How does your league differ from the consensus?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

How does your league differ from the consensus?

Postby Phaded » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am

Around these forums - we have consensus opinions, evaluations and so forth.

However; any of us who are in any leagues know that evaluations, trades and the like do not necessarily mesh with this small corner of the internet. It is easy for us to say "make this trade and then just do this" - but it is often not that simple as many of us have found out.

With that said; how do your leagues differ from the consensus?
Do you notice a common theme popping up?

In my 10-team league that has been around 8 years; this league might as well be nicknamed "consensus be damned".
This community would have you believe that QBs are easy to acquire and they are cheap. Not the case in this 10-teamer; you cannot find a single starter on the waiver wire and people are hesitant to trade their QBs; especially anywhere near consensus values. For perspective, Barkley was traded straight up for Mahomes (insane, I know). If you want a QB - you better draft one in this league.

Beyond that - running backs are impossible to trade for it seems and everyone holds onto them like gold.

What about you guys?

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: How does your league differ from the consensus?

Postby IR1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 am

10 team IDP with heavy IDP scoring. Elite DE on par with top tier RB's. The past 2 years the second player drafted was a defensive player- Myles Garrett and Bradley Chubb
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 am

I'm in a 14 team, .5 PPR for reference, 1 QB league. I agree with pretty much everything you said in regards to QB's and especially RBs. Our waiver wire was a waste land for QBs, partially because one guy was rostering 7 of them. Yes 7. RB's are king in my league, and most leagues as well.

I also 100% agree on the board evaluations/trade advice in comparison to what actually goes down in my league. "Player X is worth at least 2 firsts" yet that guy can't be moved in my league for a 2nd rounder. I love all the talk and knowledge that plenty of people have on here, but I put more stock in the trades actually made to gauge what to expect than listening to the perceived value given by people here.

Something I've noticed that wasn't touched on in your post is how my league values draft picks. They value first round picks at an insanely high rate. That's great when you are in win now mode as you can get some super nice pieces for a first. But rebuilding and trying to aquire firsts is pretty tough.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:19 am

16 team 2 QB full IDP 53 man rosters
12 team SF full IDP 53 man rosters

I can no longer do the standard 12 team 1 QB no IDP after swimming in the deep end.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:24 am

in a couple of my leagues we value picks a lot less than on here (16 and 14 teams though, which may influence that). no one in there would give jordan howard away for a second like many people on here would. and i'll be bleep if i give a mid 1st for amari cooper!

also, we hate PPR, multiple QBs, TEs, funky scoring (silly bonuses for yards, big plays, points per carry, points for first downs, points for QBs sharting their pants after a sack... bleep that noise!). i thought that was relatively normal, but wanting to join another league and having a look at the section on this forum, it seems everyone is in love with that crap.

i also find "multiple copies" players silly.

dizzler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dizzler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:39 pm

In my 12 team PPR League ( Team 1 in sig). Rb's are like a powerball ticket. You simply don't trade for them and if you do, you better be willing to overpay. I was lucky enough to draft Zeke and Kamara to be my foundation. Qb's are relatively cheap in this league which is nuts because its a superFlex. I traded for Cam earlier in the offseason. I paid 1.05 and got Cam and a 2020 1st ( mid/late) in return. I thought that was ridiculously cheap for Cam in a SF.
Team 1 - Super Kamario Bros (12 Team - PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -1, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB -Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Haskins (R)
RB -Zeke, Kamara, Drake, Ballage; Thompson, Ajayi
WR - D Hopkins, Julio, A. Miller, Coutee, AJ Brown (R) , Marvin Jones, Mclaurin (R),
Te -Delanie, Ebron, Oliver (R)
2020:3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Kerryon Luggage (12 Team - 2TE PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -2, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB - Jimmy G, Josh Allen, Mariota
RB - Kerryon, Jamaal Will, Drake, Ballage, Miles Sanders (R), Justice Hill (R), Myles Gaskins (R)
Wr - Micheal Thomas, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Crowder, Coutee, Aj Brown (R), Marquise Brown (R), Keesean Johnson (R), Kelvin Harmon (R)
Te- Engram, Oj Howard, Josh Oliver (R)
2020: 3,3,3, 5

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:48 pm

I think, in forum discussions, we underestimate how much QBs typically cost in dynasty.

2nd and 3rd tier guys are usually pretty cheap in STARTUPS, and QBs don’t go super high in rookie drafts, but once they’re on a roster - they usually don’t get moved for “fair value”

That’s one reason I actually like drafting QBs in rookie drafts. They’re usually appreciating assets that can be flipped for decent profit within a year.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm

My leagues are ppr that start 1RB, 3WRs, 1TE, and 1RB/WR/TE FLEX. This skews things heavily towards having WR depth and affects all the trade values between positions.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Consensus is not really a term I could use with any consistency in any of my leagues. Valuation of players and picks is all over the map. Instead I keep track over the years of certain owner tendencies when discussing trades.

One of my leagues is so complex with contracts, contract years, auction, rookie draft, annual f or t tag and a salary cap not to mention IDP balanced scoring that a stud DE is equal to a stud RB or WR. This is my best league as it is like being a GM/Owner and coach.

Trades are often head scratches to understand unless one looks into the the deeper and long lasting cap implications. The most experienced owners give a pretty wide latitude before complaining too much.

I commished this league for a decade and became quite adept at looking at both sides since Commish approved trades and there was no veto. Didn't mean explanations didn't happen.

I have no issue with a Mahomes Barkley type trade in any league even though many would cry fowl. Dynasty leagues are long lasting and it is almost impossible to determine who wins deals long term.

I guess I am in the consensus be damned group. If you miss on a Zeke type the odds are you will not get him in a trade ever. It doesn't matter what the compensation is or if its fair or not.

Studs always take to willing partners. I know I usually overpay or its a perceived overpay if I really want to get a stud.

Fantasy football is a never ending Chess Match so I guess that might qualify as a consensus opinion.

Checker Players in this game aggravate me. You all know them, they will offer 1.9 for Mahomes telling you QB's don't matter and they hold no real value.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:10 pm

I am in too many leagues to use one as an example but I quite concur from examples that QBs can be very hard to buy in some of the leagues. I know in 1 12 team league a guy has had 4 starting QBs (for the past 4 years) and would not budge on selling any of them - and do not think about tryingto buy ARod off of him - that would have cost you Barkley. But then there are some TE Premium leagues where I can buy TEs cheaper than in a normal ppr league.

I think when your rookie draft occurs can also cause some difference in consensus. The earlier your draft the closer to consensus you might see but get into July/August and then you'll start seeing some names driven up draft boards (fairly or unfairly) from news & hype.

In the end - consensus pricing is basically the average of all people. So regardless of where the ADP / DLF Rankings might suggest where average owner(s) value a player, you still need to do your homework and know where that players value is in regards to your leaguemates. As such I definitely agree with Ice that
Ice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:36 pm Consensus is not really a term I could use with any consistency in any of my leagues. Valuation of players and picks is all over the map. Instead I keep track over the years of certain owner tendencies when discussing trades.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Phaded wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am
In my 10-team league that has been around 8 years; this league might as well be nicknamed "consensus be damned".
This community would have you believe that QBs are easy to acquire and they are cheap. Not the case in this 10-teamer; you cannot find a single starter on the waiver wire and people are hesitant to trade their QBs; especially anywhere near consensus values. For perspective, Barkley was traded straight up for Mahomes (insane, I know). If you want a QB - you better draft one in this league.

Beyond that - running backs are impossible to trade for it seems and everyone holds onto them like gold.

What about you guys?
In the DFL Premium league, which is 16 teams, QBs are similarly valued to what you describe. I got a bit of flack for paying basically a tiny bit less than Kamara for Mahomes (in a complete overhaul rebuild) from the few new guys that joined in the off season because of that.

I totally understood, but in general guys like Wentz, Watson, Luck and now Mahomes and Baker have been next to impossible to trade for in this league these past few years, and that evaluation basically began in our startup draft, where some guys like myself missed the memo to draft each and every QB early and ended up with the likes of Tannehill on an otherwise good team.

I have a ton of picks these next 2 drafts, so maybe drafting some top tier QBs for trade value really is the way to go from here on out..

I'll also agree on the "consensus be damned" thing, as there has been many a blockbuster trade in that league that may seem absolutely bonkers to outsiders, but made sense to at least 2 guys in the league. It's one of the things I love most about the league actually.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 am

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:04 pm

What about you guys?
In the DFL Premium league, which is 16 teams, QBs are similarly valued to what you describe. I got a bit of flack for paying basically a tiny bit less than Kamara for Mahomes (in a complete overhaul rebuild) from the few new guys that joined in the off season because of that.

I totally understood, but in general guys like Wentz, Watson, Luck and now Mahomes and Baker have been next to impossible to trade for in this league these past few years, and that evaluation basically began in our startup draft, where some guys like myself missed the memo to draft each and every QB early and ended up with the likes of Tannehill on an otherwise good team.

I have a ton of picks these next 2 drafts, so maybe drafting some top tier QBs for trade value really is the way to go from here on out..

I'll also agree on the "consensus be damned" thing, as there has been many a blockbuster trade in that league that may seem absolutely bonkers to outsiders, but made sense to at least 2 guys in the league. It's one of the things I love most about the league actually.
Fellow DLF Premium Leaguer, and I agree that our league has prime QB valuations. But the reality is that too guys score a heap of points.

I'm still interested in Mahomes, btw.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 am

In my main league in sig, it's definitely RB value. They are damn near impossible to trade for.

On the other hand, I got Luck for Cousins and John Ross in August 2018...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 am

I'm in one league with punters and head coaches. For punters, you get positive points for punts inside the 20 and inside the 10, with negatives for blocked punts. Head coaches get positive/negative points for positive/negative score differentials in games.

For player values, QBs seem to be valued higher than the consensus in all but my superflex league, trying to get 1st round picks in a rebuild is extremely difficult in most of my leagues, and I way too often will see studs go for things like 6-for-1 player deals.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

dizzler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dizzler » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 am
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:04 pm

What about you guys?

Fellow DLF Premium Leaguer, and I agree that our league has prime QB valuations. But the reality is that too guys score a heap of points.

I'm still interested in Mahomes, btw.
Mariotahomes is on the block for 1.01 :wink:
Team 1 - Super Kamario Bros (12 Team - PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -1, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB -Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Haskins (R)
RB -Zeke, Kamara, Drake, Ballage; Thompson, Ajayi
WR - D Hopkins, Julio, A. Miller, Coutee, AJ Brown (R) , Marvin Jones, Mclaurin (R),
Te -Delanie, Ebron, Oliver (R)
2020:3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Kerryon Luggage (12 Team - 2TE PPR) ( QB -1 , RB -2 , WR - 2, Te -2, FLX - 1, SuperFLX - 1, DP - 2, K- 1)
QB - Jimmy G, Josh Allen, Mariota
RB - Kerryon, Jamaal Will, Drake, Ballage, Miles Sanders (R), Justice Hill (R), Myles Gaskins (R)
Wr - Micheal Thomas, Zay Jones, Curtis Samuel, Crowder, Coutee, Aj Brown (R), Marquise Brown (R), Keesean Johnson (R), Kelvin Harmon (R)
Te- Engram, Oj Howard, Josh Oliver (R)
2020: 3,3,3, 5