Most Incorrect Player Evaluations / Write-Ups

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lanemitchell96
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Most Incorrect Player Evaluations / Write-Ups

Postby lanemitchell96 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am

So I came across a CBS write-up on David Montgomery the other day (link below) that he would be hard pressed to pass Mike Davis on the depth chart and said elusiveness is his biggest problem, yet he profiles as one of the most elusive backs in recent memory based on the metrics. Just because he does not have break away speed does not mean he is not elusive.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/p ... montgomery

Also, there are a ton of articles (links below) that describe Montgomery's elusiveness..

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... -matt-nagy

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... iowa-state

Here are a few more from this years rookie class:

Haskins is a mobile QB: https://twitter.com/DHeff11/status/1093914775086600192

DK Metcalf has loose hips and makes quick breaks (Strengths): https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dekaylin- ... 746f1b94aa

Will Grier has low throwing velocity (Weaknesses): https://www.nfl.com/prospects/will-grie ... ae73b00f0f

Reading this these made me wonder how many terrible player evaluations are out there. What are some of the ones you have run into?
Twitter: @LaneMitchell96
FF4L

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Most Incorrect Player Evaluations / Write-Ups

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 am

lanemitchell96 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am Reading this these made me wonder how many terrible player evaluations are out there. What are some of the ones you have run into?
mine, mostly.

lanemitchell96
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lanemitchell96 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:50 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 am
lanemitchell96 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am Reading this these made me wonder how many terrible player evaluations are out there. What are some of the ones you have run into?
mine, mostly.
Haha me too. We're all wrong a ton :lol: . Mostly looking for articles/tweets/scouting reports with glaring errors that show they did not look at any numbers, film, or metrics at all
Twitter: @LaneMitchell96
FF4L

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am

It’s really how one reads a scouting report.

DK as an example does have loose hips and is in fact very good out of his breaks on the routes he runs. People read into his 3 cone which is actually quite different than making a cut within a route.

His scouting report is actually pretty accurate. Listing his report as inaccurate is well, inaccurate.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 am

It says Davis will be hard to knock out of the running back rotation, not that he will be hard to pass on the depth chart. That means 2 different things. To me he's saying it will be hard to get a Bell Cow type workload as Davis will still be used (as will Cohen).
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Taking this a step further, I typically echo false assessments of players prior to my drafts in the hopes that it drives certain players to where my picks are at. I can't give examples at this point as my DLF Premuim League draft is coming up in about a week, but

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm Taking this a step further, I typically echo false assessments of players prior to my drafts in the hopes that it drives certain players to where my picks are at. I can't give examples at this point as my DLF Premuim League draft is coming up in about a week, but
But in posting this...for your league mates to see...are you now lying about being misleading in an attempt to be misleading...? Liars lying about lying...this entire forum is not to be trusted!! :D

Rasorin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rasorin » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm

Headline today said, “Aaron Rogers Expects to Learn Offense.”

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 pm

Rasorin wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm Headline today said, “Aaron Rogers Expects to Learn Offense.”
:lol:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 pm

I thought he already learned how to get offended according to that article about him being thin-skinned? :eh:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gameaholica » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 am

Actually remember reading N'keal Harry would have issues in the NFL getting off the line when getting jammed. Yet see him ranked as the 1.1 here. Not sure if the early evaluations were off, or if this speaks to the talent of this draft.
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 am

Ice wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am It’s really how one reads a scouting report.

DK as an example does have loose hips and is in fact very good out of his breaks on the routes he runs. People read into his 3 cone which is actually quite different than making a cut within a route.

His scouting report is actually pretty accurate. Listing his report as inaccurate is well, inaccurate.
This is a great example of why data driven analysis is important. Here we have Socrates arguing over a completely undefined term “loose hips.” It only means whatever the person in question wants it to mean, hence why people can disagree over whether or not a player has “loose hips.” It doesn’t help anybody. I think DK has been under appreciated because of his agility testing, but whether or not some scout thinks he has “loose hips” is completely irrelevant. This whole post is the scouting room scene in Moneyball come to life.

Meanwhile, the idea that N’Keal Harry accounted for over 20% of his team’s receiving production during his age 18 season isn’t as easily disputed and meaningfully correlates with success.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Thu May 23, 2019 9:07 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 am
Ice wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:22 am It’s really how one reads a scouting report.

This is a great example of why data driven analysis is important. Here we have Socrates arguing over a completely undefined term “loose hips.” It only means whatever the person in question wants it to mean, hence why people can disagree over whether or not a player has “loose hips.” It doesn’t help anybody. I think DK has been under appreciated because of his agility testing, but whether or not some scout thinks he has “loose hips” is completely irrelevant. This whole post is the scouting room scene in Moneyball come to life.

Meanwhile, the idea that N’Keal Harry accounted for over 20% of his team’s receiving production during his age 18 season isn’t as easily disputed and meaningfully correlates with success.

This is why I enjoy these forums.

Ice offers so much information and knowledge that I don't have as far as scouting and years of knowledge. What he looks for and sees are things I don't have time for or even understand.

But having OCR counter those arguements with analytic/metric data is awesome as well. So much information on these forums and I appreciate everyone that contributes, regardless of the way they go about it.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 pm

I really dont think we should say anything is "incorrect" about how a rookie will perform when they are on an NFL field since we havent seen it yet. So unfortunately im not sure i even agree with the premise of this thread. You cant say anything about Montgomery is correct or incorrect yet, and you most definitely cant say that when it comes to subjective tape of a guy since you may see something as good that another person sees as bad. Now what would make this interesting is if we all started fessing up to players we got totally wrong since we all know it happens. I want to start hearing from the people who thought Michael Thomas was gonna suck in this league and their evaluations on him as an example. Ive been wrong on so many people i cant even count, id venture to say most around here are wrong more often than they are right.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 pm I really dont think we should say anything is "incorrect" about how a rookie will perform when they are on an NFL field since we havent seen it yet. So unfortunately im not sure i even agree with the premise of this thread. You cant say anything about Montgomery is correct or incorrect yet, and you most definitely cant say that when it comes to subjective tape of a guy since you may see something as good that another person sees as bad. Now what would make this interesting is if we all started fessing up to players we got totally wrong since we all know it happens. I want to start hearing from the people who thought Michael Thomas was gonna suck in this league and their evaluations on him as an example. Ive been wrong on so many people i cant even count, id venture to say most around here are wrong more often than they are right.
I was wrong on Treadwell. I thought he could overcome his lack of athleticism. Nope.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick