Preseason - Week 1

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Preseason - Week 1

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:40 am

Darrell Henderson, 6 carries, 13 yards.

I had to see the reply because I missed his carries last night. I reviewed DH inside and out, and concluded that he isn't an "up the middle" kind of back. All of his successful carries were sweeps or tosses to the outside, or dump-offs in space. The Rams trying to use him up the middle was bizarre to me. Doesn't make any sense, and 6 for 13 is what he has to show for it. Not great for his confidence. They gotta give him some outside runs in game two.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: DH is a niche player. He is not an every down back and never will be. His ceiling is James White/Tarik Cohen. He's not that big. He's good in open space and that's it.

I don't believe he'll ever reach that ceiling btw. Especially if the Rams can't seem to use him properly. If they do this again next week, I'm going to be upset.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:16 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:40 am Darrell Henderson, 6 carries, 13 yards.

I had to see the reply because I missed his carries last night. I reviewed DH inside and out, and concluded that he isn't an "up the middle" kind of back. All of his successful carries were sweeps or tosses to the outside, or dump-offs in space. The Rams trying to use him up the middle was bizarre to me. Doesn't make any sense, and 6 for 13 is what he has to show for it. Not great for his confidence. They gotta give him some outside runs in game two.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: DH is a niche player. He is not an every down back and never will be. His ceiling is James White/Tarik Cohen. He's not that big. He's good in open space and that's it.

I don't believe he'll ever reach that ceiling btw. Especially if the Rams can't seem to use him properly. If they do this again next week, I'm going to be upset.
the rams aren't gonna show how they're gonna use him in preseason. did you see his burst when he found a little hole for 7 yards? wait till they put him in space in the regular season.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 am

I really wouldn't read into preseason at all. Coaches are just using this time for trial and error, while holding significantly more back. Always a great idea to take advantage of those who are looking into it more.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:21 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:40 am Darrell Henderson, 6 carries, 13 yards.

His six carries were as follows:

RG - 7 Yards (Shotgun)
RE - 7 Yards
LT - Minus 2 Yards
RT - 2 Yards (Penalty Nullified)
LT - No Gain
Middle - No Gain
LT - 1 Yard

Most of his rushes were off tackle, which is technically considered an outside run, not up the middle. If he’s not capable of rushing anywhere near the tackles, he’s unlikely to be an effective player in the NFL. Even Cohen only runs roughly 50% of his plays to RE or LE.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:47 am

This is too funny. Miles Sanders carried the ball three times for three yards week 1 and no one thought it was notable enough to mention on this message board. I hear your opinion on Henderson. You had him outside your top 10 backs in this rookie class, behind the likes of Karan Higdon, Miles Gaskin, and Alex Barnes. You might be right; who can say at this point. This kind of argument betrays your agenda though.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 am

Only rookie back I've had a chance to watch this week that I was somewhat impressed by is David Montgomery. He didn't blow me away, but I can see a role for him for a couple years.

I've been holding out hope on Holyfield despite being undrafted. I though he looked alright. Not optimistic on his long term outlook, but two TDs is somewhat promising.

Hopefully we get to see Jacobs next week. He hasn't been the 1.01 in either rookie draft I've been in this offseason, which is weird to me. I'm expecting him to do well in the NFL.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 am

Reading into any running back performance in the preseason is a poor idea, regardless of who it is. They are running in a vanilla scheme behind what will not even be the starting line.

Criticizing Henderson but ignoring that a guy like Sanders had an even worse performance is hilariously hypocritical.

Remember when this place hopped all over Ameer Abdullah because he performed well in the preseason?

You would think the lesson would be learned by now.

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:35 am

The roto blurbs opinion section are awesome. Henderson rushed for 13 yards on 6 carries in the first preseason game, therefore he was over drafted.

I remember Jordan Howard's rookie year. I had drafted him in the last round in my redraft league, but we drafted kind of early that year. He and the offense had such a poor pre season that I dropped him. That was such a mistake. Preseason performance is meaningless unless a guy looks like a world beater against starting defense, or a guy looks horrible. All the in between stuff doesn't really matter.

I also remember Nate Burleson getting 3 TDs in a game from a young Stafford.

Remember Royce Freeman looking like a bull in preseason last year? Who ended up the best back?
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 am

I will add that Jaylen Samuels looked very smooth running the ball per usual. Just his usual self where he looks like one of the best, most fluid running backs in the NFL. Hopefully the Steelers don't waste his talent
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:41 am

I mostly use the preseason to see who’s getting snaps with the first team, second team, etc. Production only matters to me if the coaches adjust the reps based off of it.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 am

TheNuts wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 am I will add that Jaylen Samuels looked very smooth running the ball per usual. Just his usual self where he looks like one of the best, most fluid running backs in the NFL. Hopefully the Steelers don't waste his talent
The blocking was spectacular on that long run, I actually felt Samuels could have done more with that, TBH. However, I think Samuels will be a nice compliment to Conner this year. I don't think there is any way they pass as much as they did last year. Samuels is a solid looking player. I hope they use him in the passing game a bit this year, even when Conner is on the field. Would be nice to see him as a an H back.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:55 am

Also, the difference in game speed from a preseason and regular season game is drastic.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:03 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:55 am Also, the difference in game speed from a preseason and regular season game is drastic.
This happens every year. People tend to over analyze a small sample size of amateur quality football. We all tend to do it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 am

I consider the stats in preseason to be somewhat meaningless, but the tape helps you do some early filtering. If a guy doesn't look the part in preseason, they definitely won't in the regular season. If they are playing well, it can either help confirm what you saw in their college film or make you consider them more than before (while being careful not to react).