Vampire Dynasty League

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Vampire Dynasty League

Postby joeday » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 am

So I am strongly considering starting a Vampire league. The basics would be 12 team, PPR, 1QB, 2-3RBs, 3-4WRs, 1-2TEs (maybe no K or D/ST). I would run a number simulator not to determine draft order but to determine draft decision. If you draw pick 1 you get your choice of any draft position or to be the vampire, pick 2 gets the choice of any available draft position or be vampire if pick 1 doesn't, and so on. Honestly I think whoever has position 1 will take the Vampire spot. I am thinking of not having divisions so it is not unfair to the other teams that one division may have two very easy wins. I do think I will have special rules like once there is only one projected starting QB on the draft board he can not be drafted; only having 20 player rosters so after the draft the vampire may have some meat on the bone; etc.

So my question is, who all is in a vampire league and what suggestions do you have? Also, since this would be a dynasty, once we get into year 2 does the vampire part of the vampire league go away and it just turns into a normal dynasty?
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Vampire Dynasty League

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am

I've always thought this type of league was interesting. Would be fun to be the vampire in the league and build from nothing.

I also wonder if it would be better to do a SF league to spread around the scarcity of each position. When I think of a vampire league, I'm thinking it would take the vampire at least 2 years or so to start competing. I feel like you'd want that team to take a while to compete, because if they competed every year it would just be like redraft. Isn't the point that once they win, the whole league redrafts?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 am

Care to explain what a Vampire league is? By not explaining it I take it this is something mainstream, but i've never heard of it...assume others have not as well.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

I am in one. 14 teamer with 2 vamps. 14 teams allow each team to only play the vamp once. (Although I am sure 12 would be fine too). I thin the magic # is about 200-225 players gone before the vamp gets to pick, which you are right on with 12 and 20. (IMO this range gives the vamp no chance to win the league year 1, a decent chance in year 2 if they get lucky with a few wins year 1, and by year 3 they should have a top team unless they really get unlucky.)

Manipulating the QB scoring so that the bottom QBs score much less than top QBs helps because with the smaller rosters the non vamps wont want to roster many, leaving the vamps with a decent selection. This way there are still QBs available, but most weeks they really stink. It also forces the vamp to think very strongly about stealing a QB rather than a position player if they get a win.

The particular league I am in set up for 3 years. Vamps have 3 years to win. If they do win, the league ends. I suppose if we really wanted to we could continue, but the vamp team who wins will be stupid good so I am not sure why anyone would want to.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 am

FiremanEd wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 am Care to explain what a Vampire league is? By not explaining it I take it this is something mainstream, but i've never heard of it...assume others have not as well.
A team is designated the Vampire when the league starts. This team drafts their players after all other teams have finished drafting (most likely getting players ranked in the early to mid 200s). This team cannot place bids on free agents, rather only pick up players once they become first come first serve. However, if the vampire beats its opponent that week, they can steal any player on that opponents starting roster.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am

jomaed wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 am
FiremanEd wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 am Care to explain what a Vampire league is? By not explaining it I take it this is something mainstream, but i've never heard of it...assume others have not as well.
A team is designated the Vampire when the league starts. This team drafts their players after all other teams have finished drafting (most likely getting players ranked in the early to mid 200s). This team cannot place bids on free agents, rather only pick up players once they become first come first serve. However, if the vampire beats its opponent that week, they can steal any player on that opponents starting roster.
I've seen it where the vampire gets first dibs on FAs (say on tuesday night) then the next day it is open to everyone.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 pm

joeday wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am I've seen it where the vampire gets first dibs on FAs (say on tuesday night) then the next day it is open to everyone.
Ya there are many variations out there. I'd say this would be a good idea if you only wanted to Vampire portion to last a year or if you wanted the Vampire to have a bigger chance to win year 1. But if the Vampire goes for multiple years, the team would get good way too fast with this type of setup I think.

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 pm

This sounds like a really interesting mode for redraft, but this sounds absolutely terrible for dynasty. I can't imagine building a dynasty team around say Hopkins and then one bad week in season 1 sends him to a vampire team for nothing....

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

This. ^ Is there real money involved here?
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm

CubfanAA wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 pm This sounds like a really interesting mode for redraft, but this sounds absolutely terrible for dynasty. I can't imagine building a dynasty team around say Hopkins and then one bad week in season 1 sends him to a vampire team for nothing....
It's just a different type of dynasty and definitely not for everyone. The vampire team sucks though. If you lose to them, you should have to part ways with a player haha

What I want to ask the more experienced, once a vampire wins the league, you start all over correct? That's the only way to do it? I assume the vampire team would progressively become so good that it would force a league to redraft. Interested to hear any other solutions though

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Jigga94 wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
CubfanAA wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 pm This sounds like a really interesting mode for redraft, but this sounds absolutely terrible for dynasty. I can't imagine building a dynasty team around say Hopkins and then one bad week in season 1 sends him to a vampire team for nothing....
It's just a different type of dynasty and definitely not for everyone. The vampire team sucks though. If you lose to them, you should have to part ways with a player haha

What I want to ask the more experienced, once a vampire wins the league, you start all over correct? That's the only way to do it? I assume the vampire team would progressively become so good that it would force a league to redraft. Interested to hear any other solutions though
For a dynasty league, yes I'd imagine that the league full redrafts after the vampire wins once. First I'm hearing of the concept, but would be interested in joining a league to try it out.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm

only thing i could think of to keep it going would be to have the vampire start over. have all the vampires players be available through the rookie draft or some sort of auction or however. and if you want to rotate vamps, the winning vamp could choose what team he wants to take over.

and yes, the vamp team does really suck, but once they get lucky once or twice it snowballs into a good team pretty darn quick.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:20 pm

jomaed wrote: ↑Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm only thing i could think of to keep it going would be to have the vampire start over. have all the vampires players be available through the rookie draft or some sort of auction or however. and if you want to rotate vamps, the winning vamp could choose what team he wants to take over.

and yes, the vamp team does really suck, but once they get lucky once or twice it snowballs into a good team pretty darn quick.
I guess that would be the only way. And yes I agree, the struggle would be real at first, but it would make those first few wins so satisfying and then you could actually start competing.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:32 pm

This is the type of league I would enjoy if it was free and I was the vampire.

Otherwise, it is just another league as a "normal owner".

That said; that vampire team would need to be VERY lucky to win anything year one if their best player is in the 200s.

I don't like the "QB special rule" though - with that shallow of a league, it's special enough.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:58 pm

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... e#p1651716

https://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com ... e#p1532009

Someone started a Vampire league a couple of months ago - the link is in the thread so that may give you ideas hopefully on how to run one. Or rather I found a couple that could be helpful.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..