Mike Evans - The Dislike Is Real for this Perennial WR1 - Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Would Mike Evans be a top pick in a draft nowadays?

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am

Lumps wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am 1. I can't believe how many couldn't follow the question you were asking.
2. I think this is a backwards way of clinging on to the fantasy community's notion that Butler was 1.1 in rookie drafts. You're basically taking the stance of: Butler at 1.1 was right, so would the NFL not draft Evans so highly now? Because clearly that's why Butler didn't go in the first round.
Agree completely, on both counts.

Regardless of draft position, Mike Evans was a markedly better draft pick than Hakeem Butler. It’s hard to say whether or not he would have gone in the top 7 in this draft, but I’d bet he would’ve gone in a similar range, like Buffalo at 9 or GB at 12.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu May 16, 2019 11:42 am

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am
Not sure if he would have been 1st WR taken but I highly doubt it.

He didn’t test all that great compared to multiple WR’s in this draft. His tape was decent but routes were not crisp. Vertical was average as were most of his numbers.

Hind sight is 20 / 20 but no team would have known that at the time.

Obviously, he is elite today but outside of his size he wasn’t special compared to many in this class.

He did benefit from a very good college QB much like a M. Brown so teams did know he had a solid chance to develop.

Of course all those teams could use an Evans today but they also needed defense front line help which is a more needed position with a lower bust factor.

This draft was extremely strong up front and today GM’s will reach on a QB but for the most part they want impact starters at the top of the draft.

Today he may have gone in the 2nd round. Doesn’t really matter as teams expect starters in the first 3 rounds which are all high picks through the eyes of NFLGM’s.
This explains a lot and makes sense with your DK love. Evans still tested in the 71st percentile with his vertical at 37", which is fantastic considering his size. Not sure why you thought he was just average there.

If your main focus and eval is on what these guys do at the underwear Olympics, I'm guessing you loved the last few Raiders drafts under Al Davis. How did those turn out again? Give me the guy that dominated the best college football conference on the planet at a young age over the combine warrior who didn't exactly produce as much.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am
Lumps wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am 1. I can't believe how many couldn't follow the question you were asking.
2. I think this is a backwards way of clinging on to the fantasy community's notion that Butler was 1.1 in rookie drafts. You're basically taking the stance of: Butler at 1.1 was right, so would the NFL not draft Evans so highly now? Because clearly that's why Butler didn't go in the first round.

Regardless of draft position, Mike Evans was a markedly better draft pick than Hakeem Butler. It’s hard to say whether or not he would have gone in the top 7 in this draft, but I’d bet he would’ve gone in a similar range, like Buffalo at 9 or GB at 12.
Didn't really read the OP's posts as an either or scenario between Butler or Evans based on some notion from the fantasy community. I didn't even rate Butler in my top 12 WR's this class. Evans had a few minor issues with route running in college, which is common for bigger WR's in college given what is asked from them, but he was always a natural pass catcher where as Butler isn't.

I read it as if he would be a top 7 pick this specific class in today's environment.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am

Didn't really read the OP's posts as an either or scenario between Butler or Evans based on some notion from the fantasy community. I didn't even rate Butler in my top 12 WR's this class. Evans had a few minor issues with route running in college, which is common for bigger WR's in college given what is asked from them, but he was always a natural pass catcher where as Butler isn't.

I read it as if he would be a top 7 pick this specific class in today's environment.
Exactly, I wasn’t trying to knock Evans, and I definitely wasn’t trying to prop up Butler as a secret stud, it just struck me as interesting that they were taken 3 rounds apart, as they have extremely similar athletic measurables, and Butler did have a very productive final year that was very similar to Evans’ final year.

And on tape, I do see some similarities with their strengths & flaws. But again, I’m no scout.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am Didn't really read the OP's posts as an either or scenario between Butler or Evans based on some notion from the fantasy community. I didn't even rate Butler in my top 12 WR's this class. Evans had a few minor issues with route running in college, which is common for bigger WR's in college given what is asked from them, but he was always a natural pass catcher where as Butler isn't.

I didn't read it as either or..... either :shifty: .

The logic is thus:

Evans went 7th overall.
Butler went in the 4th round.
Evans and Butler have similar measurables and numbers in their final season.
Thus, the NFL wouldn't like Evans now as they did.

This is some 1984 level mental gymnastics when compared to the alternative..... the NFL didn't like Butler as they did with Evans.
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 pmExactly, I wasn’t trying to knock Evans, and I definitely wasn’t trying to prop up Butler as a secret stud, it just struck me as interesting that they were taken 3 rounds apart, as they have extremely similar athletic measurables, and Butler did have a very productive final year that was very similar to Evans’ final year.

And on tape, I do see some similarities with their strengths & flaws. But again, I’m no scout.
This is what I meant with my comment. However, I was thinking that Mizelle showed people putting Butler #1. Even if not that high, still high.

http://mizelle.net/mfl/2019/rookies/ran ... id=ppr_pre

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 pm
Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am

Exactly, I wasn’t trying to knock Evans, and I definitely wasn’t trying to prop up Butler as a secret stud, it just struck me as interesting that they were taken 3 rounds apart, as they have extremely similar athletic measurables, and Butler did have a very productive final year that was very similar to Evans’ final year.

Butler didn't do much until he was 22. Evans did it at 19 and 20 in a much better conference. I don't understand why that is so hard to grasp that he would go 3 rounds before Butler.

Butler ironically turns 23 today btw.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Haven't read all of the responses, but here are my thoughts.

There is not a push in the NFL that devalues receiver prospects. There just haven't been any good prospects in recent years. We saw the same thing at RB.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 16, 2019 1:58 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm Haven't read all of the responses, but here are my thoughts.

There is not a push in the NFL that devalues receiver prospects. There just haven't been any good prospects in recent years. We saw the same thing at RB.
Not so sure I buy this; Top 15 WR's last year in fantasy which actually correlates to WR's. Below are the 2018 top 15 Ranked WR's ppr and the round selected by NFL teams.

Only 4 selected in round 1. Looks like round 4 is dreadful but round 1 isn't magic and good WR's can be had later. Evans was 9th BTW.

#1 Round 2
#2 Round 6
#3 Round 2
#4 Round 1
#5 Undrafted
#6 Round 5
#7 Round 1
#8 Round 2
#9 Round 1
#10 Round 2
#11 Round 3
#12 Round 5
#13 Round 1
#14 Round 3
#15 Round 2

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am Not sure if he would have been 1st WR taken but I highly doubt it.

He didn’t test all that great compared to multiple WR’s in this draft. His tape was decent but routes were not crisp. Vertical was average as were most of his numbers.

Obviously, he is elite today but outside of his size he wasn’t special compared to many in this class.
Wait, what?

Evans was the #7 pick in a draft. Not only that, but he was the 2nd WR selected in what's going to go down as one of the best WR classes ever. Evans was expected to be really, really good and he is really, really good. There's no hindsight here. He was a freak of nature and absolutely dominated college. He was a man amongst boys and has continued dominating in the NFL.

Mike Evans would've easily been the first WR off the board today. He goes Top 10 without a doubt and would've been the 1.01 in rookie drafts by a country mile.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:58 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm Haven't read all of the responses, but here are my thoughts.

Not so sure I buy this; Top 15 WR's last year in fantasy which actually correlates to WR's. Below are the 2018 top 15 Ranked WR's ppr and the round selected by NFL teams.

Only 4 selected in round 1. Looks like round 4 is dreadful but round 1 isn't magic and good WR's can be had later. Evans was 9th BTW.

#1 Round 2
#2 Round 6
#3 Round 2
#4 Round 1
#5 Undrafted
#6 Round 5
#7 Round 1
#8 Round 2
#9 Round 1
#10 Round 2
#11 Round 3
#12 Round 5
#13 Round 1
#14 Round 3
#15 Round 2
I'm not even sure what the point you're trying to make is and I suspect we are talking about two different things.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 pm Exactly, I wasn’t trying to knock Evans, and I definitely wasn’t trying to prop up Butler as a secret stud, it just struck me as interesting that they were taken 3 rounds apart, as they have extremely similar athletic measurables, and Butler did have a very productive final year that was very similar to Evans’ final year.

Nothing you said is incorrect.

However, there's a HUGE difference between a 19-year-old Mike Evans putting up 82/1105/5 as a RS Freshman in the Big 12 and a 22-year-old Hakeem Butler putting up 60/1318/9 as a RS Junior in the Big 12. 22-year-old Mike Evans was putting up a 1200 yard season in the NFL. It would be a shock if Hakeem Butler (who turned 23 today) puts up a 1000 yard season anytime soon.

Butler is NOT Evans. He isn't anything close to him. Evans is one of 3 WR's who's started his career with 5 straight 1000 yard seasons. AJ Green and Randy Moss are the other. Evans was an elite prospect, became an elite WR and now is on the trajectory to be an NFL HOF'er.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm
Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am Not sure if he would have been 1st WR taken but I highly doubt it.

Wait, what?

Evans was the #7 pick in a draft. Not only that, but he was the 2nd WR selected in what's going to go down as one of the best WR classes ever. Evans was expected to be really, really good and he is really, really good. There's no hindsight here. He was a freak of nature and absolutely dominated college. He was a man amongst boys and has continued dominating in the NFL.

Mike Evans would've easily been the first WR off the board today. He goes Top 10 without a doubt and would've been the 1.01 in rookie drafts by a country mile.
Hind sight is always 20/20 but country mile....... His scouting reports were decent but they were not special.

It may go down in History but the 2nd round has more WR's in that draft that made the pro bowl. It is pure conjecture thinking he would go that high today given the The over all talent in this draft. Easy to say that but the game is different and the needs to day are different. Talent needs cycle.

Easy to make claims but his scouting reports were pretty average. His combine was very average and he didn't finish in the upper tier in any category. In fact by today's standards he probably would have been blasted for his combine.

That was a strong draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mik ... id=2543468

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu May 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Wait, what?

Hind sight is always 20/20 but country mile....... His scouting reports were decent but they were not special.

It may go down in History but the 2nd round has more WR's in that draft that made the pro bowl. It is pure conjecture thinking he would go that high today given the The over all talent in this draft. Easy to say that but the game is different and the needs to day are different. Talent needs cycle.

Easy to make claims but his scouting reports were pretty average. His combine was very average and he didn't finish in the upper tier in any category. In fact by today's standards he probably would have been blasted for his combine.

That was a strong draft.

I'm really not sure what point is being made here?

People had been waiting on Watkins to come out since his freshman year. Cooks went for 1,600 yards at Oregon State. ODB's projection. Benjamin before he ate all the Big Macs.

And yet... Evans went right after Watkins. I really don't know what to make of regarding the notions in this thread that Evans wasn't highly touted coming out. He very much was and that is why a premium pick went to secure him. I'm truly baffled at this thread altogether.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm Hind sight is always 20/20 but country mile....... His scouting reports were decent but they were not special.

That was a strong draft.

I'm really confused as to what you're talking about. Evans dominated in college. He was drafted in the Top 7 of a draft, 3 spots behind a WR who people believed was a generational WR. Since then, Evans has dominated the NFL, as he did in college, and is now on a HOF trajectory.

There is no hindsight here. He was considered a lot more than just a "decent" prospect and had far from an "average" combine.

If Evans was in this class, he goes Top 10 and he would be the unanimous 1.01 in rookie drafts.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Seriously, in what world was Evans not a top prospect? That's nonsense.