Is Jameis Winston a Starting QB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Gametime675
Captain
Captain

Re: Thoughts on Jameis Winston

Postby Gametime675 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:53 pm

I didn't watch a ton of TB games but from what I saw he still looks bad under pressure and just kind of chucks the ball up for grabs way more often than he should. Luckily, he has Mike Evans to save his butt (like KB in college). He's not as bad as I expected, and there are good points to his game, but I don't ever see him being elite or being able to carry a team - agree that he'll settle into that middle QB region where he's never really a consistent top QB but maybe has a couple nice seasons along with some duds.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

jubben wrote:To be fair.. he did specify rookie Luck.

Who's stats are who's for rookie season?
312 comp, 535 pass att, 58.3% completion, 4,042 passing yards, 7.56 avg yards, 22 TD, 15 INT, 54 rush att, 213 rushing yards, 6 total fumbles
339 comp, 627 pass att, 54.1% completion, 4,374 passing yards, 6.98 avg yards, 23 TD, 18 INT, 62 rush att, 255 rushing yards, 10 total fumbles

I'm not saying necessarily how one should be valued over the other, but it's also not fair to compare 4 years of luck to 1 year of Winston. If you're asking for similar numbers, I'd say they look pretty close.

*Full disclosure, there was one place they were farther apart, but that was team wins, which is a little more dependent on other factors? Luck brought the Colts to the playoffs with 11-5 record his rookie year, Winston only got TB to a 6-10 record.
There was a thread a while back with people sayin there was no way winston would come close to luck in terms of production.

If you look at "plus" numbers (passing yards, tds, rushing yards), Luck has more. If you look at "performance" numbers (completion %, yards per throw, fumbles), Winston is better. Which is more important in overall player evaluation?

SadBucsfan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SadBucsfan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:10 pm

zfifelski wrote:
jubben wrote:To be fair.. he did specify rookie Luck.

Who's stats are who's for rookie season?
312 comp, 535 pass att, 58.3% completion, 4,042 passing yards, 7.56 avg yards, 22 TD, 15 INT, 54 rush att, 213 rushing yards, 6 total fumbles
339 comp, 627 pass att, 54.1% completion, 4,374 passing yards, 6.98 avg yards, 23 TD, 18 INT, 62 rush att, 255 rushing yards, 10 total fumbles

I'm not saying necessarily how one should be valued over the other, but it's also not fair to compare 4 years of luck to 1 year of Winston. If you're asking for similar numbers, I'd say they look pretty close.

*Full disclosure, there was one place they were farther apart, but that was team wins, which is a little more dependent on other factors? Luck brought the Colts to the playoffs with 11-5 record his rookie year, Winston only got TB to a 6-10 record.
There was a thread a while back with people sayin there was no way winston would come close to luck in terms of production.

If you look at "plus" numbers (passing yards, tds, rushing yards), Luck has more. If you look at "performance" numbers (completion %, yards per throw, fumbles), Winston is better. Which is more important in overall player evaluation?
I think you have to look at both. Obviously in terms of fantasy, the raw numbers are more important because that's where points come from. However, in terms of NFL value, the advanced statistics hold a lot more value, and if a player's advanced statistics are good, then there is a decent chance that the raw numbers will improve with increased usage. If we extrapolate Winston's numbers based on what he did this year to match the same pass attempts as Luck his rookie year, here would be his stats:

366 comp, 627 pass att, 58.3% completion, 4737 passing yards, 7.56 avg yards, 26 TD, 18 INT

Those numbers are better than Luck's numbers as a rookie. Granted, Winston had a lot more help in the running game this year than Luck did his rookie year.
10 team PPR, 40 man roster, keep 33 each year (no penalty), 7 round rookie draft (starters)

QB - M. Ryan, R. Tannehill, D. Carr, J. Winston
RB - L. McCoy, L. Miller, G. Bernard, A. Morris, M. Jones, R. Hillman, C.J. Anderson, T. Rawls
WR - D. Thomas, A. Brown, J. Jones, J. Edelman, K. Aiken, J. Gordon, D. Adams, D. Parker
TE - G. Olsen, L. Green, J. Thomas, C. Walford
K - S. Hauschka
DL - R. Quinn, E. Griffen, O. Vernon, G. Hardy, C. Liuget
LB - K. Alexander, D. Trevathan, B. Marshall, B. Cushing, K. Alonso, H. Kikaha
DB - A. Colvin, W. Thurmond, B. Church, M. Jenkins

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:28 pm

zfifelski wrote:

Agreed, and from a fantasy perspective (which is really the only one we should care about unless it ends in a player being benched like Cutler last year) you want the passing yards and touchdowns. This won't stop people from bashing a player based on their efficiency though. While I'm certainly not saying Luck is a bad QB, a large part of what makes him a great fantasy asset is the volume of work he gets.

I was simply responding to the comment that they can't be valued similarly until Winston puts up similar numbers, and I was just thinking they were pretty close.

Do I think Winston will be the next Luck? Eh, that's probably a bold assumption, and really depends on whether he can get the volume passing wise.
Do I think most people wish they would've bought Luck before his 4,700 yard 40 TD year? Yep.

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Winston

Postby pmart33 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 am

What should the current market price to acquire Jameis Winson be in a 1 QB?

He carries his share or risk, given the fact that he may be one bad season away from irrelevance in the dynasty landscape. But I think Bruce Arians will straighten him out and he will continue to be a productive fantasy asset.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Ekeler Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Winston

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am

Mid to late 2nd. IDK, in 1 QB league, he's not worth very much.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Winston with arians

Postby sloth8u » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Admittedly i was high on winston comming out and had him top 4 in rookie drafts. As we've seen things play out he has found himself with a tremendous opportunity with the arians hiring and the talent around him. Ive been buying everywhere possible with the thought that he has the potential to take a big step this yr.

Any others have a strong feeling either way on how this relationship is likely to play out?

FastEddie
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Winston with arians

Postby FastEddie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Million Dollar Question.

If he can keep his TO’s down, I think he’s in line for a Top 8 season with a high floor and high ceiling, game in, game out.

I’m targeting him.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Between his off the field problems, overall inefficiency and accuracy issues -- especially deep (ranked 34th in 2018, 11th in 2017, and 28th in 2016 in deep ball accuracy according to deep ball projects) I don't see him succeeding short of Arians being a QB magician.

I could see him producing fantasy points in Arians scheme this offseason with one of the best supporting casts in football, but I think it's likely they move on from him after this year. That could all change if he gives us more of his highs and less of his lows this season; as it's hard to argue that when he's on he's one of the top QBs in the league.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm

This is his make or break year obviously. I'd say for this year only he is a great buy and could easily finish as a top 5 QB, I wouldn't take bets on his long term future though, If he does have the year I think he will, then I'll be selling him on a high note before next year.

It would also depend how your league scores ints, if its forgiving then get him now, if its harsh I'd avoid (obviously)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Good luck with white Jay Cutler...
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:41 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm Good luck with white Jay Cutler...
This is making my head spin

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Smoking Guns wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:41 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm Good luck with white Jay Cutler...
This is making my head spin
The hope is that winston "gives a damn". I can see the comparison....but maybe he's a "winner" and can take his profession seriously.

There are obvious concerns.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm

I have him in all three of my leagues.
That should tell you how I feel.

People tend to forget he is still only 25 despite entering year 5.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm just hoping he does well enough to get another contract with TB. My Qb situation will be dire if he gets shipped off to Miami or something.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass