Cutting retired players

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Cutting retired players

Postby Csl312 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 am

I have had the fortune to have Jordy and Doug Baldwin for a good number of seasons, but now they have both retired. I don't have much hope at all that either will return but for some reason it's tough to hit that drop player button "just in case". Does anyone else hesitate to drop recently retired players? Am I just crazy? Obviously come cut down time I'll need to make the roster limit and these guys should be at the top of the chopping block, but that day is soon for us!

FuzzySignificance
Starter
Starter

Re: Cutting retired players

Postby FuzzySignificance » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 am

I have no problem cutting them in all but the deepest leagues. The opportunity cost of clogging up a roster spot is much greater than the potential value either of them would provide.
12 team ppr, 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 2 flex
QB: Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Le'Veon Bell, Kerryon Johnson, Peyton Barber, Ronald Jones, Darwin Thompson
WR: Amari Cooper, Adam Thielen, Antonio Brown, Will Fuller, DeDe Westbrook, Robby Anderson, Marquise Goodwin, Justin Watson, Albert Wilson, Greg Dortch
TE: Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Kyle Rudolph, Delanie Walker, Ian Thomas, Gerald Everett

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:35 am

I think it varies. I'd have no problems cutting Jordy due to his age and lack of production recently and Baldwin due to his retirement being mostly due to health.

The more difficult ones are those players that could arguably still dominate, or at least compete if they were to come back. I don't know how long Megatron was held in all of my leagues, but it was years..

and for a more recent example I'm having a tough time cutting Gronk in my te premium. I don't think he will come back, but if he does he'll immediately be a high te2 or low te1 value wise. It's tough man. In general though just biting the bullet and picking up a young lottery ticket is probably the correct move.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:42 am

Not a horrible idea in some cases to hold until roster cut down day. Then, if someone really wants that player, they have to burn a draft pick on him.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:32 am

Through the years, ive found that if a fantasy player isnt even on an nfl team.....he really doesn't need to be on my rosters.

Its hard to hit the button but your going to have to do it sooner or later. The earlier you figure that out in this game, the better off you are.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:58 am

As with a lot of decisions it will be up to each owners risk assessment & roster space. For every Jason Witten & Marshawn Lynch who came back - there will always be a Calvin Johnson that people will hold onto. To me it is not much different than those last spots on your roster that you may save to churn UDFAs or unlikely rookies that may pan out.

To me if you feel the player has any chance of returning, and being useful to your team, then it makes sense to keep him 'just in case'. If it is a guy who is retiring that you feel is done - then a year off may not be likely to change that.

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... 5&t=158547

Thread on how owners feel about having players retire on their fantasy team.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Sinatra's Liver
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sinatra's Liver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am

We allow the owner of the retired player to own his rights if he comes back within 365 days.
10 Team, PPR, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2 Flex, 1K, 4 IDPs - Best Ball
QB: Lawrence, Watson, Richardson, Carr, Mayfield
RB: Barkley, Pollard, Dillon, M Sanders, Charb, CEH, Abanikanda
WR: Lamb, AJBrown, JSN, DJ Moore, M Evans, Jeudy, Watson, JPalmer
TE: Andrews, Goedert, Kmet, Njoku
K: Butker, Hopkins, Aubrey
DE: Gary, J Phillips, Rousseau, Wilkins
LB: Wagner, DevWhite, Roquan, E Jones, Nakobe, DevLloyd, CHarris
DB: Derwin J, Brisker, Pitre, Hamilton

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:52 am

Cut before your rookie draft, and hope someone else burns a pick and roster spot on them.

It's tough though - had to do it with Gronk and Baldwin this year, but felt quite cathartic once I'd hit the button
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Only guy I had to cut in his prime was Aaron Hernandez. Was pretty easy...
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Just drop them. Even if they come back, they're probably not going to play at a high level or be worth much.

GregOfTheDead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby GregOfTheDead » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:47 am

I can relate to this. I had Marshawn Lynch for a bit during his retirement and go figure he came back a few months after dumping him. But outside of this rare exception it doesn't happen too much. In my league cut guys can be picked up on waivers but as noted above if it causes someone to burn a pick on them if they want to take a stab? Drop! Drop anyway tbh.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:31 pm Just drop them. Even if they come back, they're probably not going to play at a high level or be worth much.
Exactly how I feel. And most of the time, they don't ever come back. Why hold that roster spot hostage on a wing and a prayer?
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:33 am

I'm in that current situation with Gronk, and yes, I have seen the recent pictures.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:28 am

assLive's Andrew Callahan reports Rob Gronkowski participated in a private workout with Tom Brady this week.
Gronk is not the first ex-teammate to participate in an offseason throwing session with Brady, but this workout adds fuel to the un-retirement fire. For his part, Gronkowski has continued to insist he is officially done and has lost around 20 pounds since hanging up his cleats, but he also told Rich Eisen he is not sure how he will feel "when the games start rolling around." Until he actually sits out the season, rumors about a return will persist.

SOURCE: MassLive
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 am

I think it would be tough to cut gronk just yet. In the end it wasn't too hard to cut jordy and Baldwin, but I always think it's a little tough when a guy first retires in case they could come back and be somewhat productive.