Making Offers Public on Trade Bait

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Making Offers Public on Trade Bait

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am

Lately I've been setting my trade bait up making offers I receive on players public as such:

Needs: WR

**Jared Cook**
Offer1: Goedert, Humphries, 3.05
Offer2: Hyde, '21 1st

It's drawn the ire of a few league mates calling it "lazy" and not wanting their offers public, but I'm a little confused about their outrage, I couldn't care less if someone posted an offer I made on a player. Would you have an issue if someone in your league sold players in this manner? Important to note that the owners were told their offers were going to be placed publicly on trade bait, if they expressed discontent with that, I didn't post their offer.
Last edited by makemeasandwich on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Making Offers Public on Trade Bait

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 pm

1. I would've accepted that offer of Cook for Hyde + 2021 1st immediately upon receiving it.
2. Yes, trade negotiations should only be shared if the two parties are both inclined to do so. I wouldn't be too happy if you aired out one of my offers without telling me.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:02 pm

If you are privately posturing to try to get more out of a deal; then go for it - however, if you are just publicly posting offers and saying "go ahead & beat this", I would be a little irritated.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Interesting. I don't know if this would wake up my dormant league (in terms of trades) or not. I suspect it would make some owners hesitant to deal in the future, in my league. I guess it depends on the makeup of the league and if there is a precedent for doing this already.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm

I am not a fan of making offers public. I use different tactics with different GM's. Some get better offers than others cause i know they are tougher negotiators and have a better understanding of value. I also don't want other GM's to know what kind of players/positions i am targeting because if everyone knows I'm coming after a TE from you really hard they are probably going to ask for that much more if i approach them for their TE in a trade.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 pm

You should either be accepting or declining. You shouldn't be saying, sure I'll do this if I can't find anything better.

Now its fine to hold off deciding on a deal and going out and approaching others, but I dont think you should be saying what you are getting from them specifically.

Also you may find this backfiring, what if someone offers a better player for the deal that you are asking people to beat.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

I feel like doing something like this has more cons than pros. This just feels like it is going to blow up in your face at some point.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:11 pm

id rip you a new one if you were in my league. i dont like when someone goes to the group chat to mock an offer ive made even without getting into specifics. theres no reason to do this other than the try to create a bidding war where if thats what you want just say "cook will be sold at midnight offer up"
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:02 pm If you are privately posturing to try to get more out of a deal; then go for it - however, if you are just publicly posting offers and saying "go ahead & beat this", I would be a little irritated.
I'm transparent with them and tell them we're a bit far apart and I'm putting their offer up on my trade bait for future reference. The only people it really seems to piss off are the people who routinely send out bad offers.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 pm

makemeasandwich wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am I could care less if someone posted an offer I made on a player.
assuming you meant "couldn't", it is probably because you've never got a deal scuppered by someone setting up an auction.

i don't think it's on to tell everyone what other teams are offering for your players, that said, i'm not one that likes vetoing or forbidding things, if you did that with me, that would be the first and last time as i wouldn't consider trading anything with you anymore. if everyone reacts like that, you're doomed to overpay for the rest of your stay in that league if you want to trade.

don't ask if an action is right or wrong, just consider the reaction.

if your league mates are outraged, it's unlikely they'll to come up with other offers. is that what yu want?
Last edited by killer_of_giants on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:11 pm id rip you a new one if you were in my league. i dont like when someone goes to the group chat to mock an offer ive made even without getting into specifics. theres no reason to do this other than the try to create a bidding war where if thats what you want just say "cook will be sold at midnight offer up"
I don't do it in group chat, just in my trade bait and I'm not mocking their offer.

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:18 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 pm
makemeasandwich wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am I could care less if someone posted an offer I made on a player.
assuming you meant "couldn't", it is probably because you've never got a deal scuppered by someone setting up an auction.

i don't think it's on to tell everyone what other teams are offering for your players, that said, i'm not one that likes vetoing or forbidding things, if you did that with me, that would be the first and last time as i wouldn't consider trading anything with you anymore. if everyone reacts like that, you're doomed to overpay for the rest of your stay in that league if you want to trade.

don't ask if an action is right or wrong, just consider the reaction.

if your league mates are outraged, it's unlikely they'll to come up with other offers. is that what yu want?
It's literally like 2 people who were mad, was just curious what everyone thought here. The 2 people that were irritated by it are serial low ballers.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:19 pm

makemeasandwich wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm
BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:11 pm id rip you a new one if you were in my league. i dont like when someone goes to the group chat to mock an offer ive made even without getting into specifics. theres no reason to do this other than the try to create a bidding war where if thats what you want just say "cook will be sold at midnight offer up"
I don't do it in group chat, just in my trade bait and I'm not mocking their offer.
no you pretty much are... you're saying that these offers weren't good enough for you.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Paul717 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm Interesting. I don't know if this would wake up my dormant league (in terms of trades) or not. I suspect it would make some owners hesitant to deal in the future, in my league. I guess it depends on the makeup of the league and if there is a precedent for doing this already.
No precedent for doing this in my league, just got tired of looking at my trade offers and seeing a steaming pile of horse sh*t.

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:23 pm

abloom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:19 pm
makemeasandwich wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm
no you pretty much are... you're saying that these offers weren't good enough for you.
In my opinion, mocking would be going into group chat, posting an offer w/o the other persons consent and publicly ridiculing them for offering me such a steaming pile of sh*t, which I'm not doing.