper in dynasty" then, I think that's more honest than spinning that Thompson is more talented and a better football player. Because, KC certainly hasn't given credence that this is the case.