The Curious Case of Adam Shaheen: Prognosis?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Re: The Curious Case of Adam Shaheen: Prognosis?

Postby jman3134 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:01 pm

^ Well that enhances the case though. It is all about value over replacement player. If most of the tight ends are middling around besides Kittle/Kelce/Ertz, and Burton struggles with injuries for most of the year (and they pick up another tight end for blocking schemes), I would say he has decent upside. Opportunity might finally be there and I have 0 idea what he can do after his injury last year really dampened his production. If 500 yards of offense is all it takes to be a top 17 TE (obviously not factoring in TDs etc), then he realistically might have a shot at some relative positional value.

I haven't watched enough tape on him to be fair. From what you all seem to be saying, the upside case isn't really there. So I think I am going to pass.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:24 pm

jman3134 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:01 pm ^ Well that enhances the case though. It is all about value over replacement player. If most of the tight ends are middling around besides Kittle/Kelce/Ertz, and Burton struggles with injuries for most of the year (and they pick up another tight end for blocking schemes), I would say he has decent upside. Opportunity might finally be there and I have 0 idea what he can do after his injury last year really dampened his production. If 500 yards of offense is all it takes to be a top 17 TE (obviously not factoring in TDs etc), then he realistically might have a shot at some relative positional value.

I haven't watched enough tape on him to be fair. From what you all seem to be saying, the upside case isn't really there. So I think I am going to pass.
not when theres no difference from te 6 to te 16. it just makes him another option of many similar options and gives you no positional edge.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 pm

The fact that if he eclipses the 500 yard mark, he is borderline startable means that he could be worth a roster spot. It also says that the tight end position is not worth the investment, unless you really believe in holding for a high upside case.

It tells us what we already know: that the tight end position is far less important for winning our leagues than WR/RB/QB (absent TE premium leagues).
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
K:

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 pm

jman3134 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 pm The fact that if he eclipses the 500 yard mark, he is borderline startable means that he could be worth a roster spot. It also says that the tight end position is not worth the investment, unless you really believe in holding for a high upside case.

It tells us what we already know: that the tight end position is far less important for winning our leagues than WR/RB/QB (absent TE premium leagues).
Yes, aside from the guys who are the true positional difference makers or hove that’s potential.
So kelce, ertz, Kittle, Howard, engram and maybe Ebron or njoku or Henry depending on who you talk to. After that in non TE premium it’s an utter crap shoot

rschroeder1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rschroeder1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:49 am

From a Bears fan perspective here: the biggest problem with Shaheen is that if you like the situation, he's entering free agency after the 2020 season. The Bears' impending cap crunch might actually work in his favor from a dynasty perspective in that he might be a cheap option for the Bears to resign if he hasn't produced all that much.

My interest in him primarily comes from GM Ryan Pace's ability to find small-school guys in the draft.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 pm

jman3134 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:01 pm ^ Well that enhances the case though. It is all about value over replacement player. If most of the tight ends are middling around besides Kittle/Kelce/Ertz, and Burton struggles with injuries for most of the year (and they pick up another tight end for blocking schemes), I would say he has decent upside. Opportunity might finally be there and I have 0 idea what he can do after his injury last year really dampened his production. If 500 yards of offense is all it takes to be a top 17 TE (obviously not factoring in TDs etc), then he realistically might have a shot at some relative positional value.

It really depends on who you’d be dropping for him. If it’s for the team in your sig, there are at least a half-dozen guys with way less upside than Shaheen.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 am

https://beargoggleson.com/2019/09/01/ch ... on-week-1/
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ce-sunday/

Solid chance (50/50) Burton is not good to go for Week I - so as good a time as any to see how much usage Shaheen can earn.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:16 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 am https://beargoggleson.com/2019/09/01/ch ... on-week-1/
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... ce-sunday/

Solid chance (50/50) Burton is not good to go for Week I - so as good a time as any to see how much usage Shaheen can earn.
Thanks for alerting me. I just picked him up. Let's see how he does tonight.
K:

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 pm

I was surprised when someone waived him in my 16 TE premium a few weeks back. Turns out I might be immediate return, should be interesting. I loved him coming out.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 pm I was surprised when someone waived him in my 16 TE premium a few weeks back. Turns out I might be immediate return, should be interesting. I loved him coming out.
Let’s hope! I have him in a TE Super Premium and turned down a 2nd for him at the start of last year.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:19 am

Well, that was disappointing. Anyone have any more nuanced thoughts?
K:

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:22 am

It was bad football all around. Not sure there is anything to be taken from it in regards to Shaheen.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:27 am

Yeah, if it had been Burton rather than Shaheen getting 2 targets, likely as not the assumption would be (imo) that the playcalling & game script were to blame. 31 of the targets went to ARob and the RBs.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:52 am

He needs more than opportunity at this point. He needs skill and talent.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:52 am He needs more than opportunity at this point. He needs skill and talent.
:clap: :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick