First Auction in about 4 years

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lukkyseven
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

First Auction in about 4 years

Postby lukkyseven » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 am

Full IDP Dynasty style. No contracts.

Give me some advice. I'm leaving it vague cause even something simple will probably help.

I'm fairly versed in IDP at this point, but the start up auction is going to throw me for a loop.

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: First Auction in about 4 years

Postby sportstalkryan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 am

As always, adjust your valuation of players based on scoring system and starting lineup requirements (SF? TE Premium? # Flex spots?). IDP will always be valued less than offensive players, even if the league is set up to make them about even. Value is determined by the owners of the league and how much they're willing to bid, and not by the rules.

If this is a dynasty, I'd go with a Studs and Duds strategy. It's always easier to build a good defense after the fact, both through trading and drafting. So spend the majority of your startup money on offensive stars. This is doubly true if you're comfortable with IDP as you can probably get at least an average defense spending next to nothing.

The best time to acquire good values is in the very beginning of the auction, before the market has been set. The last couple startup auctions I participated in, the first couple players off the board went relatively cheap, with people mistakenly thinking those prices were setting the market. A few days later, people were kicking themselves for letting those players off the board at such low $ amounts. So strike fast.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.

lukkyseven
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: First Auction in about 4 years

Postby lukkyseven » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am

The point you make about offensive studs makes sense to me. I can piece together an IDP like you said. And after year one, they are very easy to aquire via the draft (stud LB's are easy to spot).

It will be SF and deep rosters. I assume that bumps the premium for players up as there are a lot more people bidding on them.