How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

Postby ArrylT » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:40 am

Ironically enough it is not out of the realm of possibility that Bush could have had a Sproles like 2nd career if he had not had that freak injury (slipped on the concrete and tore ACL).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Re: How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 am

Since Reggie Bush is a little far back... how about Trent Richardson?

Surely there's more people in here that can recall what his value/hype was like when he came into the league in 2012. I didn't start dynasty until 2014 so can't share any stories unfortunately.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 am

Life of Pablo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 am Since Reggie Bush is a little far back... how about Trent Richardson?

Surely there's more people in here that can recall what his value/hype was like when he came into the league in 2012. I didn't start dynasty until 2014 so can't share any stories unfortunately.
Basically zeke level hype that only increased after year 1

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:05 am

Reggie Bush obviously went 1.01 in my league that year. I had the 1.02 and grabbed DeAngelo Williams. Each had a few great years, some mediocre years.

If it helps, for context, I recall I was offered the 1.01 if I was willing to pay the 1.02 and a piece like Lee Evans at the time. So...I don't think he was as hyped as a guy like Barkley for example.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:01 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 am
Vcize wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 am Reggie Bush came about a decade too early. The NFL hadn't figured out how to maximize guys like that yet.
This is just not true. The dude was drafted by Sean Payton for goodness sake. His replacement when he washed out there was Darren Sproles who was instantly amazing in the same role.

Bush's problem was that he couldn't shake even the tiniest of arm tackles in the NFL until he bulked up, at which point he lost all of his dynamic ability. Sproles was significantly more efficient than Bush in the same role.
You don't think Payton learned from that? They tried to make Reggie Bush a RB first who could then line up wide and catch passes. They mainly used Sproles as a change of pace guy where the bulk of his work came in the passing game and out in space.

Reggie Bush was Payton's first experiment with that type of back. Sproles was the 2nd (and more efficient) try at it. Kamara is benefiting from the trial and error of those two before him.
C'mon. In 2010 Bush as a receiver averaged a woeful 4.9 YPT and 6.1 YPR. The very next year when Sproles replaced him he averaged 6.5 YPT and 8.3 YPR. You're telling me you think Payton magically learned how to use a receiving back between 2010 and 2011, coincidentally at the same time Sproles came in?

I owned Bush everywhere. I watched those games religiously. To imply that they didn't get the ball to Bush out in space is crazy. He was barely even getting carries anymore his last two years in New Orleans (an averaged of about 75 carries per 16 games from 2009-2010).

His problem wasn't that he didn't get the ball in space. It's that he sucked with the ball, even in space. I watched all those games. He'd get the ball in space and the first guy that got near him would either take him down with an arm tackle or slow him down so much that the rest of the team could swarm him. He was indecisive and weak.
Last edited by Vcize on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 am
Life of Pablo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 am Since Reggie Bush is a little far back... how about Trent Richardson?

Basically zeke level hype that only increased after year 1
Which was ridiculous because he was just a volume based plodder. Pretty much the Leonard Fournette of a few years ago. I'll never understand the Fournette hype, even now the owners who think he's going to be an elite NFL rb just baffle me.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:10 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 am I remember it being a huge deal that the Texans passed on him for Mario Williams.
I remember that decision being lauded by many pundits.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:01 pm
C'mon. In 2010 Bush as a receiver averaged a woeful 4.9 YPT and 6.1 YPR. The very next year when Sproles replaced him he averaged 6.5 YPT and 8.3 YPR. You're telling me you think Payton magically learned how to use a receiving back between 2010 and 2011, coincidentally at the same time Sproles came in?

I owned Bush everywhere. I watched those games religiously. To imply that they didn't get the ball to Bush out in space is crazy. He was barely even getting carries anymore his last two years in New Orleans (an averaged of about 75 carries per 16 games from 2009-2010).

His problem wasn't that he didn't get the ball in space. It's that he sucked with the ball, even in space. I watched all those games. He'd get the ball in space and the first guy that got near him would either take him down with an arm tackle or slow him down so much that the rest of the team could swarm him. He was indecisive and weak.
No that isn't what I'm saying at all. I said he learned from Reggie Bush and quit trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by giving that type of RB a bunch of carries. I didn't say he figured that out in one offseason. I guess you're trying to say they learned absolutely nothing from the Reggie Bush experience then? I find that pretty hard to believe.

Reggie Bush got 9.6 carries/gm his rookie season, then 13, 10.6, 5, and 4.5. Not coincidentally, Bush's best season in NOLA was his rookie year when he was targeted 121 times.

You know the highest average carries/gm Sproles had in NOLA? 5.5. Yet he averaged 6.9 targets in the passing game during that same stretch.

To me it is pretty clear Sean Payton and company learned how to better utilize a pass catcher out of the backfield and quit giving those guys carries they couldn't handle. RB's weren't getting targeted like that before Bush (or at least that wasn't happening at the level it is now) and I honestly don't think Payton had figured it all out yet. Whether Bush would have put it together, stayed healthy, etc are all up for debate. But that is a debate I don't care about having.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:54 pm

notweswelker wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:21 pm
Phaded wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:39 pm Reggie Bush had the hype slightly akin to what Barkley had coming out.

However as mentioned above, the dynasty landscape has changed a ton.
Yes. Bush was seen as a true once in a decade running back. I can't remember anyone who didn't believe the hype, myself included.
Looking back the two biggest warning signs were his team, and his size. Pete Carrol's USC team was stupidly dominant, and if you look back at his highlights, the dude is running through GAPING holes a lot of the time. Obviously things look clearer in hindsight, and he was undoubtedly talented, but watching the tape should have given people more pause than it did, we all bought the hype and the NFL did too.
I'd say more so than Barkley and Peterson. He was the next Barry Sanders. He was playing on national TV every night winning national championships. It was a sure a thing as I can remember. Maybe except trent Richardson he was considered a no doubt sure thing too.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 pm

I forgot about trent richardson.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 pm

ghetto pimp wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 pm I forgot about trent richardson.
Lucky..
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 pm

I wasn’t a fan of bush coming out I was more of a Laurence Maroney fan but maroney had a few good years while bush had the longer career so I guess it was sort of a wash
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Finfansteve wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 pm I wasn’t a fan of bush coming out I was more of a Laurence Maroney fan but maroney had a few good years while bush had the longer career so I guess it was sort of a wash
I remember Maroney for sure. Unfortunately thanks to his receiving prowess, Bush beat out Maroney on most years, even before he had 2 (almost 3) 1k rushing seasons (a feat Maroney never reached).

For example in his rookie year Bush was RB 9 vs. Maroney RB27 in ppr & 17 vs 29 in std.

Maroney did beat Bush in one year - 2009 - in std (but not ppr) but every other year Bush outdid Maroney, and then some (ie Maroney was done after 2009).

----

For those curious here were Bushs career results in typical ppr

2006 - RB 9
2007 - RB 13
2008 - RB 27
2009 - RB 29
2010 - RB 58
2011 - RB 13
2012 - RB 14
2013 - RB 7
2014 - RB 42
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm

RB 7 in 2013?? I have no memory of that
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm RB 7 in 2013?? I have no memory of that
He bulked up and became a reasonably effective between the tackles, traditional RB late in his career.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert