Why is the majority so high on Miles Sanders???

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Why is the majority so high on Miles Sanders???

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 am

Outliers are outliers until they are the norm.

Up until recently it was an outlier to have a TE with a 1000 yard season. Now the top TEs are projected to have them yearly.

At one point in order to be a viable RB1 you needed to have X % of the touches/carries/receptions. Then guys like Kamara & Tarik Cohen appeared and Danny Woodhead & Fred Jackson before them, suggested that if you were efficient enough with your role, even if it was 50-60% rather than 75-80%, you could still be fantasy relevant.

Obviously the desire is to have that Bell or Barkley who can do enough to stay on the field for that 75-80% share, but as has been mentioned, the game is changing and teams are more aware that they can cut down somewhat on a players role and still maximize his efficiency.

Whether or not that will be the case in Philadelphia is yet to be seen. Pederson as we all know comes from the Andy Reid tree. That does not mean he will do exactly what Andy Reid would do - just that he should be well aware of the benefits of both RBBC and a featured back and not be tied to one choice.

I do know that so far, the projections for Sanders are not that favorable - he's projected as an RB4 by one guy - who with 20 years of experience doing redraft projections is a guy I can at least respect - that same guy has Damien Williams projected as a low RB2 high RB3.

However projections are just that projections. Every year projections turn out to be completely incorrect due to data/events that we were unaware of. This could favor Sanders, or it could harm him.

How much production Sanders will earn this year is yet to be seen. And how much that production is worth to you, is only a decision you can make. What may be worth an early 1st to one owner, may only be a late 1st to early 2nd value to another. Re-draft is re-draft and dynasty is dynasty - but they are always going to be inextricably linked - because the re-draft production is always going to shade our view going forward on a players value long term.

In the end I think there is a wide range of outcomes for Miles Sanders, and too much has to play out before we can ascertain with any certainty what his likely outcome will be - at least for 2019. For 2020 and beyond his draft capital alone suggests he'll get a shot at RB1 production.

I also have no problem with "hot takes" as long as its just hot takes and not hot takes mixed with inflammatory dialogue. Sometimes you need to believe in a player (or believe completely against a player) in order to benefit. We saw that last year with Mahomes. Other times that ardent belief in a projection is what destroys your season. We saw that last year with anyone who bet against CMC or Kamara repeating.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 am

Vcize wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am Sanders has loads of talent. The draft position of others in different drafts means NOTHING.

What the Eagles did in the past means nothing.

If Sanders is the best back, can run, catch, and deal with pass protection then he will be a stud for the Eagles.

Just because teams used RBBC in the past is not close to an indicator of what they will do in the future.

Teams win putting their best players on the field as much as feasibly possible. Thinking otherwise is straight up foolish.

Obviously Philly thinks he has a shot to be a star or they never would have drafted him there.
This sounds exactly like what people were trying to convince themselves about Sean Payton years ago.
Read that sentence.....

Payton as a coach isn't a fool. Coaches highlight the best players. Kamara was a top 5 back in a so called committee approach with 194 carries. CMC was a top 2 fantasy back with only 219 carries.

The bottom line is Sanders can not only run the ball he can also catch. In today's NFL coaches are looking for do it all RB's that can impact the game in more spread offense at a fast pace between the 20's.

The whole concept of RBBC is pretty passe in ppr fantasy football. If a fantasy owners want to draft a runner only limited receiving skills then IMO they will be disappointed most likely. Jordan Howard as an example was 5th in carries last year in the NFL but ranked 38th in fantasy scoring points per game. Cohen ranked 50th in carries but 12th in fantasy scoring.

Sanders was drafted high because he has a diversified skill set. While he isn't Barkley as I have stated, he does possess the same type of skill sets. Go back and look at the combine if you want to see athletic comparisons. The tape will show running styles.

His last year at State, Sanders had 244 touches which included 24 receptions.

My take is people may be discounting him because of his college stats but then again he played behind Barkley and pretty much every back in today's NFL would have too. Barkley is a 4.4 guy, Sanders is 4.45 guy. Both are fluid players and both have wiggle, burst, and vision.

Sanders is way better than many around here think IMO. Time will tell but he was drafted to be an impact player and he does have the skill set to be just that.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 am

Sanders is a good running back. I highly doubt he's ever going to be elite. Even if he is in a committee, which most RB's are, I think he's a good enough player that he can be a solid RB2 with his skill set.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:52 am

Ice wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 amRead that sentence.....

Payton as a coach isn't a fool. Coaches highlight the best players. Kamara was a top 5 back in a so called committee approach with 194 carries. CMC was a top 2 fantasy back with only 219 carries.
I think the previous post was referring to when Sean Payton paid a first and second round pick to draft Mark Ingram. Many, including me, thought that meant the end of his RBBC and Ingram would be featured. Ingram was largely a disappointment for fantasy owners for the first three years.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:52 am

I think the previous post was referring to when Sean Payton paid a first and second round pick to draft Mark Ingram. Many, including me, thought that meant the end of his RBBC and Ingram would be featured. Ingram was largely a disappointment for fantasy owners for the first three years.
I'd say Ingram's problem is he wasn't very good. Which is definitely a possibility with Sanders, as well. A lot of RBs are overdrafted.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:54 am

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 am

I'd say Ingram's problem is he wasn't very good. Which is definitely a possibility with Sanders, as well. A lot of RBs are overdrafted.
Agreed. I've had I gram since day 1 and my patience finally paid off. Ingram. Really struggled for about 4 years, it wasn't UNTIL he was put it a RBBC that he was able to shine more. Before I think they were trying to shoe horn him in as a prototypical 1980s feature back. Bringing in a guy like Kamara is what made him an RB1 again.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 am

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 amI'd say Ingram's problem is he wasn't very good. Which is definitely a possibility with Sanders, as well. A lot of RBs are overdrafted.
I think Ingram was very good, just not a great fit for the system New Orleans had in place. Had he gone to Seattle, we might be talking about Ingram as a perennial pro bowler.

We might see Ingrams best-ever seasons in Baltimore.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am

I know exactly what he meant, that wasn’t the point. When Kamara was brought in he knew how to use his talents and expose defenses.

Too many fantasy owners get wrapped up in RBBC concepts but the reality in the NFL is all about talent utilization.

Sanders isn’t a Howard or Ingram type in his overall skill set.

I would be careful planting a flag that Sanders will be in negative RBBC situation.

He is an electric talent with elite burst, soft hands, and very good vision.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:45 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 am
IZigUZag wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 amI'd say Ingram's problem is he wasn't very good. Which is definitely a possibility with Sanders, as well. A lot of RBs are overdrafted.
I think Ingram was very good, just not a great fit for the system New Orleans had in place. Had he gone to Seattle, we might be talking about Ingram as a perennial pro bowler.

We might see Ingrams best-ever seasons in Baltimore.
Ingram still is very good. I agree he could excel for the Ravens and have been quietly buying him in multiple leagues.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am

Ice wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am

I know exactly what he meant, that wasn’t the point. When Kamara was brought in he knew how to use his talents and expose defenses.

Too many fantasy owners get wrapped up in RBBC concepts but the reality in the NFL is all about talent utilization.

I would be careful planting a flag that Sanders will be in negative RBBC situation.

Well said. I have Sanders behind only Jacobs in this class. Liked him the second I started watching him back in October.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:49 am

Just to reiterate and for the record, I stated both that Sanders will be in a RBBC and that he will have fantasy value.
I feel like too many get too wrapped up in expectations and want every RB to be a workhorse, otherwise they do not have value.

While the majority of your top tier running backs obtain a ton of value from workhorse touches, unless you are playing in an insanely shallow league - the non workhorse guys can have value as well.

The Eagles coaching staff has produced uninspiring numbers thus far from their running backs up until this point, but the case could easily be made that they haven't had backs as talented as Sanders or even Howard.

I will again reiterate that I view him as a low-end RB2; but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for him, as long as he can consistently do it. I wouldn't touch Sanders at his ADP, but for those who don't have a choice - you just have to be realistic about what you are getting. It's not bellcow or bust.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:52 am

Ice wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am

Stop it. Ive been Sanders lover for months. Gettin me all hot and sweaty over here.

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Phaded wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:49 am Just to reiterate and for the record, I stated both that Sanders will be in a RBBC and that he will have fantasy value.
I feel like too many get too wrapped up in expectations and want every RB to be a workhorse, otherwise they do not have value.

While the majority of your top tier running backs obtain a ton of value from workhorse touches, unless you are playing in an insanely shallow league - the non workhorse guys can have value as well.

The Eagles coaching staff has produced uninspiring numbers thus far from their running backs up until this point, but the case could easily be made that they haven't had backs as talented as Sanders or even Howard.

I will again reiterate that I view him as a low-end RB2; but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for him, as long as he can consistently do it. I wouldn't touch Sanders at his ADP, but for those who don't have a choice - you just have to be realistic about what you are getting. It's not bellcow or bust.
Just curious (because a value your opinion) what price would you touch him for?
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 pm

PTW32 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:21 pmJust curious (because a value your opinion) what price would you touch him for?
It is hard to say because everyone is different with their price tags.

I would have him probably around the RB 20-25 range [so whatever you are willing to pay for that, personally around the same value/price as a guy like Penny (who I think will see a huge spike in value by this time next year and I actually prefer him over Sanders)]. In this class - I can see why he is being valued a little bit higher and I think trading down or out is the best option, but if you have no choice then I can understand the choice.

However, people are getting a bit too bullish on him.
DLF RB Rankings currently have him as their RB14 which is crazy to me.
Ahead of guys like Jacobs, Mack, A Jones, Freeman, Fournette, Hunt and more.

For me - he's not a guy I want as an every week RB, I would want him as my RB3 or FLEX guy; those are the prices I would consider paying for him (and even then, it depends).

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 pm

When people tell me that Sanders is doomed to be in an RBBC this is what y'all sound like to me:

"Pederson is basically Bill Belicheck. He's an Andy Reid disciple, but who cares-- he's committed to an RBBC approach regardless of talent discrepancies. Why? Well if he wanted a workhorse, why doesn't he have one already?! Why wouldn't he have implemented a one back system with Corey Clement, Wendell Smallwood, and Jay Ajayi on one knee and a fractured back? The eagles were in on all of those high profile RB trades because they wanted another back to add to their stable! They spent a premium draft pick on him because they don't think he's a 3 down back! Roseman saying otherwise was just lip service, of course!"

I fully expect Sanders to have to earn this backfield, and I'm not saying he's going to start week 1 as the starter... but is Jordan Howard going to hold him back? Hell no. Is Corey Clement, Wendell Smallwood? Again, no. This has the Nick Chubb, Carlos Hyde feel to it all over again, but I don't think Pederson will be as stubborn about changing status quo as Hue Jackson was. If Sanders is the vastly superior back, he's going to take over this backfield. If your rationale for not wanting Sanders is that he's just not very good, I'm ok with that. But don't use the PHI is committed to the RBBC philosophy as your primary defense for discounting his value in Dynasty.