Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Darrell Henderson

Postby Jigga94 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 am

djeternal2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:07 pm

What do you expect someone who works for Gurley to say?

"Yeah, um...Todd actually has degenerative knees. So, we're trying to find ways to help him tolerate the pain."

There's a lot of writing on the wall right now:

1. Rams reduced Gurley's workload down the stretch last season.
2. They traded up to draft an RB in the 3rd round.
3. The Rams GM said that Henderson could be used in a Kamara-sort of way.

It should also be noted that the Rams can't get out of Gurley's contract until 2022. That's the earliest they can get significant savings ($10M) with a reasonable amount of dead cap.

The Rams are simply trying to prolong and maximize their investment. They can't do what they did last season anymore, because Gurley will break down.
They also re-signed Malcolm Brown. That gave me initial concern
Why? Do teams not need backup running backs any more? Did the NFL adopt a rule that you can only have 1 on the roster? As of the signing of Malcolm Brown they had John Kelly and Justin Davis on the roster behind Gurley. Sounds like a great plan for a team that has SB aspirations to not bring in more RBs in case your stud gets hurt or to give him a breather during the season.
That's obviously not my argument. I agree you can use multiple backs successfully. It's just that another team made an offer and they chose to match that for an UDFA... Why not sign anyone else for cheaper? It gave me pause and thought about Gurleys future that they wanted to shore up the backup spot with a not so expensive option...

However, now I see that I was wrong. I thought Brown signed for 3m per year... Didn't realize it was 3m over 2 years with only 2m guaranteed. I have no problem with that and he's a very cheap option.

LAR moving up to draft Henderson was more concerning anyhow, but I'm not a fan of him. I just think they all eat into Gurleys touches and you have to factor that in. Not saying Gurley isn't a top 10 RB, but there is more risk than there was a year ago

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu May 30, 2019 5:48 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 am
djeternal2 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 pm

They also re-signed Malcolm Brown. That gave me initial concern
Why? Do teams not need backup running backs any more? Did the NFL adopt a rule that you can only have 1 on the roster? As of the signing of Malcolm Brown they had John Kelly and Justin Davis on the roster behind Gurley. Sounds like a great plan for a team that has SB aspirations to not bring in more RBs in case your stud gets hurt or to give him a breather during the season.
That's obviously not my argument. I agree you can use multiple backs successfully. It's just that another team made an offer and they chose to match that for an UDFA... Why not sign anyone else for cheaper? It gave me pause and thought about Gurleys future that they wanted to shore up the backup spot with a not so expensive option...

However, now I see that I was wrong. I thought Brown signed for 3m per year... Didn't realize it was 3m over 2 years with only 2m guaranteed. I have no problem with that and he's a very cheap option.

LAR moving up to draft Henderson was more concerning anyhow, but I'm not a fan of him. I just think they all eat into Gurleys touches and you have to factor that in. Not saying Gurley isn't a top 10 RB, but there is more risk than there was a year ago
gurley will never again get the amount of touches he did the last two seasons. by the time the playoffs came round he was not at his best at all. this is when the rams want him at his best. so they're gonna make sure they don't overuse him like they did last season. henderson will get touches every game. mcvay has been looking for a rb like him since he got there.

the first year they signed dunbar but he couldn't make it out of the trainer's room. last year they couldn't get a rb they liked in the draft, ended up with kelly and he didn't contribute. this year they made sure they came out with the rb they wanted.

gurley will be 1a and henderson will be 1b. if gurley needs a breather brown will come into play.

ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Thu May 30, 2019 5:54 am

They basically drafted him to fulfill the role they were hoping Lance Dunbar could. The Rams have been looking for a change of pace back.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... planation/

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am

When it comes to injuries, I trust none other than Stephania Bell. She's been so good over the years that I rely on her heavily for all injury information. She's single-handedly saved my teams dozens of times over the years. Here's what she said about Gurley:

"...this is not something that improves and this issue goes away, this is something that the way you keep it at bay and you extend the life of his RB career is you manage him. So I think the uncertainty for me lies in how does that look..................... part of the way you protect (Gurley) is to not overuse [him]." (Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LK5VnR ... .be&t=1169)

I think we're looking at a RBBC approach, headed by Gurley.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu May 30, 2019 7:22 am

^^This is both the most sensible and realistic thing I have heard in this thread.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:36 am

Phaded wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:22 am ^^This is both the most sensible and realistic thing I have heard in this thread.
Agree.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:55 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am When it comes to injuries, I trust none other than Stephania Bell. She's been so good over the years that I rely on her heavily for all injury information. She's single-handedly saved my teams dozens of times over the years. Here's what she said about Gurley:

"...this is not something that improves and this issue goes away, this is something that the way you keep it at bay and you extend the life of his RB career is you manage him. So I think the uncertainty for me lies in how does that look..................... part of the way you protect (Gurley) is to not overuse [him]." (Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LK5VnR ... .be&t=1169)

This is pretty much what I was getting at. It’s still ambiguous enough there’s some hope there. But “this isn’t something that gets better” is just plain fact.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 30, 2019 8:57 am

saw061600 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:36 am
Phaded wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:22 am ^^This is both the most sensible and realistic thing I have heard in this thread.
Agree.
Literally tons of people have been saying this throughout this thread.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:59 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:57 am
Agree.
That doesn't make it less true lol.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 am

saw061600 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:59 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:57 am

Agree.
That doesn't make it less true lol.
...or more true. :think:

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 am When it comes to injuries, I trust none other than Stephania Bell. She's been so good over the years that I rely on her heavily for all injury information. She's single-handedly saved my teams dozens of times over the years. Here's what she said about Gurley:

Agree 100%. The question is what percentage of touches Gurley will get. I would definitely be cautious, maybe even averse to, buying Gurley in dynasty or drafting him in redraft. However, he can still be a RB1 in PPR with 60ish% of the touches in McVay's offense.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 am

I keep getting the feeling that McVay is intent on staying ahead of the curve (ala Belichick) and will reshape the offense to be different in 2019. I want to say I've heard him say as much in several offseason interviews. I feel like he watched Alvin Kamara first hand light his team up with 11 rec / 96 yds and said "I want that dynamic in my offense".

I'm not saying Henderson is anywhere near Kamara 2.0.... Kamara is beyond special. However, perhaps Henderson is going to be Kamara light with Gurley playing the Ingram role a bit more in a reshaped offense.

Ok, enough with my misguided narrative... but I could see it to be honest.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, Jaylen Warren, James Conner, Raheem Mostert
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Marquise Brown, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Aaron Donald, Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Rayshawn Jenkins, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Trey Benson FSU, RB Will Shipley Clemson
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.03, 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.13

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 am

Needalife wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 am I keep getting the feeling that McVay is intent on staying ahead of the curve (ala Belichick) and will reshape the offense to be different in 2019. I want to say I've heard him say as much in several offseason interviews. I feel like he watched Alvin Kamara first hand light his team up with 11 rec / 96 yds and said "I want that dynamic in my offense".

I'm not saying Henderson is anywhere near Kamara 2.0.... Kamara is beyond special. However, perhaps Henderson is going to be Kamara light with Gurley playing the Ingram role a bit more in a reshaped offense.

Ok, enough with my misguided narrative... but I could see it to be honest.
I think Gurley is going to be like Kamara. They are currently working on getting Gurley lighter, to be more agile and explosive and they specifically mentioned the passing game. If they are going to lighten Gurley's load, taking away carries and throwing to him more would make sense. I could see Gurley only getting around 200 carries but 80 receptions this year. I don't think it's Ingram/Kamara. They don't have an Ingram. They don't want to pound Gurley between the tackles as often, so using Henderson between the 20's a bit and Gurley still getting most of the red zone action and more catches and less carries seems the path they will take, based on what they are doing with Gurley's training program.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Thu May 30, 2019 9:58 am

Honestly, I think Gurley will be fine. His play dipped towards the end of last season, sure, but that was bound to happen with the amount of touches he had gotten in the previous years. Plus Kupp went down, which made the whole offense suffer accordingly. CJ Anderson had big games without Kupp though, but he had fresher legs and even so, Gurley had a decent game against the Cowboys in the playoffs I think.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 pm

It just blows my mind how Kurt and DelawareEagles seem to think that Gurley "slowed down at the end of the season."

The friggin wheels came off and the engine exploded!