Scotty Miller

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Scotty Miller

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Scott Miller's roadblock is that the slot apparently isn't accessible with all this hype that Godwin will be playing the Fitzgerald role for Arians, i.e. he'll live in the slot in 3-wide.

The position ostensibly up for grabs in 3-wide is the other outside spot opposite Evans. Not only is Miller obviously not an outside-receiver in profile, he didn't play on the outside in college, either (in contrast to Lockett).

So Miller is definitely a deep dive. Seemingly, he'd need Godwin to go down before he could matter to us.

I agree he's worth watch-listing, though. Thanks for the heads up, OP.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm The 2nd most important thing to remember with guys like Scotty Miller, Justin Watson, Jake Kumerow and so forth - is not that they do not make it. It is that occasionally one of them can make it.

Basically, if you shut your eyes to these guys - then every once in a while, you miss out on a potential gem. Thats how you find Thielen, Lindsay, Prescott and/or Kittles* on other teams rosters than yours.

The most important thing is to remember to (a) not overload your roster with these guys and (b) make a decision on when you're comfortable moving on.

Basically if you have a 25 man roster, stashing 2-3 Scott Millers is perfectly fine. However if your roster is comprised of 10 of them - either you really just finished a total teardown, or you're leaving safe/better/easier to trade assets to other owners.

* - Some forget Kittles ADP going into the 2017 season was sub 200 and he was rarely taken in 4 round rookie drafts.

This is sound advice.

Don't get too attached in belief that they will turn out, but don't ignore them altogether. Probably the hardest part is figuring out when the lotto ticket you have isn't a winner and when to grab another one.

Speaking of roster spots and such... I got Miller off of waivers after my 16 team, 2QB, IDP league's 7 round draft (53 man rosters). I could do so, because I started a team blowup like I have never done in my 10+ (don't want to count) years of playing dynasty.

Something I learned in the process is the value of roster spots. I have made trades of an LB for a 3rd or something like that. I probably didn't win the trade, but I knew what the LB was at this point and he was going no higher. But I got a 3rd AND a free roster spot (as well as a LB that isn't scoring my blowup team points). That free roster spot went to someone like rookie Justin Hollins, LB Denver. He may not pan out. However, if he does, I have the 3rd and Hollins.

I have done this many times over on this team and have a TON of fliers. It's so exciting!! I have never been in the position to have so many and the flexibility to bail on any a any given time through the season for the next shiny object. If I had held that LB, it would be problematic to find a way to get the shiny object.

Obviously, that part won't work for every dynasty team but it's just another variable/method for grabbing/holding someone like Miller.

kingnesta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby kingnesta » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:36 pm

I think you should go back and watch tape on the guy. Yes, he is a deep sleeper but the guy played on the outside and wasn’t relegated to just the slot in college. In fact he will be playing on the outside in the DJax spot (Z/Flanker) and Godwin will move into the slot during three wide sets. His style, speed fits perfectly for the Arians offense and he prefers playing on the outside.
12 team-PPR-49 man roster IDP 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(rb/wr/te), K, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 LB, 1 DB, 1 Flex (DL,LB,DB)
QB - Ryan, Winston, McCarron
RB - Hunt, Hyde, CJ Anderson, Dixon, Stewart
WR - Julio Jones, Hopkins, Allen, Jeffrey, Cobb, Moncrief, Floyd, Nelson, Rogers, Godwin
TE - Olsen, Ertz, Doyle, Cook
K - Lutz
DT - McCoy, Linval Joseph
DE - Mario Edwards, Avril, Graham
LB - Kirksey, Alexander, Timmons, Trevathan, McKinney, Minter
DB - Jenkins, Byron Jones

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:59 pm

kingnesta wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:36 pm I think you should go back and watch tape on the guy.
Already watched the cut-up of two games. The overwhelming majority of snaps were slot.

He got snaps on the outside whenever it was 1 or 2-wide, which wasn't often.
In fact he will be playing on the outside in the DJax spot
In fact you don't know this, and he hasn't officially climbed the chart past Perriman, Watson, Lodge (all more logical options to play on the outside). Especially Perriman, who's been explicitly stated to be a lock to make the 53 with his fully guaranteed contract.
he prefers playing on the outside
I doubt he's actually said this, but you're welcome to source it.

What I do know has been said, is Arians stating Miller would "give [the Bucs] speed in the slot."
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:29 am

Scotty Miller is starting to get more snaps and is on the verge of overtaking Bobo Wilson for the three spot. He went from one or two snaps a game to 11% two weeks ago to 37% last week. There are rumours that the Bucs may look to cut Breshad Perriman in order to game the compensatory pick formula:

https://thepewterplank.com/2019/10/11/b ... uccaneers/

Still no idea why the team hates Justin Watson, but he can’t seem to get more than a snap or two a game. I was surprised to see Bobo ahead of either of these guys, but it appears we may finally be approaching Miller time.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am

Very cool good work EC!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 pm

And he finished with a 60% snap share this week and seems to have officially passed Bobo on the depth chart. There is some best ball upside here.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Bobo Wilson cut. I suspect this means Perriman is sticking and is healthy. Will be interesting to see how the depth chart looks when the Bucs return from the bye.

K - Just a stupid kicker

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Digging up this topic since Scotty just got some playing time and played pretty well. I scooped him up off waivers and I'm kinda excited about him. He culd be a good deep threat for Jameis. I feel like Evans and Godwin require a lot of attention which might open up some opportunities for Miller. Or vice versa, he might only open things up for Evans and Godwin. What do you guys think??
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

DynastyDabbler wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 pm Digging up this topic since Scotty just got some playing time and played pretty well. I scooped him up off waivers and I'm kinda excited about him. He culd be a good deep threat for Jameis. I feel like Evans and Godwin require a lot of attention which might open up some opportunities for Miller. Or vice versa, he might only open things up for Evans and Godwin. What do you guys think??
I’m still very much on the bandwagon. He’s still splitting time with Perriman which isn’t optimal, but Perriman is not good and has less yards with more than double the snaps. Arians will eventually wake up and fully bench Perriman if he hasn’t made that decision already.

K - Just a stupid kicker

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Am I crazy in thinking that it may be hard for them to keep Godwin after next year? If they sign Winston to an extension I don’t think it would be out of the question that they can’t pay Godwin, Evans, and Winston... and if Godwin leaves then that’s a lot of opportunity for another player to step up. If they let Winston walk then they draft a rookie and sign Godwin... leaving few targets to go around.

Good deep stash, but I think he needs some things to fall right in the next year for him to really become relevant.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Shcritters wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:21 pm Am I crazy in thinking that it may be hard for them to keep Godwin after next year? If they sign Winston to an extension I don’t think it would be out of the question that they can’t pay Godwin, Evans, and Winston... and if Godwin leaves then that’s a lot of opportunity for another player to step up. If they let Winston walk then they draft a rookie and sign Godwin... leaving few targets to go around.

Good deep stash, but I think he needs some things to fall right in the next year for him to really become relevant.
I'm thinking they let Winston walk. Which leaves us with option two.. :thumbdown:
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:52 am

Shcritters wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:21 pm Am I crazy in thinking that it may be hard for them to keep Godwin after next year? If they sign Winston to an extension I don’t think it would be out of the question that they can’t pay Godwin, Evans, and Winston... and if Godwin leaves then that’s a lot of opportunity for another player to step up. If they let Winston walk then they draft a rookie and sign Godwin... leaving few targets to go around.

I still remember that early season rumor/speculation that there was a top tier WR who was surprisingly "on the block", or something like that. Rappoport, I think? Regardless, clearing Evans and his contract would give them the cap space to retain their guys and free targets for Godwin and Miller.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:24 am

ArrylT wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm The 2nd most important thing to remember with guys like Scotty Miller, Justin Watson, Jake Kumerow and so forth - is not that they do not make it. It is that occasionally one of them can make it.

Basically, if you shut your eyes to these guys - then every once in a while, you miss out on a potential gem. Thats how you find Thielen, Lindsay, Prescott and/or Kittles* on other teams rosters than yours.

The most important thing is to remember to (a) not overload your roster with these guys and (b) make a decision on when you're comfortable moving on.

Basically if you have a 25 man roster, stashing 2-3 Scott Millers is perfectly fine. However if your roster is comprised of 10 of them - either you really just finished a total teardown, or you're leaving safe/better/easier to trade assets to other owners.

* - Some forget Kittles ADP going into the 2017 season was sub 200 and he was rarely taken in 4 round rookie drafts.
This and Miller is on several of my teams. Why roster a WR5 tier vet for a bye week when you can take a chance on someone who's ceiling is yet unknown? Always try to get a few "could be" guys on the roster rather than keeping cloggers rostered.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton