How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

Postby chubnubbin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:42 pm

A little bit of an unusual post for this forum. I am new to dynasty football leagues and today I was watching some old college highlights of guys like Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush and Andrew Luck. I remember the hype surrounding Bush, AP, and Luck especially. It had me wondering how sought after were guys like that in dynasty leagues as they entered the NFL draft? How does it compare to recent rookies and/or 2020 top picks?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

Postby ArrylT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 pm

My recommendation would be to do a search

for example a search for Reggie Bush as a title in this forum pulls up the following:

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... mit=Search
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: How sought after was Reggie Bush (and others) in dynasty leagues as a rookie?

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:58 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 pm My recommendation would be to do a search

for example a search for Reggie Bush as a title in this forum pulls up the following:

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... mit=Search
None of which discuss his value in the community as a draft prospect coming into the league.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:07 pm

True but if I am correct DLF was just in its infancy when Reggie Bush was a rookie. I am only in 3-4 leagues that go back as far back as 2006 and I honestly cannot recall what value he may have held 12-14 years ago - back then much more attention was given to redraft fantasy football than dynasty. Hence my only advice was to do a search and see what can be found.

Also the dynasty landscape has changed greatly since then - the 2014 class of course - and the rise of different strategys - such as Zero RB / Zero QB which have made dynasty a lot different than the days where RBs alone where king except for a few WR.

A search for say Andrew Luck will probably have better results. I know that he was still going early in 2015 startups, whereas a 1 QB startup I did early this off-season he went in the 7th, while mocks seem to have him in the 55-60 pick range.

mizelle only has data going back 6 years - its going to be tough to accurately recall / predict player values as rookies going back 8-10-12 years.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Reggie Bush had the hype slightly akin to what Barkley had coming out.

However as mentioned above, the dynasty landscape has changed a ton.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Phaded wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:39 pm Reggie Bush had the hype slightly akin to what Barkley had coming out.

However as mentioned above, the dynasty landscape has changed a ton.
Yes. Bush was seen as a true once in a decade running back. I can't remember anyone who didn't believe the hype, myself included.
Looking back the two biggest warning signs were his team, and his size. Pete Carrol's USC team was stupidly dominant, and if you look back at his highlights, the dude is running through GAPING holes a lot of the time. Obviously things look clearer in hindsight, and he was undoubtedly talented, but watching the tape should have given people more pause than it did, we all bought the hype and the NFL did too.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 pm

I’d rather hold off a bit and get Lendale White at his price.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:50 pm

Percy Harvin
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Bush hype was mega ultra high.

This forum was just getting started up but I remember on FBGs someone posting a thread about taking him first overall in a startup over LT2. While most thought that was taking things too far, it was in the ballpark of his hype.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Vcize wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:53 pm Bush hype was mega ultra high.

This forum was just getting started up but I remember on FBGs someone posting a thread about taking him first overall in a startup over LT2. While most thought that was taking things too far, it was in the ballpark of his hype.
Haha that's the type of stuff I was looking for. He was so exciting to watch at USC.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 am

Reggie Bush was too long ago. I doubt most of us active right now were even playing dynasty format then.

I suspect Bush would've been a polarizing prospect for us. Great 40 time, ballyhooed college career, but he was 5'11" 201lbs coming out, and in the mid-aughts fantasy football was more skeptical of lightweight running-backs than it is now. I think many of us would've argued to fade Bush and target Joseph Addai with a later rookie-draft pick, especially after Manning's Colts picked him up.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 am

Reggie Bush came about a decade too early. The NFL hadn't figured out how to maximize guys like that yet.

His hype though, like others have mentioned was Saquon like as a RB prospect. I remember it being a huge deal that the Texans passed on him for Mario Williams. He was seen as an instant game changer.

oban14
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby oban14 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 am

I personally gave up a ton of picks for 1.1 to get him, non-ppr. Every time I have traded up to 1.1 in our rookie draft it hasn't worked out. Ingram was probably the best I got. I tried when Calvin Johnson and ADP came in, tried with Barkley, tried with Zeke, owners of the picks wouldn't budge. Thought Bush would be a second Gayle Sayers.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 am Reggie Bush came about a decade too early. The NFL hadn't figured out how to maximize guys like that yet.
This is just not true. The dude was drafted by Sean Payton for goodness sake. His replacement when he washed out there was Darren Sproles who was instantly amazing in the same role.

Bush's problem was that he couldn't shake even the tiniest of arm tackles in the NFL until he bulked up, at which point he lost all of his dynamic ability. Sproles was significantly more efficient than Bush in the same role.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 am

Vcize wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 am Reggie Bush came about a decade too early. The NFL hadn't figured out how to maximize guys like that yet.
This is just not true. The dude was drafted by Sean Payton for goodness sake. His replacement when he washed out there was Darren Sproles who was instantly amazing in the same role.

Bush's problem was that he couldn't shake even the tiniest of arm tackles in the NFL until he bulked up, at which point he lost all of his dynamic ability. Sproles was significantly more efficient than Bush in the same role.
You don't think Payton learned from that? They tried to make Reggie Bush a RB first who could then line up wide and catch passes. They mainly used Sproles as a change of pace guy where the bulk of his work came in the passing game and out in space.

Reggie Bush was Payton's first experiment with that type of back. Sproles was the 2nd (and more efficient) try at it. Kamara is benefiting from the trial and error of those two before him.