MFL vs Yahoo

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
spillertime
Role Player
Role Player

MFL vs Yahoo

Postby spillertime » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:53 am

Fellas, I have started up a new dynasty league and have decided to use MFL.

The problem: Everyone in my league has always used Yahoo for all of our fantasy leagues. A lot of them are having a hard time buying into MFL considering how much better the Yahoo user interface looks and have cited other reasons. I have tried to explain to them the pros to switching over to MFL, but I obviously have never used MFL before so I figured some of you guys (who have used both MFL and Yahoo) could cite good reasons for the switch and why we should or shouldn't use Yahoo.

I've created a link to this thread so all of them can go look at responses, so I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Thanks
Sir Peyton 12 Team • 5th Year • Non PPR
2010: 8th | 2011: 11th | 2012: 2nd | 2013: 4th | 2014: 1st

QB1 Peyton RB1 Miller RB2 Ellington WR1 Thomas WR2 Hopkins WR3 Watkins TE1 Gronk
Reserves QB Someone Shitty RB Spiller, Mathews, Sankey WR Marshall, Fitz, Nicks, Landry, Richardson, Randle TE Walker

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: MFL vs Yahoo

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 am

Not gonna lie - the learning curve on using MFL is higher than Yahoo. However, just spend a few hours exploring, and you'll never wanna go back.

For first time users, these are the basics:

Reports / Players / Top Performers/Player stats -- this will be a very useful tool for you, in preparing for the draft, for free agency, or just to see how your team stacks up. This is a very fun Report to play with - you can customize the report by position, number ranked, number of weeks, etc... My Top Performers and Free Agents is a related report and also very helpful.

I would suggest going through all of the Reports and looking at them just to see what they have to offer.

For Owners / Franchise Setup -- Here is where you can customize the layout of your page, the color scheme, etc. Without going into too much detail, and to encourage your own exploration, make sure you check out the Skins, Customize, and Home Page Links on the Franchise Setup page.

Again, check out all of the links under the For Owners heading.

I could go on, but you get the point - explore the site, give it a chance - you will be amazed.

-oo-

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am

There is no competition when it comes to hosts. MFL offers SO much. There are tons of modules and ways to customize the site to your needs.

All this freedom does have a downside in that it can be a bit overwhelming for folks (at first) that prefer simplicity. I suggest that when you set the site up, try to keep it simple and mirror some of the layout that folks are used to seeing.

The 1st year I joined MFL, I think I put SO much stuff on the homepage that it was sensory overload. So, I scaled it back some and cleaned it up with a neater look + some of my own CSS/HTML. Good luck. As the previous post states, once you give it a try, you'll never go back to another host.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

ChrisK
Starter
Starter

Postby ChrisK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 am

I have never used MFL, but...we switched from CBS to Yahoo last year because a few members wanted to save on the league fee, and we are now back to CBS. Yahoo is terrible for Dynasty. Trading needs to be equal (so 2 players for 1 plus a pick is difficult), player news is slow to update, yahoo is slow to put players on IR (screws up waivers if you do them Tuesday), found out in week 3 that yahoo system wasn't running our waivers correctly (emailed yahoo and they fixed it weeks later)....list goes on and on.

I would suggest staying away from yahoo for dynasty.
Non-PPR, 12 Team - 20 player roster, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE

QB: Luck, Flacco
WR: AJ Green, J. Jones, A. Robinson, T. Smith, Gordon, Garçon
RB: Murray, L. Bell, Randle, Vereen, J. Rodgers, Mason
TE: Kelce, Olsen, Reed

spillertime
Role Player
Role Player

Postby spillertime » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 am

How does MFL handle trading future draft picks?

Lets say someone trades Stevie Johnson for a 2013 first round pick. Is there an option where you can do this or does the future draft pick have to be kept in the notes or something like that? We haven't drafted yet so obviously we can't propose any trades yet.

QB1 Peyton RB1 Miller RB2 Ellington WR1 Thomas WR2 Hopkins WR3 Watkins TE1 Gronk
Reserves QB Someone Shitty RB Spiller, Mathews, Sankey WR Marshall, Fitz, Nicks, Landry, Richardson, Randle TE Walker

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am

spillertime wrote:How does MFL handle trading future draft picks?

Lets say someone trades Stevie Johnson for a 2013 first round pick. Is there an option where you can do this or does the future draft pick have to be kept in the notes or something like that? We haven't drafted yet so obviously we can't propose any trades yet.
Nope, it keeps track of all of it. You can go as far ahead as the commish sets it, usually only a year or two.

And also, if you're having a startup draft, you can absolutely trade those picks and future picks whenever the draft order is set.

strim5181
Role Player
Role Player

Postby strim5181 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am

spillertime wrote:How does MFL handle trading future draft picks?

All future picks trades are kept on the site. There is an "import future picks" option when it's time for the next years draft. It will do it automatically once you hit it. Check out all the way on the bottom here: ( I copied and pasted from the Commissioner Setup page )

Draft Setup

Draft Start Date/Time Setup
General Draft & Timer Setup
Revert Draft
Draft Order Setup - All Rounds
Draft Order Setup - One Round
Change Draft Pick
Skip Current Draft Pick
Archive Draft
Import Future Draft Pick Trades
- 14 Teams - year 8
Peyton Eli, Palmer
Charles, AP, Forsett, Taliaferro, Turbin
Cobb, BMarsh, Emmanuel, Harvin, Lafell, MWilson (CHI)
DAllen, Donnell, Rodgers
Levy, KJ Wright
Weddle
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, WR/RB/TE, 2LB, 2BD, 1DL

spillertime
Role Player
Role Player

Postby spillertime » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, lots of information to soak in after using Yahoo for so long.

I think the rest of my league was a little overwhelmed when they first signed on to MFL but I see it as the only way to do Dynasty right.

AHageman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AHageman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:29 am

MFL and never ever look back!!!

I've used both for years and it's not even close.
THE SCREAMING MONKEYS
QB: Brees, Rivers, GSmith, Locker
RB: TRich, ELacy, BPowell, JFranklin, SGreene, DRobinson (Jax), RJennings, MHardesty
WR: DBryant, SSmith, RWayne, JBaldwin, JMorgan, MJones, MSanu, DAvery, DJohnson
TE: JCameron, BPettigrew, BMyers
PK: PDawson

DL: KWimbley, NSuh, MBennet, JMincey, VCurry
LB: NBowman, RAllen, DHightower, JMichael-Johnson, SNicholas, DHawthorne, MHerzlich, BUrlacher, KSheppard, TSuggs, BWerner
DB: EWeddle, CTillman, YBell, JMcCourty, MGilchrist, CWilliams

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 am

No MFL is still by far the best option for dynasty

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:21 am

MFL for Dynasty, Yahoo for redraft.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:53 pm

I would like people to check out Sleeper. It may not have the deep customization that MFL has, but what it lacks there it makes up for it in so many ways.

Full dynasty support
Easy to use interface
Mainstream looks and feel
FREE
Mobile friendly
Built in chat for each league

I get people like the customization that MFL offers. But its bad in so many ways. And on top of that it costs money. I do 99% of my fantasy interaction from my phone or ipad. Sleeper is so easy and it doesnt go down during the off season like the mainstream platforms do. It really is the best of both worlds and I'm extremely pleased.

Jacob
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jacob » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:25 pm

MFL is not very good when accessing from your phone. I found that you can go to Edit Links and I put all the important links that are easily available on a PC, and put those links on the top of my home page. Now when I use my phone, I don't have to go through their menu, I can just click on the link I want. Makes is so much easier, especially if you are used to yahoo or others that are mobile friendly.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:01 pm

I do everything on MFL via my phone no problem. MFL Platinum app does everything pretty seamlessly, auctions are the only thing it really struggles with but I had no issues doing it over the mobile website.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:40 pm

I will say this openly... if I only had the MFL platform as an option to play fantasy from, I probably would find a different hobby lol. Thats how much I hate their interface.