Sorting out the 49ers backfield - and this might be your last chance to buy this guy cheap..

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Sorting out the 49ers backfield - and this might be your last chance to buy this guy cheap..

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Maybe Breida (or Duke) will soon have the opportunity to take Ron Jones’ opportunity?

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Sorting out the 49ers backfield - and this might be your last chance to buy this guy cheap..

Postby Gtdano_14 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 pm Maybe Breida (or Duke) will soon have the opportunity to take Ron Jones’ opportunity?
Fingers crossed for Duke!
16 Team PPR 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 TE - 1 Flex
QB- R.Wilson, B. Mayfield
RB- D. Cook, Zeke, J. Jacobs, J. McKinnon, A. Collins, I. Smith, B. Hill, R. Armstead, M. Boone
WR- J. Smith-Schuster, T. Boyd, C. Sutton, M. Brown, H. Ruggs, S. Miller
TE- G. Kittle, Enron, C. Herndon
'21 Picks- 1.12

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed May 08, 2019 5:13 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 am Huge 49er fan here. Two things about Breida that you didn't mention:

(1) His pass protection sucks. That's a huge knock against him since it makes the offense just slightly more predictable every play.
(2) He gets hurt all the time. ALL THE TIME. Soft tissue injuries every damn day. It's a running joke every week about how long into a game he'll get before he gets hurt. That's why we saw FOUR RBs past Breida on the depth chart who got significant carries during the year.

I like Breida's talent as a runner and pass catcher, but there's no way in hell he'll ever be the lead back. He's a flex with weekly upside at best. Coleman is 1A, McKinnon is 1B. Breida has the talent to fill in for either of these guys, an that's a role that everyone is going to be comfortable with.

Your assessment is spot on though.
X2.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed May 08, 2019 6:38 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:33 pm Maybe, maybe not. Shanahan has demonstrated in the past (both vocally and in deed) that he doesn't need super primo RB talent to have an elite running game. So it's plausible he eschews star prospects and free-agents for cheaper (be it in the form of contract or draft capital) options in '20.
Shanahan is a maestro of taking underpaid RBs and churning out dominant running games. Yes.

But IMO that's all the more reason why this super deep 2020 RB class should worry Coleman/McKinnon/Breida owners. Instead of continuing to pay them, he could feasibly grab a 3rd round rookie and start to ride him. In this deep class, he doesn't need to spend much capital to get a really good player. Recall Tevin Coleman was drafted in the third round and probably would have started if he didn't get hurt and Freeman didn't take the job and run. Freeman was a 4th rounder, too.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 08, 2019 12:05 pm

He's ultra talented but he can't handle more than 10-12 carries, 15 on a good Sunday.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 08, 2019 12:06 pm

It's gonna be a 4 headed monster where you don't know who's attacking ala NE with their stable of RBs.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:06 pm It's gonna be a 4 headed monster where you don't know who's attacking ala NE with their stable of RBs.
I believe that one guy will emerge as the primary. Shanahan has always had one guy he's favored as the starter, in scoring position, for 60pc of plays.

I think the messy RBBC impacts the RB2 moreso. I think those are the guys fighting for scraps. Typically, even Shanny's RB2 has been relevant in fantasy as a spot start or as a flex in deeper leagues. But I'm guessing the odd-men-out kind of cannibalize that role this year.

I could be wrong. He could "feature" one guy depending on matchups on any given week. I just believe that one guy will emerge as more effective after a couple weeks, and Shanahan will go to him as his traditional RB1.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am

I kind of feel like Tevin Coleman has sneaky value for this year, only because Breida and McKinnon get banged up so much. I'm not a huge Coleman fan, and have sold him everywhere but my start 3 RB league, but I think he's the guy to own for this year. I worry that Hurd is going to poach any and all goal line touches, though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm still on "team McKinnon" to be the lead, but I definitely respect what Breida has shown. That guy can play.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun May 19, 2019 10:07 am

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/artic ... d=86297601

Breida suggests it will be a 3-headed monster.

“They’ve talked to us about it. They’ve said, ‘Hey, we’re going to use all you guys,’” Breida said. “… All three of us are going to be used a lot. I don’t want to give away any secrets, but we’re all going to be used in the offense.”
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 am Huge 49er fan here. Two things about Breida that you didn't mention:

(1) His pass protection sucks. That's a huge knock against him since it makes the offense just slightly more predictable every play.
(2) He gets hurt all the time. ALL THE TIME. Soft tissue injuries every damn day. It's a running joke every week about how long into a game he'll get before he gets hurt. That's why we saw FOUR RBs past Breida on the depth chart who got significant carries during the year.

I like Breida's talent as a runner and pass catcher, but there's no way in hell he'll ever be the lead back. He's a flex with weekly upside at best. Coleman is 1A, McKinnon is 1B. Breida has the talent to fill in for either of these guys, an that's a role that everyone is going to be comfortable with.

Your assessment is spot on though.

Right on cue.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am

Torn pec is a really ramdom injury to get while lifting weights, sounds like was pushing it too much.

That said, he will be back for camp.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am Torn pec is a really ramdom injury to get while lifting weights, sounds like was pushing it too much.

That said, he will be back for camp.
His point is he gets soft tissue injuries all the time. This is a soft tissue injury. I was merely pointing it out as an observation that seems to have some merit.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri May 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Tough backfield until some injuries pile on, which is very likely, as stated. Going to be hard to start any of these guys if all 3 are healthy. I held Tevin hoping for a good landing spot, so maybe he breaks out for a game or two.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri May 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Well between the three of them, one of them has to be able to play on Sundays..

...right?