Sony Michel vs. James Conner: Who to own long term?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sony Michel vs. James Conner: Who to own long term?

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 pm Probably because they continue to run two RB sets.
New committee style; 2 of them on the field every time.
Conner is stil going to get the ball a lot more, though. It is a great idea for throwing the defense off, and gives an added dimension to the passing game. I don't expect the usage to be drastically different. They are incorporating some 2 back sets, but aren't planning on doing it all the time. It makes perfect sense, especially with the loss of AB, to get another option in the passing game that could be a mismatch for LB's on the field at times.

In the scope of the debate by the OP, I think Damien Harris being drafted in the 3rd is a much bigger concern than the Steelers incorporating some 2 back sets.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm

LOL 2-back sets.

I swear every few years we hear about some team playing around with this in the offseason. Then the games start and they run it like twice and realize how stupid it is and how much better off they'd be just having an extra blocker out there and we never hear about it again until the next team starts screwing around with it.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 pm

I could actually feasibly see them running a good chunk 2-back set plays because they don't have much for receiving options.

Regardless; neither Michel or Conner are guys I have any interest in at their price. I think they are both prime candidates to tank in value at this time next year (and face it - it happens to multiple of the perceived higher end running backs every year).

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 pm

Less worried about 2 RB sets

More worried about his long term value. Will the Steelers franchise him??

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 pm Less worried about 2 RB sets

He still has 2 years more on his deal, so I am not really worried about that at this point. Obviously his play over those 2 years will determine what the Steelers will do at that point.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Fri May 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Conner short and long term. I don't know how you can choose against Conner with Michel's bone on bone knee condition. I love Michel, was a major truther coming out of college, but Conner has been better all around lately, and I don't see that changing. I could see Conner being in the league in a few years as a stud, Michel I truly worry about that knee.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:14 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 pm Less worried about 2 RB sets

He still has 2 years more on his deal, so I am not really worried about that at this point. Obviously his play over those 2 years will determine what the Steelers will do at that point.
True. Keep thinking he's going into the last year

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sun May 26, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't understand why no one is talking about Tom Brady's age. He could be done any year now, and then that whole offense tanks with it.

Conner has a younger QB, and catches way more passes. Worried about Samuel? As if James White doesn't exist?

Also... Why do people keep doubting James Conner's talent? This dude absolutely balled out before a high ankle sprain derailed his season. Busting tackles, making plays after the catch... Benny Snell is no threat at all.

I don't love either of these guys long term, but I'd take Conner over Michel in startup by at least a couple of rounds.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 pm

If the Patriots invested so much in Michel I'm sure they did their homework. On draft pedigree I'll take Michel and agree with the comment that he's a nice guy low after the draft. I do like connor as well though
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 am

I don't disagree with the above that Connor is talented and all... But saying Ben is young relative to Brady is not a very wise statement. Ben's body has been through so many injuries I'm surprised he is still playing. He very likely could retire the same year Brady does...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 27, 2019 8:25 am

I think the drafting of Harris tells a lot. Michel already missed time twice in his rookie year with knee issues, and has a degenerative knee issue. Much like people are talking about Gurley's work load being managed, it seems that Harris at his size, skill and draft position may get significant touches, and Sony although probably still the leader in touches, will be the lead part in a 3 man committee with White still taking the majority of passing down snaps. Matt Waldman (who is by no means gospel, however) stated he believed Conner was a day 2 pick on talent had he not had the health concerns coming out of college. Draft pedigree is really not a huge issue to me at this point, as there is enough evidence that both players can play at a high level, but to me the probable usage and injury concerns would make me take Conner.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Mon May 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Why did the Pats take a RB in the first round if he's not going to last more than two years?
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon May 27, 2019 1:45 pm

smallxl wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:33 pm Why did the Pats take a RB in the first round if he's not going to last more than two years?
To maximize the win now window with Tom Brady