djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Re: David Montgomery

Postby djeternal2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 am

HereForTheComments wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 am
djeternal2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 am
Lord_Varys wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 am

Exaggeration, sure. I have no data behind it. But look, Lev Bell was a 4.60. You see plenty of RBs run in the 4.5s 4.6s range. I understand that weight adjusted speed scores are good correlators, and yet I know and see that all the things a RB does to have success in the NFL and to put up fantasy points has very little to do with breakaway speed.

Bell is the worst example to bring up in this conversation since he dropped 20 lbs from his rookie year to his second year which ultimately allowed him to be faster & more agile on the field. If he had never lost that 20 lbs I doubt we would have ever seen the top 5-10 RB we see in Bell now.
Unless he gained a ton of weight after the combine, there is no way he lost 20 lbs. His playing weight is 225 and he weighed 230 at the combine.
This info was well documented after his rookie season.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2 ... -offseason

"In Bell's rookie season, his listed weight was 244 pounds. Pretty heavy for a running back that is known for hurdling opponents.

In an interview with Mark Kaboly of TribLive Radio, Bell declared that his current weight is down to around 225 pounds, give or take. That would be the lightest he has been since before his freshman year at Michigan State.

When asked why he decided to cut weight Bell talked about not only making himself faster, but adding an element of explosiveness that he felt his game was missing in 2013."
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 am

djeternal2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 am
djeternal2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 am

Bell is the worst example to bring up in this conversation since he dropped 20 lbs from his rookie year to his second year which ultimately allowed him to be faster & more agile on the field. If he had never lost that 20 lbs I doubt we would have ever seen the top 5-10 RB we see in Bell now.
Unless he gained a ton of weight after the combine, there is no way he lost 20 lbs. His playing weight is 225 and he weighed 230 at the combine.

"In Bell's rookie season, his listed weight was 244 pounds. Pretty heavy for a running back that is known for hurdling opponents.

In an interview with Mark Kaboly of TribLive Radio, Bell declared that his current weight is down to around 225 pounds, give or take. That would be the lightest he has been since before his freshman year at Michigan State.

When asked why he decided to cut weight Bell talked about not only making himself faster, but adding an element of explosiveness that he felt his game was missing in 2013."
So, he gained a ton of weight after the combine... again, he weighed 230 at the combine. I can't imagine losing 5lbs from when he ran the 4.6 at the combine made that much of an improvement. It could have, but you are implying he lost 20 lbs from when he ran a 4.6 and he didn't. Im sure gaining 14 lbs had his 40 time much slower than 4.6, so yeah, he was faster than his rookie year, but that doesn't mean he was faster than his combine numbers.
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 am

HereForTheComments wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 am
djeternal2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 am

So, he gained a ton of weight after the combine... again, he weighed 230 at the combine. I can't imagine losing 5lbs from when he ran the 4.6 at the combine made that much of an improvement. It could have, but you are implying he lost 20 lbs from when he ran a 4.6 and he didn't. Im sure gaining 14 lbs had his 40 time much slower than 4.6, so yeah, he was faster than his rookie year, but that doesn't mean he was faster than his combine numbers.
Lev Bell said he played around 210-215 in 2016. That might make you faster than 244. LOL.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:10 am

Let's latch onto one small example and avoid the actual argument which comprised 95% of the post.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 am
His vision and ability to read and follow blocking without overrunning blocks may be stellar. I love those things about him.
It's hard to overrun your blocking when you have no burst.

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 pm

zeeshan2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm In case you missed it:

https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1158417601355296769
I don't put much stock into scrimmage runs like this. It's just not the same as a real game. Nice play, but it's not the real thing. Seen so many of these types of highlights. I remember Christine Michael doing stuff like this. Nice run, but it's a scrimmage. Guys aren't playing the same way. I like Monty, think he can be a decent NFL back for a few years, but this isn't anything special to me. The first guy gets bumped by an OL and is going to completely fall over on his own before Monty hits him, the second guy comes in and stops his momentum and tries to grab the ball and wrap up, it just looks like a scrimmage tackle where he isn't trying to completely blast the guy, and was really going for the Forced Fumble. It's terrible technique if you ever try that in a game. Then a few guys drag him to the ground. Decent run, nothing to get gaga over.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 pm
zeeshan2 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm In case you missed it:

https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1158417601355296769
I don't put much stock into scrimmage runs like this. It's just not the same as a real game. Nice play, but it's not the real thing. Seen so many of these types of highlights. I remember Christine Michael doing stuff like this. Nice run, but it's a scrimmage. Guys aren't playing the same way. I like Monty, think he can be a decent NFL back for a few years, but this isn't anything special to me. The first guy gets bumped by an OL and is going to completely fall over on his own before Monty hits him, the second guy comes in and stops his momentum and tries to grab the ball and wrap up, it just looks like a scrimmage tackle where he isn't trying to completely blast the guy, and was really going for the Forced Fumble. It's terrible technique if you ever try that in a game. Then a few guys drag him to the ground. Decent run, nothing to get gaga over.
This was what I was thinking, but I just didn't bother to state it. He could be good I just don't see someone that lasts or has "it."

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:35 pm

I wonder if this could be a good week for David Montgomery to make a case he remains in consideration for top RB of the 2019 class - at least for the early going. Personally I still have Jacobs - but Henderson, Hill, Sanders & others have not had much of an impact yet* - so it is really only Montgomery & Jacobs right now if you're looking for immediate production.

* - Does not mean that they will not have an impact - just that I recognize a large portion of the dynasty community is quick to move on from players so their value is taking a hit in those quarters.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 pm

I sold him off this week. He danced a little too much for me and overall I just don't trust the bears offense.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 am

Everything I feared about Monty has been displayed. He's a plodder. He has no burst. He's a JAG. His effort is off the charts, but he just doesn't have what it takes to beat NFL defenders the way he did in college, and this offense isn't good, either. Coming into his last college season, he was my top back, and was for a while into his last year, but I could not help but notice his lack of burst. I started dropping him down a bit, and the combine basically confirmed it. He was a really good college back, but I don't think he's a starting caliber NFL running back, long term.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am

I see him as a buy-low candidate.

Feels like Dalvin Cook's situaiton last year: poor blocking and/or playing against good run defenses, team playing from behind. He's not getting into a groove, small sample sizes.

I like the burst and fight he has. He's shown he can catch. I thought the offense would produce closer to last year, but they've regressed.

I don't blame anyone for bailing on him, but I still like him. This is dynasty, afterall. Play for the long term.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am I see him as a buy-low candidate.

Feels like Dalvin Cook's situaiton last year: poor blocking and/or playing against good run defenses, team playing from behind. He's not getting into a groove, small sample sizes.

I like the burst and fight he has. He's shown he can catch. I thought the offense would produce closer to last year, but they've regressed.

I don't blame anyone for bailing on him, but I still like him. This is dynasty, afterall. Play for the long term.
To my eyes (as well as some others I've heard), he literally has no burst. That's his issue. His game does not translate to an NFL field. He's a sub par athlete who is a grinder. He does have hands, but he just can't create anything on his own.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am I see him as a buy-low candidate.

To my eyes (as well as some others I've heard), he literally has no burst. That's his issue. His game does not translate to an NFL field. He's a sub par athlete who is a grinder. He does have hands, but he just can't create anything on his own.
We'll just have to disagree on burst. When he sees a hole, he has burst. There hasn't been much to see so far this season. Maybe it's more his fault than I'm giving him.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 pm

Have the Bears got David Montgomery going or do we think this was an aberration? Obviously the fantasy stat line was nice for Montgomery owners.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..