Todd Gurley to bust in 2019?

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Todd Gurley to bust in 2019?

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 pm

"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 am

MG3 was pretty cheap there for a bit too...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:28 am

His trainer confirmed that he is dealing with an arthritic knee.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am

Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it’s a shoulder, a knee, an ankle,” Gaines said. “He’s now at the year-five mark, all we’re doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that’s going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count.”

Surprised he said it

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it’s a shoulder, a knee, an ankle,” Gaines said. “He’s now at the year-five mark, all we’re doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that’s going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count.”

Surprised he said it
Serious question for the doctors out there, does every surgery actually lead to arthritis in the involved joints? Because it seems like there's a RB coming back from an ACL seemingly every year and you hardly ever hear about them dealing with arthritis in the knee? I knew that there was an increased chance after surgery, but his Trainer is making it seem like it's an expected outcome? :think:

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:02 am

IZigUZag wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:53 am

Serious question for the doctors out there, does every surgery actually lead to arthritis in the involved joints? Because it seems like there's a RB coming back from an ACL seemingly every year and you hardly ever hear about them dealing with arthritis in the knee? I knew that there was an increased chance after surgery, but his Trainer is making it seem like it's an expected outcome? :think:
Found this:
A 2017 study found that about 75 percent of people who underwent ACL reconstructive surgery had arthritis findings on x-rays of their knee within 10-15 years of the time of surgery. This is a frightening finding, considering many ACL tears are treated in the teens and twenties of young athletes. These young people are then facing the prospect of managing knee arthritis as soon as in their 30s, a time when thoughts of arthritis are seldom on people's minds. Risk of developing arthritis is especially high in young people who also damage the meniscus cartilage or articular cartilage, rather than those who have isolated ACL tears.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/knee-art ... ar-4154784

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it’s a shoulder, a knee, an ankle,” Gaines said. “He’s now at the year-five mark, all we’re doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that’s going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count.”

Surprised he said it
He must play Fantasy Football. :lol:

The trainer also said:

"It's never been told to me that there's a plan to decrease his workload come Week 1," Gaines said. "At the end of the day, you need solid running backs, and they grabbed a home-run running back in the third round. ... If you watched the games last year, Todd typically sat out two to three series last year. I don't see anything changing with that, so you need a back who can catch, and I believe Darrell averaged around 9.0 yards per carry, a home-run type guy."

NFL Network’s Steve Wyche reported last month that Gurley was going to lose 6 pounds to play at 218 this year; Gaines said the weight loss is not because of his knee trouble.
“It was a collective decision for him to play a little lighter this year, not because of injuries, just because I just feel he's one of the faster players in the league,” Gaines said. “He doesn't have to play at 224. 218 is only 6 pounds less, so I wanted to decrease his body fat a little bit and get him to the point where he's a tad smaller so he can be a tad faster and a little bit bigger from a lean muscle mass standpoint. He's going from basically 10 percent body fat to 7 percent body fat.”

When MJD spoke about a week ago, he said the plan was decrease snaps for Gurley, not touches. This is all very interesting. I still feel they may manage his touches slightly.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 am
MG3 was pretty cheap there for a bit too...
MG had microfracture, which usually shortens a career. Has also dealt with multiple problems last year, with his knee, MCL strain for one.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:43 pm

I have always been a fan of Malcolm Brown and think he is a capable backup to Gurley, who could, like many RBs, maintain a lead role for a short period of time. However I do not think the Rams kept Brown due to concerns with Gurley. I think they did it because they really like Malcolm Brown, and his all-around abilities, especially on special teams. In other words he is one of those RBs who is good at everything, just not special/great at anything.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... ial-teams/
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:24 pm

For my sig league, Gurley is projected to finish 16th in RB scoring this year. RBs projected to out score him- Zeke, Barkley, Bell, Kamara, Conner, McCaffrey, Gordon, Dam Williams, David Johnson, Fournette, D Cook, Chubb, Mixon, A Jones, M Mack.

If he finishes in that high/mid RB2 range, is that a bust?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 pm I think RB#16 is his ceiling. I actually doubt he plays a full 16 games in 2019.
Stop it.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 pm I think RB#16 is his ceiling. I actually doubt he plays a full 16 games in 2019.
Stop it.
Stop this entire debate. What a cyclical nightmare.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Until the NFL gives us something else to discuss you can fully expect this, Tyreek Hill & Damien Williams to remain hot topics to discuss even if there isnt really anything new to digest. I do feel thought that recent developments have me personally more optimistic - and I was not even that worried to begin with. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:41 pm

This will be my last post in this thread until after the 2019 NFL regular season.

There are more red flags about Todd Gurley than at a Chinese military parade. The dude is clearly dealing with a debilitive knee issue and the Rams organization are being disingenuous at every turn. Hold him, buy him, do whatever you want. But come January, expect a big I TOLD YOU SO from CultNation™.