Yahoo Keeper league, keep only 2 out of 3

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Yahoo Keeper league, keep only 2 out of 3

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

Has anyone ever been in this position? I had an awful draft last year. Lost Gronk to retirement.

We can choose 3 keepers, and they always slot in as our top 3 picks. I only want to keep 2 though: DJ and Mike Evans. Would rather pick from FA pool in round 3. Next best players are Allen Robinson and then Guice (or Tevin Coleman).

I'd rather have a 3rd round pick than those guys. Does anyone know what happens if I only keep 2 of 3? Do I get my 3rd round pick or does Yahoo automatically select another keeper? Commish says that he doesn't know...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Re: Yahoo Keeper league, keep only 2 out of 3

Postby waynesworld1234 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am

I haven't experienced this directly before. But, if I had to guess keeping two would not entitle you to a supplemental draft prior to the real draft unless it's specifically configured that way in your league settings (or, your commissioner conducts a manual draft and adds the player to your roster). Too much customization with restricting rookies, order, etc. with a supplemental draft.

All that to say, if you pick two then you probably forfeit a free player. You could think about trading a late draft pick for someone on another team who they will be dropping anyway.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 pm

waynesworld1234 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am I haven't experienced this directly before. But, if I had to guess keeping two would not entitle you to a supplemental draft prior to the real draft unless it's specifically configured that way in your league settings (or, your commissioner conducts a manual draft and adds the player to your roster). Too much customization with restricting rookies, order, etc. with a supplemental draft.

All that to say, if you pick two then you probably forfeit a free player. You could think about trading a late draft pick for someone on another team who they will be dropping anyway.
Interesting. The way Yahoo does keepers, at least in this league, is that they have always been our 1st 3 picks. Draft essentially starts in round 4. The person picking 10th actually picks 1st since it's a snake...

That's why I thought that if I didn't pick a 3rd keeper I might just be able to choose the player I want in the 3rd round.

Thanks for the feedback!
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Postby waynesworld1234 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 pm Interesting. The way Yahoo does keepers, at least in this league, is that they have always been our 1st 3 picks. Draft essentially starts in round 4. The person picking 10th actually picks 1st since it's a snake...

That's why I thought that if I didn't pick a 3rd keeper I might just be able to choose the player I want in the 3rd round.

Thanks for the feedback!
It could be. I've never used Yahoo. It may mark your pick as 'pass' or something like that in the system too. I get what you're trying to do, but I wouldn't bet on it letting you. Can you set up a mock league and use some dummy data to see what happens with default settings?

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:40 pm

waynesworld1234 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm
jetsfan5757 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 pm Interesting. The way Yahoo does keepers, at least in this league, is that they have always been our 1st 3 picks. Draft essentially starts in round 4. The person picking 10th actually picks 1st since it's a snake...

Thanks for the feedback!
It could be. I've never used Yahoo. It may mark your pick as 'pass' or something like that in the system too. I get what you're trying to do, but I wouldn't bet on it letting you. Can you set up a mock league and use some dummy data to see what happens with default settings?
Good idea. I'll try that...