Most Incorrect Player Evaluations / Write-Ups

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Most Incorrect Player Evaluations / Write-Ups

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:51 pm

I was wrong on T Hill, thought even after a year in the league he was just a gadget guy. Traded him after he had a few drops in a preseason game, regretted it a lot until recently.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:55 pm

I recently saw an article on a competing website, let’s just call it “Dynasty for nerds”. It was advocating A. Isabella as the 1.01 in this class. And not just based on talent, the author actually argued that you should select Isabella with the 1.01 in dynasty rookie drafts. Even argues against the point of trading back and getting him, saying something along the lines of “I’d rather get my guy at 1.01 than trade back and get sniped”.
I thought the article, or the strategy it was emphasizing to be very bad advice, and don’t see any merit behind it other than the author trying to be edgy or something. Borderline dangerous read for dynasty newbies, and I feel badly for anyone that may listen to this guy’s advice.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:55 pm I recently saw an article on a competing website, let’s just call it “Dynasty for nerds”. It was advocating A. Isabella as the 1.01 in this class. And not just based on talent, the author actually argued that you should select Isabella with the 1.01 in dynasty rookie drafts. Even argues against the point of trading back and getting him, saying something along the lines of “I’d rather get my guy at 1.01 than trade back and get sniped”.
I thought the article, or the strategy it was emphasizing to be very bad advice, and don’t see any merit behind it other than the author trying to be edgy or something. Borderline dangerous read for dynasty newbies, and I feel badly for anyone that may listen to this guy’s advice.
Getting off topic quickly but that site also still advocates "Zero RBs" which just doesnt work in the landscape of todays Fantasy. I know it was a trend a few years ago but now you cant win that way. That advocacy did me in for that site. Im only on this now.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:55 pm I recently saw an article on a competing website, let’s just call it “Dynasty for nerds”. It was advocating A. Isabella as the 1.01 in this class. And not just based on talent, the author actually argued that you should select Isabella with the 1.01 in dynasty rookie drafts. Even argues against the point of trading back and getting him, saying something along the lines of “I’d rather get my guy at 1.01 than trade back and get sniped”.
Getting off topic quickly but that site also still advocates "Zero RBs" which just doesnt work in the landscape of todays Fantasy. I know it was a trend a few years ago but now you cant win that way. That advocacy did me in for that site. Im only on this now.
C’mon man, you think Rotoviz would argue against trading back? They’re produce a lot of quality stuff. He’s clearly talking about a different site run by much dumber people.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm

I was wrong about Le'Veon Bell. His college tape bored the heck out of me. He had no burst. He only seemed to get what was blocked for him. I determined that he was just a replacement level RB drafted to a great situation and would be finished in a couple of years. And his first year in the NFL did nothing to change that opinion.

As it turned out, he was just showing patience behind his blockers. So much patience that it took him until his second year to break loose and he never looked back. It seems it's possible to be a better NFL RB than a college RB. I guess I leaned that a guy can learn to be a great RB in the NFL. And now, after a brief hiatus, he will be taking his show to Broadway; for whom the bell tolls.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Hottoddies wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm I was wrong about Le'Veon Bell. His college tape bored the heck out of me. He had no burst. He only seemed to get what was blocked for him. I determined that he was just a replacement level RB drafted to a great situation and would be finished in a couple of years. And his first year in the NFL did nothing to change that opinion.

As it turned out, he was just showing patience behind his blockers. So much patience that it took him until his second year to break loose and he never looked back. It seems it's possible to be a better NFL RB than a college RB. I guess I leaned that a guy can learn to be a great RB in the NFL. And now, after a brief hiatus, he will be taking his show to Broadway; for whom the bell tolls.
I still stand by the fact that Bell benefitted significantly from losing so much weight once he got in the league. He moved so much better afterwards. I still don't think that the heavier college Bell would be very successful in the NFL.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 23, 2019 9:02 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm
Hottoddies wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm I was wrong about Le'Veon Bell. His college tape bored the heck out of me. He had no burst. He only seemed to get what was blocked for him. I determined that he was just a replacement level RB drafted to a great situation and would be finished in a couple of years. And his first year in the NFL did nothing to change that opinion.

I still stand by the fact that Bell benefitted significantly from losing so much weight once he got in the league. He moved so much better afterwards. I still don't think that the heavier college Bell would be very successful in the NFL.
He lost it after year 1, I believe. After a pedestrian rookie year, he cut weight. I put him as my dynasty RB1 as soon as he did that. The next year he looked like a different player.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Hmmm? Maybe Rashaad Penny should give that a try?
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 am

I was wrong about CMC, at least to the extent that we can judge someone to be a hit or a bust after two seasons. I thought he was too small to handle a bellcow workload, and if I’m being completely honest, I thought a lot of his hype was driven primarily by the novelty of him being a white kid playing a position that has been dominated by black guys for the past 50-60 years. Derp.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

lanemitchell96
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lanemitchell96 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 am

After reading some responses, I'll have to agree that my original post was based on subjective details and was an incorrect evaluation of the scouting reports.

Going with the flow of this thread though, one guy I was completely wrong on was Justin Blackmon. Loved him coming out. Also RGIII. I cashed in on his rookie season in redraft (didn't play dynasty back then) but then got burnt after that. One I was right on (so far) was Todd Gurley. I watched a few of his high school games when I was in middle school and felt like he was going to be a star.
Twitter: @LaneMitchell96
FF4L

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri May 24, 2019 7:05 am

One "expert" that I used to find myself constantly shaking my head at in disagreement is The Nephew, Greg Cosell. He genuinely doesn't seem to understand the way the league has changed, consistently advocating in favor of running back value, sometimes to embarrassing degrees (TRich over Luck stands out).

His QB valuation also seems to be "which guy looks the most like Johnny Unitas", to the point of hilariously, publically touting Zach Mettenberger over Jameis Winston., or saying Ryan Mallett had the best NFL skill set in a draft that included Cam Newton and Andy Dalton.

I've noticed that after years of being publically, hilariously wrong, it seems like he's stayed away from doing any type of rankings or saying that one prospect is better than another. His write-ups seem mostly fine. Nonetheless, he's a homeless man's Matt Waldman who's more famous because his uncle was a revered NFL broadcaster.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am

M-Dub wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 am I was wrong about CMC, at least to the extent that we can judge someone to be a hit or a bust after two seasons. I thought he was too small to handle a bellcow workload, and if I’m being completely honest, I thought a lot of his hype was driven primarily by the novelty of him being a white kid playing a position that has been dominated by black guys for the past 50-60 years. Derp.
I mean you werent totally wrong here. Part of his hype (even if its a very small amount) was this and we are fooling ourselves if we dont see that. Not trying to get into a race thing here (i am a white guy) but i wouldnt say this is totally off base. Mcaffery is still a phenomenal player in every way but part of the hype was this. You CAN be a great player AND have this kind of hype for these kinds of reasons

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri May 24, 2019 8:03 pm

- "when was the last time a [insert position] from [insert school] was ever [good/bad]?"
- "when was the last time a [insert position] drafted by the [insert team] was ever [good/bad]?"
- anything written about Parris Campbell

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am
M-Dub wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 am I was wrong about CMC, at least to the extent that we can judge someone to be a hit or a bust after two seasons. I thought he was too small to handle a bellcow workload, and if I’m being completely honest, I thought a lot of his hype was driven primarily by the novelty of him being a white kid playing a position that has been dominated by black guys for the past 50-60 years. Derp.
I mean you werent totally wrong here. Part of his hype (even if its a very small amount) was this and we are fooling ourselves if we dont see that. Not trying to get into a race thing here (i am a white guy) but i wouldnt say this is totally off base. Mcaffery is still a phenomenal player in every way but part of the hype was this. You CAN be a great player AND have this kind of hype for these kinds of reasons
Fair enough, but I think it worked in reverse too. I was probably guilty (and I’m not alone here, I assume) of downgrading him just because he’s white and we simply haven’t seen a white guy have sustained success at the RB position since fantasy football became a thing. (And I’m a white guy too, if it matters. Haha.) It’s probably safe to say that his race was at least somewhat of a factor in most people’s evaluations of him, whether you were a doubter or a believer.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:03 pm - "when was the last time a [insert position] from [insert school] was ever [good/bad]?"
- "when was the last time a [insert position] drafted by the [insert team] was ever [good/bad]?"
- anything written about Parris Campbell
Ugh yeah here’s some pet peeves of mine. That two players a decade apart played the same position at the same school means absolutely zero.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st