Top Contrarian Picks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Top Contrarian Picks

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm

This thread is "Fake News" ... not a single pick in 3 pages is from Clarion so none are "Contrarian Picks " :snooty:

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm This thread is "Fake News" ... not a single pick in 3 pages is from Clarion so none are "Contrarian Picks " :snooty:
CC is still putting chisel to stone tablet. His contrarian picks will be in around 2050.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm

djeternal2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm
cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:42 pm This thread is "Fake News" ... not a single pick in 3 pages is from Clarion so none are "Contrarian Picks " :snooty:
CC is still putting chisel to stone tablet. His contrarian picks will be in around 2050.
:lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 am

dmac37 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm Devonta Freeman finishes as a top 6 RB in PPR this season
Jax Jags become more balanced with BDN Foles replacing Bortles & the Jags defense returns to 2017 form and they go to the super bowl
Aaron Rodgers bounces back and is still the top QB in NFL and FF
Jaylen Samuels is the RB to own by the end of the year in Pittsburgh
really? Hope you're right as I happen to have a few shares of Samules, mostly from last year's run.

Is this a statement that Connor won't stay healthy or a double-deep contrarian that Jaylen outplays Conner for the starting gig?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 am

The Steelers RB of the future is still in college.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am

pvillebiker wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 am
dmac37 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm Devonta Freeman finishes as a top 6 RB in PPR this season
Jax Jags become more balanced with BDN Foles replacing Bortles & the Jags defense returns to 2017 form and they go to the super bowl
really? Hope you're right as I happen to have a few shares of Samules, mostly from last year's run.

Is this a statement that Connor won't stay healthy or a double-deep contrarian that Jaylen outplays Conner for the starting gig?
I'm not sure why more people aren't worried about this turning into an RBBC. Yes, Tomlin has typically rode a single RB; but they've also never had their backup be more efficient than the starter. Even in Deangello Williams zombie year he averaged 4.5 YPC, Bell averaged 4.9 YPC. I'm always worried about the coaching correlation trap; personnel is often what dictates usage. RB is a bit of a special snowflake here since it's much more difficult to tell who is the better RB in practice; but Jaylen is now a known commodity after he started towards the end of the season.

Last season, in limited starts Conner averaged 4.5, and Jaylen averaged 4.6 and is a better receiver.

Conner is still the guy to own in this backfield, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a much less RB1 dominated backfield in 2019.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 am

IZigUZag wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am
pvillebiker wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 am

I'm not sure why more people aren't worried about this turning into an RBBC. Yes, Tomlin has typically rode a single RB; but they've also never had their backup be more efficient than the starter. Even in Deangello Williams zombie year he averaged 4.5 YPC, Bell averaged 4.9 YPC. I'm always worried about the coaching correlation trap; personnel is often what dictates usage. RB is a bit of a special snowflake here since it's much more difficult to tell who is the better RB in practice; but Jaylen is now a known commodity after he started towards the end of the season.

Last season, in limited starts Conner averaged 4.5, and Jaylen averaged 4.6 and is a better receiver.

Conner is still the guy to own in this backfield, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a much less RB1 dominated backfield in 2019.
Conner sustained that average over a much larger workload, which is a more difficult feat to accomplish. I think Samuels will get some touches, but Conner is going to be the lead back in Pittsburgh, barring injury. What he did last year was impressive, and with Big Ben basically getting whatever he wants, I expect Conner to be fed. He was a huge supporter of Conner last year. If Conner misses any time, though. Samuels can be that league winner, just like Conner was.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am

How was Conner a league winner if he disappeared in the fantasy playoffs?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:16 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am How was Conner a league winner if he disappeared in the fantasy playoffs?
I guess I meant a guy that was almost worthless that propelled your team to a much better record. Sorry. I remember a guy trading Shady McCoy for Conner and John Kelly and getting blasted for the deal last off season. How things change.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:30 pm

The level of disrespect for Conner’s play on these threads is a bit much. It seems as if people didn’t watch him play and dismiss the strong tendency in that offense to ride one primary back. Conner, if healthy, has a great shot at a top 10 Rb year. He is clean off the field, has great relationship with Big Ben and Tomlin. I agree that Samuels would be a great handcuff with upside if an injury robs Conner of sig time. I expect Pitt to run more than last year and I fully expect them to lean more on Conner. He is no slouch in the passing game either.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am How was Conner a league winner if he disappeared in the fantasy playoffs?
I would not say he was a league winner, but I have no doubt that he was an asset that carried many a team into the fantasy playoffs. No less than 6 of my teams with James Conner on them made the playoffs. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm

The level of disrespect for Conner’s play on these threads is a bit much. It seems as if people didn’t watch him play and dismiss the strong tendency in that offense to ride one primary back. Conner, if healthy, has a great shot at a top 10 Rb year. He is clean off the field, has great relationship with Big Ben and Tomlin. I agree that Samuels would be a great handcuff with upside if an injury robs Conner of sig time. I expect Pitt to run more than last year and I fully expect them to lean more on Conner. He is no slouch in the passing game either.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm
I would not say he was a league winner, but I have no doubt that he was an asset that carried many a team into the fantasy playoffs. No less than 6 of my teams with James Conner on them made the playoffs. 8-)
And then what? I'm sure a lot of those owners struggled in the playoffs because they only qualified due to the early success of Conner.

I guess that's my biggest "Contrarion" take though, I think James Conner is the single most overvalued asset in the game. He's nothing more than a capable NFL RB who was playing on the right team, the right offense, behind the right OL and all at the right time because they were trying to prove they didn't need Bell. He's nothing special and will be completely irrelevant in 2 years time, if that. Another guy along the lines of Alfred Morris, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill and countless others.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:51 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 pm
ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm
And then what? I'm sure a lot of those owners struggled in the playoffs because they only qualified due to the early success of Conner.

I guess that's my biggest "Contrarion" take though, I think James Conner is the single most overvalued asset in the game. He's nothing more than a capable NFL RB who was playing on the right team, the right offense, behind the right OL and all at the right time because they were trying to prove they didn't need Bell. He's nothing special and will be completely irrelevant in 2 years time, if that. Another guy along the lines of Alfred Morris, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill and countless others.
Well we all know of the stories owners share where guys like Tim Hightower, Justin Jackson & Shaun Draughn help a team win their championship game.

I don't think a player can be blamed if they could not be used in a playoff game if they were reliable enough to help get you there in the first place. Honestly I'd rather they miss the game and be forced to use someone else than use them and have them put up a goose egg. You'll find just as many stories about goose eggs put up by guys like Brees or Rodgers or Thielen.

May as well punish Melvin Gordon who missed Games 13-15 - a critical stretch as well - or Kerryon Johnson or Kareem Hunt while we are at it. Those guys were all producing and their teams were on playoff paths and then ... No ones penalizing Odell Beckham or AJ Green and saying they wont be potential WR1s this year because of their missed games.

Moving on - the main difference between Conner and the guys you mentioned, including Lacy, is they never had the 3rd down production on top of the 2 down rushing value. Conner in 13 games had more receptions than any of those guys in any of their seasons. Heck Conner could this season surpass Morris & Hill combined in total receptions.

I have absolutely no issue if you feel Conner is overvalued. So if you or any owner wishes to wash their hands of him because they feel that the Steelers will cast him aside sooner than later, thats perfectly ok by me - we all have to take our risks - and the risk you take on that stance will play out soon enough. It should be noted though that even when Bell was injured, the Steelers went right back to him whenever he returned. We'll soon see if they follow this trend with Conner.

However I do think punishing any player for not being there in the playoffs last year carries a lot of extra risk. Just food for thought.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm not "punishing" him for missing the playoffs, I was never a big fan of his to begin with even when he was healthy and playing well.

As for the player comparisons I wasn't so much comparing their playing styles and abilities, but more so that they were average RBs that performed well early and soon faded away to irrelevance and I see Conner doing the same.