Coleman was named the "clear favorite" to begin the season with the most backfield touches

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Coleman was named the "clear favorite" to begin the season with the most backfield touches

Postby thebeast » Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 am

azthecrow wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 am All it takes is opportunity and Coleman has the talent to capitalize if the others dont get going right away.
Except he never has despite having opportunity after opportunity.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Re: Coleman was named the "clear favorite" to begin the season with the most backfield touches

Postby djeternal2 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:52 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 am 150/750/5 with some catches thrown in. I'll pass.

Who was the last FA RB to make a big time impact? Michael Turner? Surely I'm forgetting a few.....
Depends on your idea of big time. If you define that as at a minimum RB2 #s: 2018 - AP & Lamar Miller; 2017 - Gore, Lynch, Miller, L Murray; 2016 - D Murray, Blount, Miller, Gore. That's just the last 3 years. And yes guys like Miller have been with their team for a few years but they joined said team as a FA signing.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue May 28, 2019 11:03 am

Ice wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:30 am
GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:12 am

Seems to me he had a pretty good opportunity to get it going last season and fell kinda flat.
Agree. He showed us what he was last year.
Atlanta had a mid 20's O line in run blocking last year. SF has a much better line. Coleman should be much better this year. Not saying he will win the job but his situation is better.

The Falcon's drafted 2 O lineman in the first round for a reason this past draft.
Fair enough. He's got a better O-Line now but he only carried the ball 167 times to Smith's 90 in 2018 and lost per game touches over the stretch. I don't think Atlanta saw him as a workload back and I just don't see that changing in SF. He may lead that backfield in touches this season, and do a bit more with them vs last year in Atlanta, but I am frankly uninspired to wade through the week to week speculation as to who is the back to plug in any given week. Just my opinion.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue May 28, 2019 11:21 am

djeternal2 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:52 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 am 150/750/5 with some catches thrown in. I'll pass.

Who was the last FA RB to make a big time impact? Michael Turner? Surely I'm forgetting a few.....
Depends on your idea of big time. If you define that as at a minimum RB2 #s: 2018 - AP & Lamar Miller; 2017 - Gore, Lynch, Miller, L Murray; 2016 - D Murray, Blount, Miller, Gore. That's just the last 3 years. And yes guys like Miller have been with their team for a few years but they joined said team as a FA signing.
I'd define big time as high end RB2 production or better. 1,100+ rushing yards. Thanks for the list. I suppose Miller counts but I've never been a big fan.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:21 am
djeternal2 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:52 am

I'd define big time as high end RB2 production or better. 1,100+ rushing yards. Thanks for the list. I suppose Miller counts but I've never been a big fan.
Maybe your criteria needs to be re-worked? Total yards rather than just rushing yards? Last year CMC would have missed out (by 2 yards) and he is definitely not an RB2.

# of backs in 2018 with 1100 yards: 5
2017 - 7
2016 - 8
2015 - 3
2014 - 10 (if you count Miller at 1099)
2013 - 10
2012 - 11

Had to go back to 2010 to get 13+ RBs (aka at least 1 RB2) with 1100 rushing yards.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 pm

Happily surprised to see most of us are on the same page here. I read that headline and thought this would be a Coleman love fest. Phaded nailed it though, nothing to see here yet. Probably going to take at least a few preseason games, if not into the regular season, before we get any real feel for how touches will be distributed. OTAs in May when 3 of your top 4 RBs aren’t practicing is not the time.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 am

Now that McKinnon has had a setback, it will get interesting. The more I look into it, the more I feel Breida is the best back, however his health is the main concern. Coleman botched his chance at being a lead back in a better offense last year, and actually lost goal line carries to Ito friggin Smith. I find it tough to get excited about Tevin. I think Breida may become the 1A as long as he is healthy. BTW, he is currently at the top of their depth chart, whatever that stands for.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:12 am

I find it hard to put too much stock into an article where the author seems to think that a 68% catch rate for a RB is a good thing.

That is Jordan Howard's career catch rate.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

tc has been polarizing over the last year. he was a buy last year at this time because of the opportunity that he currently has.....yet no one wants to touch him for his "current" price.

those preaching his past experience's clearly don't or didn't see the potential with the departure from atlanta. at the end of the day, he's been a 200 touch guy....what happens if he starts getting 15 touches a game??? that is what those buying will preach.

as to the coach speak...coleman is likely to get the 1st crack imo. its no secret that this could be a rb1 role with the staff in place...that said, owners either held or bought last offseason for a decent price...no reason to think that they would discount him now.

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:39 pm

As soon as Coleman signed with SF--I knew he was the back to own in SF. Breida is just a JAG. McKinnon may spend his entire SF career on IR and even if he doesn't he is not the back that Coleman is. In a a NO RB drafting strategy getting Coleman late is going to pay dividends. Don't sleep on Coleman--and don't put him under Breida and McKinnon--

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Stevens61310 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:39 pm As soon as Coleman signed with SF--I knew he was the back to own in SF. Breida is just a JAG. McKinnon may spend his entire SF career on IR and even if he doesn't he is not the back that Coleman is. In a a NO RB drafting strategy getting Coleman late is going to pay dividends. Don't sleep on Coleman--and don't put him under Breida and McKinnon--
Coleman sucked last year in a better offence when he was gifted the lead role, and lost goal line touches to Ito Smith. I find it hard to get excited about him. would argue Coleman is JAG as well. Breida had more yards rushing last year than Coleman has ever had in 1 season. I'm not overly excited about any 1 back in this backfield, TBH.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:52 am

Im by no means telling anyone to go buy coleman, but again....another mention of a "lead role". I dont have the numbers in front of me, but he received 15 carries only a few times (maybe 2 or 3 times). Mostly received only a few targets in the passing game each week.

When i think of "lead role", i envision someone regularly getting close to 20 opportunities a game. That was not there last year.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:44 am

Breida is just a JAG. Woo boy.
He is more talented than Coleman and graded out as the best receiving back in the year by PFF. He was also more efficient last year than Coleman has ever been.

Breida's only obstacle is health.

That said, I expect a full blown committee.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:15 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:45 am
azthecrow wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 am All it takes is opportunity and Coleman has the talent to capitalize if the others dont get going right away.
Except he never has despite having opportunity after opportunity.
Agreed, Coleman is JAG, not sure why he is perceived differently
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Kyle Shanahan is kind of known for pounding the table for his RBs publicly. From the stories about him standing on the table and demanding Joe Williams to him telling us all offseason how excited he was to feed Jerrick McKinnon the rock.

So the most telling thing for me with Coleman is how collectively "meh" he seems to be about him. Shanahan hasn't said anything about Coleman being the lead back or anything like that. His only real quote on the matter was something to the effect of (paraphrasing) Coleman ended up being so cheap that they felt like they may as well take a shot, and that it wouldn't effect McKinnon's role (this was pre McKinnon knee set-back of course).

Coleman has really lucked out with McKinnon not getting healthy. I think Breida is a much better player than Coleman though of course his health concerns are well documented. I could see Coleman having some nice value/production but it seems almost entirely predicated on the guys around him missing time.
Last edited by Vcize on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert