Buy Low/Sell High

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
tombonneau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Buy Low/Sell High

Postby tombonneau » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm

motherlode wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:14 am I was listening to a podcast the other night (I dont remember which one) and one of the guys on there suggested that the bigger threat to Duke was Jarvis Landry. His theory was that last season Duke was basically the Browns slot WR and that this year Landry would soak up a lot of those underneath targets that went to Duke last year.

I don't know how true it is but it sounds plausible to me.
Yeah I'd read this theory as well. The rebutal is Haley is the new OC and he loves throwing to backs. Of course, Browns passing game pie could expand by 20% and it's a zero sum game for all parties.

A previous poster does give me pause though re: the recent history of 3DBs and how they flash then sort of fade away.

Either way, I think the owner is feeling the same as you all on this thread, as my initial entry level offer (mid-late 2019 third + rookie wr prospect) is under serious consideration.

Edit:
Some good stats and info here, albeit with no definitive conclusion.

https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/ ... -cleveland

He does draw interesting comparison to Haley's 2011 KC RB trio though.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:01 pm

motherlode wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:45 pm If im buying low on a Patriots WR its Jordan Matthews. Still only 25 ( i know...i was shocked too), and has played and thrived in the slot WR role. Averaged over 100 targets and 80 Receptions a year in Philly. Last year in Buffalo he was done in my his knee. If his knee is fully healed from December surgery, it wont surprise me if Matthews is given the first shot to fill the Edelman role. No Cooks, no Amendola, Mitchell cant stay healthy, Britt is a has been, Dorsett is a never was been. Gronk will do Gronky things, Hogan will fill the outside Cooks role, and Matthews will roam the middle of the field creating matchup nightmares for slot CBs around the league.
too bad he has feet for hands.

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:51 am

Maybe this could be it's own thread, but I think a general rule might be ... whenever a player changes team ... sell. I know there will be examples where this isnt the case, but I wonder what the stats would show. Has anyone ever seen a comprehensive analysis of this?
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Had a discussion about Tyler Lockett and Seattle's WR corps in another thread. This bit about Jaron Brown seems more fitting here- http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/8 ... sheet?pg=2
Last edited by Pullo Vision on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:32 pm

Buy Elijah McGuire low while it’s still cheap. He’s going to end up the PPR RB to own for the Jets, and on that offense with such weak WRs/TE, I think upwards of 60+ receptions is a possibility. Powell is ok, but with him being in his last year of his contract and unlikely to be resigned, coupled with the Jets need to look for the future, means Elijah takes that job sooner than later. Crow and Rawls are just JAG pounders and not a threat to the PPR role, though they will surely vulture some TDs(if Jets can even manage a red zone trip).

Edit- I forgot to add any sell highs. Based just in personal belief and evaluations, some of the biggest for me would be McCaffrey, Mixon, Evan Engram

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:32 pm Buy Elijah McGuire low while it’s still cheap. He’s going to end up the PPR RB to own for the Jets, and on that offense with such weak WRs/TE, I think upwards of 60+ receptions is a possibility. Powell is ok, but with him being in his last year of his contract and unlikely to be resigned, coupled with the Jets need to look for the future, means Elijah takes that job sooner than later. Crow and Rawls are just JAG pounders and not a threat to the PPR role, though they will surely vulture some TDs(if Jets can even manage a red zone trip).

Edit- I forgot to add any sell highs. Based just in personal belief and evaluations, some of the biggest for me would be McCaffrey, Mixon, Evan Engram
I do agree with the , Jets didnt draft a RB and I read that Powell may be cut.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:56 am

motherlode wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:45 pm If im buying low on a Patriots WR its Jordan Matthews. Still only 25 ( i know...i was shocked too), and has played and thrived in the slot WR role. Averaged over 100 targets and 80 Receptions a year in Philly. Last year in Buffalo he was done in my his knee. If his knee is fully healed from December surgery, it wont surprise me if Matthews is given the first shot to fill the Edelman role. No Cooks, no Amendola, Mitchell cant stay healthy, Britt is a has been, Dorsett is a never was been. Gronk will do Gronky things, Hogan will fill the outside Cooks role, and Matthews will roam the middle of the field creating matchup nightmares for slot CBs around the league.
^ this - been thinking the same thing. Lots of reasons to doubt J-Matt, but if he is really healthy and seizes the opportunity, one has to wonder if he becomes the Pat's replacement plan for Edelman down the road. How old is Julian again? Hey, it could happen. Then again... maybe not.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 am

I'm cautiously optimistic on J Matt too - got him late last season when his value was circling the drain.

At the same time, might move on if the Pats barely look his way in September.

Definitely a hero/zero situation.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 am

I just picked up J-Matt, he was hanging around in the FA, looking at his stats if healthy I can see him putting up solid numbers.

Solid size 6'3 210

2014 67-872-8 on 103 Targets
2015 85-997-8 on 127 Targets
2016 73-804-3 on 117 Targets
2017 Hurt
so he does have a pretty successful history

WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,

2020 3rd place Year 1
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 am

joeya2001 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 am I just picked up J-Matt, he was hanging around in the FA, looking at his stats if healthy I can see him putting up solid numbers.

Solid size 6'3 210

2017 Hurt
While he wasn't the picture of the health last year he played in 10 games and had 36 targets. He signed a 1 year 1 million dollar contract. He has separation issues.

I guess you could say he is a buy low player but in reality he is FA type quality. Don't expect much out of this player.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:54 am

Ice wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 am
joeya2001 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 am I just picked up J-Matt, he was hanging around in the FA, looking at his stats if healthy I can see him putting up solid numbers.

Solid size 6'3 210

2017 Hurt
While he wasn't the picture of the health last year he played in 10 games and had 36 targets. He signed a 1 year 1 million dollar contract. He has separation issues.

I guess you could say he is a buy low player but in reality he is FA type quality. Don't expect much out of this player.
I do feel they brought him in or a reason and didn't draft and WR

through the 1s 4 weeks

you will have Gronk Hogan and ??? where I think that's when he will have a opportunity.

when week 5 and on

Edelman Hogan Gronk and WR 3 is open, so if he shows something he could have a role going forward.

Then for dynasty purposes. If the Pats move on from Edelman next season, they could resign a younger WR in Matthews at 26.

For a guy so cheap and a situation that could happen its 100% worth the gamble.

2020 3rd place Year 1
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:46 am

They have Dorsett and Malcolm Mithchell, They also traded for C. Patterson. The Pats seem to have a pretty complex system and with Brady the WR's need to really know their routes and some acceleration is critical. He could end up being serviceable. I think Mitchell who should be 100% by camp has a good chance to pass him personally. Dorsett and Mathews could be in a fight to make the team.

The Bills didn't want him anymore than Philly.

Agree he is worth a shot if the price is really low. Maybe he bounces back.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Sell high, buy low, always

Postby saw061600 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 am

There is a lesson to be learned from the current Hill drama; sell high and buy low. We're all really good at trying to buy low, even though we all sometimes buy high. However, I think MOST fantasy owners have a very hard time selling high. We get excited, justifiably so, at having a top asset that can potentially win us the championship (Gurley 2 years ago). But then, we fail to cash out for double the rewards: high draft picks AND quality players.

As soon as Hill started hitting "#1 Fantasy Asset, #1 Fantasy WR" status, owners that follow the sell high buy low belief should have looked to cash out. Apply the lesson to this and future years. If your top asset begins to generate hype that reaches fanatical proportions, sell high and increase roster capital. Get a top 20 WR and pick(s) for that #1 WR.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Sell high, buy low, always

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:19 am

You're right, but I'm still not trading Saquon Barkley lol.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Sell high, buy low, always

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:28 am

Sometimes true.

If you believe the guy can maintain top 4 status for a few years, I ride him out. If I think his current status can't be maintained, then sell.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.