Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Re: Terry McLaurin

Postby Chwf3rd » Mon May 06, 2019 9:40 am

Lord_Varys wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:41 pm
Lord_Varys wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 pm

He had a running back for a quarterback for 3 years. He produced at Ohio State - led the team in receiving touchdowns in the last two years, and has the highest passer rating when targeted of any WR in this entire NFL draft. It was a crowded WR room when Haskins took over. I don't hold the lack of cumulative stats against him at all.

The age is a real thing tho. Jarvis Landry is only 2 years older and seems he's been around forever. You gotta expect only 8 really good years at most from this guy. Gotta factor that in.

I believe McLaurin has all the ability to be Washington's WR1 and a fantasy wr2 though. Speed deep, contested catches, YAC, hands, route running... Dude does it all.
He was 4th on the team in receptions and 3rd in yardage this year. Pretty concerning for me, especially when considering he played the season at 24 years old. I still love his film so I'd take him mid/late 3rd but those concerns are what's keeping him out of the 3rd for me.
Again... you gotta look at the context. "College Production" as a predictor of NFL Success is tried and true for a good reason, but it's not everything, not by a long shot.

The context: They used other guys a lot on short throws in a west coast style, and used McLaurin primarily as a deep threat. But any time short or intermediate that he got chances, he crushed them. You just need to watch his film to understand what he can do and how his game will translate into the pros.

I get it if you have rules that say to pass on guys who don't check the 'College Production' box.... I just think you'll miss out on really good players if you take that approach, McLaurin being one.
I did watch his film and gave my analysis of it above. Really quick and fluid out of his breaks, twitchy athlete with speed to threaten deep, but struggles with any kind of physicality during his routes. I like him as a prospect. This WR class is just really deep and therefore his red flags keep him out of the 2nd round for me.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 am

He just went undrafted in my 12tm PPR league (3 Rounds)
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Diggs, Olave, Aiyuk, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1st, 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
(Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF)
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert
WR: Chase, Kupp, Aiyuk, Nico, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: none

Team 3:
12tm PPR SuperFlex
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4th, 4th

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 am

Yeah from the rookie drafts I have seen, like with many guys, his price point is all over the map. Usually if a guy is a believer he'll take him in the mid-late 2nd, but his overage average is more of a late 3rd, while I have seen him go as far back as a late 4th early 5th.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 am Yeah from the rookie drafts I have seen, like with many guys, his price point is all over the map. Usually if a guy is a believer he'll take him in the mid-late 2nd, but his overage average is more of a late 3rd, while I have seen him go as far back as a late 4th early 5th.
He just went 3.1 in my money dynasty league. QB connection matters, he has a legit shot.

I don't put too much emphasis on college production at WR for certain teams. The better and more run heavy teams with balance and talent all over their line ups has to be taken into account. LSU with Odell and Landry as an example comes to mind. Ohio State is quite similar with 2 WR's drafted and third signed by the Texans. This team had 8 drafted players and another that signed. (5 in the top 76 and 7 of 9 on offense.)

He was the 13th WR drafted of the 15 selected in this draft. The draft is only 3 rounds for 12 teams. The vet/rookie draft continues August 1st. Harmon has not been selected yet. Interestingly, Ridley hasn't either. I am trying to move into 4.1 for Ridley.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Fri May 17, 2019 3:16 pm

I selected him at 4.1 and know there was another owner beside myself that wanted him. He tried to pull him away from me but at that point in the draft just loved McLaurin there and could not pass him up. I know he really wanted him because I had the 4.2 and he was not interested in making the trade with that selection. He is a two-time captain at Ohio State speaks very well graduated early from Ohio State. I'm from Columbus and have seen this kid mature to what you are seeing today. 4.3 speed good out of his breaks reminds me of Brandon Cooks the way he catches the ball and runs after the catch. Like to see him use his hands more but besides that, not a whole lot too not like.

He is a good value late third early fourth round.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 am

osubuckeyeman wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:16 pm I selected him at 4.1

[. . .]

He is a good value late third early fourth round.
Couldn’t agree more. After having Haskins “fall” to me at 1.05 (SF), I was pleased to be able to take McLaurin at the 4.01 spot as well.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

MNnoles
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MNnoles » Sun May 19, 2019 7:00 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:01 pm
HOWEVER, dude is 24 years old and never produced at Ohio St. It's hard to overlook those red flags
He had a running back for a quarterback for 3 years. He produced at Ohio State - led the team in receiving touchdowns in the last two years, and has the highest passer rating when targeted of any WR in this entire NFL draft. It was a crowded WR room when Haskins took over. I don't hold the lack of cumulative stats against him at all.

The age is a real thing tho. Jarvis Landry is only 2 years older and seems he's been around forever. You gotta expect only 8 really good years at most from this guy. Gotta factor that in.

I believe McLaurin has all the ability to be Washington's WR1 and a fantasy wr2 though. Speed deep, contested catches, YAC, hands, route running... Dude does it all.
He was 4th on the team in receptions and 3rd in yardage this year. Pretty concerning for me, especially when considering he played the season at 24 years old. I still love his film so I'd take him mid/late 3rd but those concerns are what's keeping him out of the 3rd for me.
I might be mistaken but it looks like he turned 23 on April 15th 2019. So he played last season as a 22 year old. Not a 24 year old.
12 Team PPR
QB- J. Winston, B. Mayfield
RB- S. Barkley, D.Cook, J.Mixon, Du.Johnson, J.Samuels,
WR- D.Hopkins, M.Evans, T.McLaurin, DJ Moore, L.Fitz, AJ Brown, D.Slayton, JJAW, A.Callaway, A. Isabella, A.Lazard
TE- E.Engram, O.Howard, D.Knox

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:19 am

MNnoles wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:00 am

I might be mistaken but it looks like he turned 23 on April 15th 2019. So he played last season as a 22 year old. Not a 24 year old.
You are correct... I like him in Washington. I am a buyer..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:27 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... d-watch-it

Video of McLaurin making an impressive catch in mini-camp.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:49 pm
slaughterrt wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:18 pm I mean really who is standing in his way?

Doctson?
Richardson?
Mr Irrelevant?
Harmon?

This WR group is wide open and I don’t see any reason McLaurin can’t carve out a role if he is even halfway decent. Here’s hoping, as I drafted him at 3.15 in a superflex.
It’s a draft capital problem ... he could outperform all other Redskin WRs, but if he doesn’t outperform them to basically a Pro Bowl level, then the Skins are likely to add a true WR1 next year.
Draft capital really doesn't matter for WRs. The better WR's will find their way onto the field more often than not. There are plenty of 6th, 7th round picks and UDFA's that stick on rosters if they prove their worth. QBs as well... it's mostly RBs where you're just waiting for the shoe to fall off if they're performing well without draft capital behind them.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm Draft capital really doesn't matter for WRs.
I don't dismiss Day 3s and undrafted out of hand, but draft capital always matters, of course. Day 3s and undrafteds have to hit the league running or get stuck in a 'depth piece' perception even if their play when they do get snaps doesn't deserve it. Needless to say, Day 1s and early-mid Day 2s generally benefit from expedited opportunity, a longer grace period for development, and preferential treatment by the coaching staff and front-office.

As for McLaurin, next year's draft appears to be deep with top end WR talent. Skins are VERY LIKELY to select a blue-chipper from that prospect pool early, even if this year's depth-chart overachieves. There's a lot of pressure to support Haskins' development with a capable pass-catching corps, and presently Wash's is among the league's weakest on paper. Synder is always eager to splash with flashy free-agents and draft prospects.
QBs as well... it's mostly RBs where you're just waiting for the shoe to fall off if they're performing well without draft capital behind them.
The rate at which QBs become career journeyman and clipboard holders sharply rises after Day 1 selections, and all RBs -- regardless of how highly drafted -- face shorter 'prove it' development windows than the other skill-positions.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 pm
IZigUZag wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm Draft capital really doesn't matter for WRs.
Nonsense. I don't dismiss Day 3s and undrafted out of hand, but draft capital always matters. Day 3s and undrafted have to hit the league running or they're drastically more likely to wash out or get stuck in a 'depth piece' perception even if their play when they do get snaps doesn't deserve it. Needless to say, Day 1s and early-mid Day 2s generally benefit from expedited opportunity, a longer grace period for development, and preferential treatment by the coaching staff and front-office.

As for McLaurin, next year's draft appears to be deep with top end WR talent. Skins are VERY LIKELY to select a blue-chipper from that prospect pool early, even if this year's depth-chart overachieves.
QBs as well... it's mostly RBs where you're just waiting for the shoe to fall off if they're performing well without draft capital behind them.
The rate at which QBs become franchise starters drops off steeply after round 1 selections, and all RBs -- regardless of how highly drafted -- face shorter 'prove it' development windows than the other skill-positions.
Of course it matters to a certain degree, but productive receivers will maintain starting roles regardless of their draft capital. I believe you're conflating draft capital with ability, higher drafted WRs are more likely to be better players. Late round WRs like Antonio Brown, and Adam Thielen did not hit the ground running... But their abilities were so apparent in practice that they demanded playing time.

Do you think ARZ is going to start Isabella or Butler over Keesean Johnson if he beats them out this preseason? I don't. What about J'mon Moore vs MVS and EQSB last season? The lower drafted WR's beat out higher drafted ones all the time in the nfl... draft capital doesn't mean the same thing at WR (where there is a screaming need for WRs) vs RBs (where there are more quality RBs than there are starting spots in the NFL).

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:27 am https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... d-watch-it

Video of McLaurin making an impressive catch in mini-camp.
I love it!!!
I had a feeling this thread would pop back up after the Casserly praise. I've got high hopes for the McLaurin/Haskins connection.
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Week 1, 5 rec over 100 and a TD... Legit?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:27 pm Week 1, 5 rec over 100 and a TD... Legit?
Deep threat that caught some deep balls until proven otherwise.

It is an encouraging start to his career, though.