The Todd Gurley Thread - Currently FA

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Re: The Fall of Gurley

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 am

Todd Gurley got a cat, even more of a buy low window? People hate cats and if he is wearing a knee brace it may be a scratch pad. Cat pee is also smelly and he may get sick from the cat litter. Awful for his value. SELL NOW!!!!

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 am Todd Gurley got a cat, even more of a buy low window? People hate cats and if he is wearing a knee brace it may be a scratch pad. Cat pee is also smelly and he may get sick from the cat litter. Awful for his value. SELL NOW!!!!
Anybody that gets a cat is nuts. They live for twenty years and the whole time they are waiting for you to die so they can eat you. They are the patient scavengers.

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 am

Well now I'm upset because I want my players to get wined and dined prior to the start of the season. Why are you depriving this man of his pineapple juice!
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am

I think it will be interesting to see which segment of the dynasty community is going to be right about Todd Gurley, and whether they got to that decision using good or bad processes. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be right in the end about Gurley, but got their decision by using the wrong process (or by being a follower), and will then use this to correlate to other players which will then hurt them as dynasty owners.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am I think it will be interesting to see which segment of the dynasty community is going to be right about Todd Gurley, and whether they got to that decision using good or bad processes. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be right in the end about Gurley, but got their decision by using the wrong process (or by being a follower), and will then use this to correlate to other players which will then hurt them as dynasty owners.
With most players in dynasty we are all right and wrong about players many different times during their careers.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am I think it will be interesting to see which segment of the dynasty community is going to be right about Todd Gurley, and whether they got to that decision using good or bad processes. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be right in the end about Gurley, but got their decision by using the wrong process (or by being a follower), and will then use this to correlate to other players which will then hurt them as dynasty owners.
You're probably right. No one really has a crystal ball on this so it's often gut instinct and whatever data we scrape together. In terms of being right the decisions I see are:

1. He's great, everything was over dramatized
2. He's not transcendent but still good, the built in buffer of a 10-30% reduced workload was accurate and with proper management he still has a long career
3. He's good but wears down midseason and it's becoming likely Gurley has a much shorter career than anyone hopes for

then the inverse of all of this basically - the wheels come off way quicker, he is a shell of his former self, etc.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 am

I'm curious to hear your process and your decision. And anyone elses that cares tonchime in. Keep the focus on what your individual personal process has been.

Mine was that fear clouds judgement. It's very hard to make a rational decision because the emotion is so powerful it clouds the process.

I decided to buy the dip using a market illustration. Everyone fears recession when the market dips. And yes, sometimes it happens, but fear drives the stock market as often as logic.

My process was to try and buy the fear, and yes, I have the strong feelings of doom that are associated with Gurley. But I am trying to buy the value or dip.

I will sell though if the market heats back up on him.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Almost none of the Rams starters will be making the flight to Hawaii, I guess the whole team is hurt.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/273 ... ame-hawaii

"Defensive tackle Aaron Donald and cornerback Marcus Peters are the only starters who are expected to make the trip, though they will not play in the game on Saturday at Aloha Stadium." -quote from above article.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 am Todd Gurley is so messed up, he can't even fly on an airplane!

https://twitter.com/TurfShowTimes/statu ... 6912390144

But yeah, he's still gonna get almost all his touches. Just a one or two less per week, cuz that's ALL that he needs to stay healthy.

:doh:
i guess there must be something wrong with all the rams starters since they're not going to hawaii either.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Gurley will be good on a per touch basis, but will get far less usage than owners want. Come real playoff time, he will be unleashed. 8-15 touches per game in the regular season and possibly less. Any more than that is just not necessary for them to win regular season games. Basically, expect the inverse of what happened last year.

I’ve got him pegged for 160-180 regular season touches so that they can give him 100+ more in the playoffs.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:39 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Gurley will be good on a per touch basis, but will get far less usage than owners want. Come real playoff time, he will be unleashed. 8-15 touches per game in the regular season and possibly less. Any more than that is just not necessary for them to win regular season games. Basically, expect the inverse of what happened last year.

I’ve got him pegged for 160-180 regular season touches so that they can give him 100+ more in the playoffs.

That's too low IMO. I'd say hell get that many carries.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:37 pm

AZK wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am
With most players in dynasty we are all right and wrong about players many different times during their careers.
Absolutely. I am definitely not saying we won't be. And sometimes it is better (for our fantasy teams) to be lucky/right for the wrong reasons than right for the right reasons.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 am
I'm curious to hear your process and your decision. And anyone elses that cares tonchime in. Keep the focus on what your individual personal process has been.

Mine was that fear clouds judgement. It's very hard to make a rational decision because the emotion is so powerful it clouds the process.

I decided to buy the dip using a market illustration. Everyone fears recession when the market dips. And yes, sometimes it happens, but fear drives the stock market as often as logic.

My process was to try and buy the fear, and yes, I have the strong feelings of doom that are associated with Gurley. But I am trying to buy the value or dip.

I will sell though if the market heats back up on him.
Actually I am referring more to the process of deductive & inductive reasoning.

Example of proper deductive reasoning:

All men are mortal. (First premise)
Socrates is a man. (Second premise)
Therefore, Socrates is mortal. (Conclusion)

Example of improper deductive reasoning:

Everyone who eats carrots is a quarterback.
John eats carrots.
Therefore, John is a quarterback.

Example of strong inductive reasoning:

All biological life forms that we know of depend on liquid water to exist.
Therefore, if we discover a new biological life form it will probably depend on liquid water to exist.

Example of weak inductive reasoning:

All of the swans we have seen are white.
Therefore, we know that all swans are white.

---

Gurley did not play much/well in the Super Bowl
The Rams drafted Darrell Henderson
Therefore Gurley will bust & Henderson will breakout.

That is weak inductive reasoning

Basically the premises of an inductive logical argument should indicate some degree of likelyhood (aka inductive probability) for the conclusion but do not guarantee it; that is, they suggest an outcome but do not guarantee it.

I am just saying that a lot of people may end up taking the results of this season as proof that they were right to predict X because Y happened, when Y, Z A & B had little to do with X result. They then take this and use it to predict other outcomes that simply do not happen & cost them plenty. We see this all the time with examples like Davante Adams, Tyler Boyd, Deandre Hopkins (remember the dip in value after his 2016 season) and so forth.

That is what I am referring to. Just that many people may have already determined an outcome for Gurley, and if that outcome plays out as expected ...

Regardless I think what you're doing makes sense. And many times you have to take risks to reap rewards. The fact that you're willing to take that risk, despite the concern it may backfire, is actually a good thing, and it sounds as though you're being logical about it. :thumbup:

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Example of improper deductive reasoning:

Everyone who eats carrots is a quarterback.
John eats carrots.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but that seems like perfectly sound deductive reasoning to me.

If it was something like this, then I could see the problem:

All quarterbacks eat carrots.
John eats carrots.

But as it’s written above, it would be entirely rational to assume John is a quarterback.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm in an episode of Black Mirror and all you guys are rabbits aren't you