Donte Moncrief.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Donte Moncrief.

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 am

Appreciate you sharing that article(s). That is exactly what you want to hear - slow steady drumbeats like that. Assuming this keeps up in training camp then we can definitely expect Moncrief to be a name that could make noise in 2019, and since he has a 2 year contract this could have the makings of a nice multi-year benefit. Something to keep a close eye on for sure.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 am

I'm still guessing Washington gets the nod for the WR2 position since they spent the draft capital on him and probably want to give him a chance. But Moncrief will get looks and if he's more productive than Washington (I think he will be, because yes, Washington is a stiff) then... it's still probably murky for fantasy except in very deep leagues.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Diontae not quiet afterall: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2 ... s-nfl-news

I sneaky liked Washington at this time last year, but that was back before I had more tape of him running first and second level routes. I'm more and more down on him at this point. I think there's a real chance he ends up behind both Moncrief and Johnson. I don't think the draft capital spent is enough to insulate him from the others, considering Diontae himself was picked 66th to Washington's 60th last year, and Moncrief is getting paid 5 million for this year. I think signing Moncrief and drafting Diontae is itself an indication the Steelers aren't confident in Washington being their WR2 this year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 am I'm still guessing Washington gets the nod for the WR2 position since they spent the draft capital on him and probably want to give him a chance. But Moncrief will get looks and if he's more productive than Washington (I think he will be, because yes, Washington is a stiff) then... it's still probably murky for fantasy except in very deep leagues.
I couldn't find out if Washington was running with the 1's in camp, but I know Big Ben pulled Diontae into at least partial reps starting on the outside. Given Washington's spectacularly hard flame out last season, I have a sneaking suspicion that Diontae is going to siphon enough playing time this year to make all 3 of these guys useless, and Diontae will be the target in 2020.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 pm

His ceiling very well may be 60/700 but you could do a lot worse for a back end roster guy.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm

I fully expect Moncrief to return low end WR2 to WR3 value. Not sure why there would be any doubt.
He has the talent and situation to easily be fantasy relevant.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:19 pm

They should put Juju in the slot some more I guess. I've always liked Moncrief. Pair him with Big Ben and he'll be more than fine.

Could score a decent amount of TDs like he did in Indy. If he doesn't start with the Steelers, then at least insert him as a Red Zone option.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm

remedy29 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm I fully expect Moncrief to return low end WR2 to WR3 value. Not sure why there would be any doubt.
Possibly, but the guy couldn't get going with Andrew Luck as his QB. He's one hell of an athlete.. but how much does that actually matter for a receiver? I believe he has had more problems than just bad QB play up this point.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26 am

remedy29 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm I fully expect Moncrief to return low end WR2 to WR3 value. Not sure why there would be any doubt.
All that talent has had him peak at 64 for 773 and 6 TDs in 16 games his sophomore year with Andrew Luck. Are we sure his talent is low-end WR2? There's a lotta good WRs out there.

His situation is one where he's competing with 2 young WRs that Pittsburgh spent 2nd round picks on. Good QB and opportunity perhaps... but not exactly loads of targets available for him.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 am

He is a guy I might throw in a DFS lineup and hope he hits due to his low percentage of lineups he will be in, but that is about it. Guessing the weeks he goes off is a tough challenge and I usually have the worst luck with that. That, and guessing when to start the scat backs like Sproles and Riddick in a flex spot with bye weeks/injury crunches. I always start them when they produce 2 carries for -1 yards, 1 catch for 14 yards 0 tds.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:27 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26 am
All that talent has had him peak at 64 for 773 and 6 TDs in 16 games his sophomore year with Andrew Luck. Are we sure his talent is low-end WR2? There's a lotta good WRs out there.

His situation is one where he's competing with 2 young WRs that Pittsburgh spent 2nd round picks on. Good QB and opportunity perhaps... but not exactly loads of targets available for him.
So when we say WR2, what standard are we using? Like how big is the league? Moncrief is probably WR3, but if it's a deep league, then maybe WR2, but let's see how things shake out. This is all hype right now.

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am

IZigUZag wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm Possibly, but the guy couldn't get going with Andrew Luck as his QB. He's one hell of an athlete.. but how much does that actually matter for a receiver? I believe he has had more problems than just bad QB play up this point.
Lord_Varys wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26 am All that talent has had him peak at 64 for 773 and 6 TDs in 16 games his sophomore year with Andrew Luck. Are we sure his talent is low-end WR2? There's a lotta good WRs out there.

These things aren't exactly true.

Moncrief hasn't exactly had the version of Luck we all know, or a very common start to his career.

2014: he was a rookie, and put up okay numbers for a rook. Esp considering he was the WR3, as Reggie Wayne was still serviceable at this point.

2015: during his "peak", Luck only played 7 games. In those 7 games, Moncrief was pacing for 73 catches/800 yards/11 TDs. That would of been about 219 ppr pts, and ranked at WR19 this yr (just behind Lockett, OBJ, and Cooper). Similar to Davante Adams 3rd and 4th yr seasons.

2016: was marred by injury and he only played 9 games. His play dropped off, he was always on/off the injury report, and his pace that season dropped for yardage but still would of been great for TDs. 53 catches/546 yards/12 TDs. Still would of been at a 179.2 ppr pts, and ranked at WR 30 this yr. (similar to Mike Williams sophomore season in 2018). *It should also be noted, that Luck was playing injured all yr in 2016 as well.

2017: Luck sat out, and Moncrief played 12 games with Jacoby Brissett. It was a down yr for every colt, including making ppl think TY was done.

2018: Another yr on the QB struggle bus with Bortles and co. The Jags were a tire fire last yr, so expecting big numbers would of been a bit much.

2019: Now he's paired with Big Ben, and they have 208 vacated targets between Brown and Jesse James going. His competition are two recent 2nd rounders, one in Washington who was highly touted, but also had one of the lowest pff scores for a rookie WR ever, and one who was a somewhat unheralded rookie at the draft.

The steelers have maintained one of the highest WR2 market shares in the NFL, and that's not just from Juju, that's historically. Obvs we don't know who is going to win that WR gig, but whoever does is primed for a breakout season. Based on the recent reports I'd put money on Moncrief or Johnson, but who knows, maybe Washington makes a surge in training camp. Either way, Moncrief is by far the cheapest ticket to this lottery, and has at least an equal chance of winning the role.

I wouldn't count him out for "not producing with Luck," he was decent with Luck when both were healthy, they just both had weird injury circumstances overlap their shared time in Indy.

Whomever wins that WR2 role in Pitt will very likely put up WR2 or WR3 numbers.

*Here's those Pitt WR share numbers if you're interested.
https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/a ... -for-2019/

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:08 am

^ Good post, Johnny. Thanks

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:26 am
remedy29 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm I fully expect Moncrief to return low end WR2 t3o WR3 value. Not sure why there would be any doubt.

That 2015 season Luck only played half the year - Matt Hasselbeck played the other half of the year. As a sophomore season it might not have been that impressive but it was still pretty decent and that suggested he was on the right track at the time - his 2016 off-season ADP was in the 3rd round as a result.

The next 2 years, full of injuries, not taking the next step forward in his hoped for development & other issues (like Luck missing all of 2017) is what derailed him from that hoped for WR1 career. I think we can all agree that is all in the past. I still think he has enough talent & a good enough situation to churn out a couple of WR2/3 type seasons, which are achievable with 100-120 targets, but this season will definitely be pivotal in that regards. If one or both of James Washington and Diontae Johnson can pass him on the depth chart then he'll be more of a WR4/5 but so far the signs seem positive he can be WR2 for the Steelers.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 am

Supposedly Ben has been signing his praises without being asked about him. Going out of his way to mention him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick