Warning - do not set up your startup draft like this....

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Warning - do not set up your startup draft like this....

Postby jordanzs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:47 pm

What do you think about this thread then?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=181400

I'll tap out after speaking my mind. I was looking for a league on Sleeper but I'll find another :)

And once again, if I'm being out of line on my responses, it's ok to tell me.....

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm

I saw it, and I think you're fine, but not worth arguing with him. Find another league to join and let other people waste their time and money on a poorly run league. Some people have to learn from their mistakes firsthand rather than from reading about the mistakes of others.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Yup for sure, I've given my warning & tried to pass down my knowledge. I've done that with commishes in the past and they've thanked me for enlightening them. When I was new to dynasty, I had similar experienced players do the same for me & I'm grateful for it.

But for those who don't want to listen, well ok. If anyone sees that format & knowingly joins the league, it's on them.

I'll divert my time elsewhere & won't be joining that one :)

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm I saw it, and I think you're fine, but not worth arguing with him. Find another league to join and let other people waste their time and money on a poorly run league. Some people have to learn from their mistakes firsthand rather than from reading about the mistakes of others.
The commish on that thread came around and restructured his draft so that rookie placeholder draft picks will be draftable during their startup. I give him props for seeing the light and greatly improving the quality of his league.

#MissionComplete

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am

in my big stakes league we screwed up and did reverse. all 13 other leagues we didnt do that haha everyone was highly experienced too. i have no idea how we all let the mistake happen...
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Here's another one in the help wanted section. Just chimed in of course:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180596

How does this happen?

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 pm Here's another one in the help wanted section. Just chimed in of course:

How does this happen?
I've seen several startups with rookie picks included where someone just drafts all the rookie picks. In some cases it's a good way to help keep someone from sabotaging their team and leaving it the next year with all sophomore players. I always do a separate rookie draft, but both draft's are completely random. It's not a favorite, but it works out fine.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm

whodunnit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm
jordanzs wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 pm Here's another one in the help wanted section. Just chimed in of course:

How does this happen?
I've seen several startups with rookie picks included where someone just drafts all the rookie picks. In some cases it's a good way to help keep someone from sabotaging their team and leaving it the next year with all sophomore players. I always do a separate rookie draft, but both draft's are completely random. It's not a favorite, but it works out fine.
Ok, that's their prerogative if they want to draft that way.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm
whodunnit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm

How does this happen?
Ok, that's their prerogative if they want to draft that way.
True, but at the same as a commissioner you have to have some way to protect the future of the league. If you set it up to where one person can draft every (or the majority) of rookie picks, and also trade away any future assets, then they decide since they're not competitive, they aren't going to return the following year, that is just as bad, if not worse, than doing two separate snake drafts.

there was a startup I participated in 2 years ago where a guy traded all of his picks from the next year, drafted 2 players in the 1st round then just drafted mostly rookie picks the rest of the draft. I think he had something in the area of 15 of the first 2 rounds of the rookie draft that year. Then left the league.
Watson Goff Purdy

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Well that scenario comes down to the commish's ability to source & grab 12 solid owners. Douchebag owners are douchebags, no matter what the setup is.

2 years ago in 1 of startup drafts, we had the flipside. An owner went all-in during the startup draft. Trading away his "next year's firsts" and change for Julio. And drafting guys who were worth more on the redraft scale than the dynasty scale. He was playing to win the $$ in 2017 & then walk away. He came in 2nd place (luckily not league champ) and then we never heard from him again.

The scenario that I brought up in the original post, the problem with that is it will take 12 good solid knowledgeable owners and dick over some of them in favor of other owners.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Players should be required to pay ahead for trading away future assets.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm Players should be required to pay ahead for trading away future assets.
He did. Still didn't keep him from wrecking the team and leaving and causing us to not be able to find a replacement
Watson Goff Purdy

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 am

whodunnit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm Players should be required to pay ahead for trading away future assets.
He did. Still didn't keep him from wrecking the team and leaving and causing us to not be able to find a replacement
Well that's on the commish for adding a crappy owner and the owner for not being good. Obviously your team isn't going to be any good at first if you just draft a bunch of rookies. Just because you had one bad experience though doesn't change the fact that the only balanced way of holding a separate rookie draft after the startup is to include the draft picks in the startup and make them all individually draftable.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:20 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 am
whodunnit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm
Well that's on the commish for adding a crappy owner and the owner for not being good. Obviously your team isn't going to be any good at first if you just draft a bunch of rookies. Just because you had one bad experience though doesn't change the fact that the only balanced way of holding a separate rookie draft after the startup is to include the draft picks in the startup and make them all individually draftable.
twice this happened. two separate owners too. just because you think this is the only way for a rookie draft to take place, doesn't make it so. there's absolutely nothing wrong with a snake rookie draft, just like there's nothing wrong with making the rookie picks draft-able. it's all preference. therefore it isn't a 'fact' that it's more balanced to do so.
Watson Goff Purdy

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:40 am

There absolutely is a problem with Snake rookie drafts, and just because the problem is less noticeable this year than in past years doesn't change that fact. Pick values in a rookie draft can vary far more wildly than in a startup depending on the draft class. Lets use 2016 as an example, if you had the #1 pick in the rookie draft due to the fact you had the last pick in the startup then you would be gifted Zeke and end up with 3 of the top 15 players (assuming a 12 team league). Just one pick later though you get what? Corey Coleman? Josh Doctson? Derrick Henry? Those were the guys that were typically going 2nd overall that year. Now if you make the individual picks draftable everyone in the league has at least a chance of landing Zeke, rather than it being predetermined by a random drawing. The 1.01 would be taken somewhere within the first 15 picks, but 1.02 wouldn't come off the board until probably at least 40th overall.

So yes drafting rookie picks (or holding a rookie auction) is the ONLY right way to hold a separate rookie draft after a startup draft.