Chris Godwin Heat Check

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Huh
Starter
Starter

Re: Chris Godwin Heat Check

Postby Huh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:01 am

I get all fired up when I think about Godwin, arians, and all those unaccounted for targets. But then I think about Winston and it pulls me back a bit. I just think Winston is a bit of a hack. Maybe arians can get winston to fulfill his potential. I still like Godwin a lot and I’m a talent over situation guy and the situation is still going to be okay so I’m buying where I can.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:04 am

One of the biggest things about Winston - is sure, he is entering his 5th NFL season but he also JUST turned 25.
There is plenty of time to correct him; which is why I am curious to see if Bruce Arians can do it.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm

I was reading an article that argued Evans was a sell this offseason. The crux of it was Godwin has a more well-riunded game and athletic profile.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm I was reading an article that argued Evans was a sell this offseason. The crux of it was Godwin has a more well-riunded game and athletic profile.
90% of Evans game is based on being huge and fast. Godwin is much more nuanced. Shrink Evans down or stretch Godwin and Godwin is the better pure wr.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Huh wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:04 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm I was reading an article that argued Evans was a sell this offseason. The crux of it was Godwin has a more well-riunded game and athletic profile.
90% of Evans game is based on being huge and fast. Godwin is much more nuanced. Shrink Evans down or stretch Godwin and Godwin is the better pure wr.
Evans is also incredibly adept at falling down at the catch point. He had more than 1500 yards last season and only 200 YAC. That’s just atrocious. I don’t think Godwin overtaking him as the primary receiver there is nearly as far-fetched as some would believe.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:57 pm

I wouldn't expect Godwin to overtake Evans as much as I would see it eventually becoming a 1A & 1B type situation.
I personally would not call Godwin a "better receiver" ; however, the two are very different types of receivers and should compliment eachother well.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Part of what is wrong with Winston is mechanical, but his greatest flaw is between the ears...always has been and always will be and Arians will not help in that regard one iota. TB was a top offense last year for fantasy and that was with a journeyman outplaying Winston for much of the year. Can Winston put up good numbers this year? Absolutely, but it will not be because of him, it will be in spite of him. Think Bortles while he was putting up great fantasy numbers. Also, the idea that Arians is a QB whisperer is false. His real track record is far from his supposed legend.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Chris Godwin "heat check"? The heat is so great that my pants are off.

Sorry. Continue with the Evans vs Godwin debate while I try to cool my love for Godwin.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 pm

dm1129 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 pm Part of what is wrong with Winston is mechanical, but his greatest flaw is between the ears...always has been and always will be and Arians will not help in that regard one iota. TB was a top offense last year for fantasy and that was with a journeyman outplaying Winston for much of the year. Can Winston put up good numbers this year? Absolutely, but it will not be because of him, it will be in spite of him. Think Bortles while he was putting up great fantasy numbers. Also, the idea that Arians is a QB whisperer is false. His real track record is far from his supposed legend.
Yeah I disagree on this. Jameis has never been as bad as Bortles. Jameis’s issues have been turnovers. He got off to a bad start last season but was very good in 2017 and was also pretty good after he got his job back. Fitzpatrick outplayed him for about 4 games, not the season. Jameis had a 13-4 TD:INT ratio after coming back and a career high completion % and maintained a 7.9 YPA. His best days are ahead of him.

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Can’t remember where I heard but the rumor was the bucs were quietly shopping Evans this offseason. If that happened Godwin would rise and take his proper place amongst the clouds.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:51 pm

I think that's why Evans and Godwin are good compliments. Evans brings size, possession receiving and redzone prowess, while Godwin brings sharper route running and versatility in alignment. I think Evans is a better WR. Ever since he improved his route running, he's shown more flashes of dominance.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:15 pm

So since I may be looking at Godwin through rose colored glasses, whats his value in 2019 rookie picks?

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Bot101 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:15 pm So since I may be looking at Godwin through rose colored glasses, whats his value in 2019 rookie picks?
I just turned down 1.05 straight up for him.
Pre draft I would only want N’keal Harry ahead of him , would bump Jacobs ahead of him too if he landed in KC for example

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Some of this Chris Godwin love reminds me of the Donte Moncrief vs. TY Hilton a few years ago. A lot of people kept thinking Moncrief would just take over and cast Hilton aside - and I wont deny I had my hopes that was a possibility - but maybe a reality check is needed if you think Godwin is just going to push Evans aside.

1 - Evans is under contract until 2023

In other words at the moment he is there for the remainder of his prime

2 - His dead cap is 31 million for 2019

In other words if the Buccaneers trade him this year I believe they'll eat more dead cap than the Giants & Steelers did with Brown & Beckham. Considering they have like 5m in cap space or less ...

3 - 5 years of 1000+ yard seasons but only 1 season where his targets were top 5 (and most were barely top 10).

In other words he has given 5 years of WR1 or WR2 production without needing a massive target tally, and the 1 year he actually got elite Target totals he had an elite Top 3 season.

He was drafted to be an elite WR (7th overall). He is paid like an elite WR (3rd best contract after Brown & Odell). He produces like an elite WR.

Oh and remember even with Moncrief the Colts elected to re-sign Hilton, much like the Buccaneers elected to give Evans a big contract with Godwin already in the fold (Godwin drafted 2017, Evans contract extension 2018).

So no Chris Godwin is not likely to change that. Maybe Godwin will be Juju to Evans Brown. But Godwin at this time is not going to take over the #1 role in TB without a lot more evidence.

Feel free to keep dreaming though.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:33 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 pm Some of this Chris Godwin love reminds me of the Donte Moncrief vs. TY Hilton a few years ago. A lot of people kept thinking Moncrief would just take over and cast Hilton aside - and I wont deny I had my hopes that was a possibility - but maybe a reality check is needed if you think Godwin is just going to push Evans aside.

1 - Evans is under contract until 2023

In other words at the moment he is there for the remainder of his prime

2 - His dead cap is 31 million for 2019

In other words if the Buccaneers trade him this year I believe they'll eat more dead cap than the Giants & Steelers did with Brown & Beckham. Considering they have like 5m in cap space or less ...

3 - 5 years of 1000+ yard seasons but only 1 season where his targets were top 5 (and most were barely top 10).

In other words he has given 5 years of WR1 or WR2 production without needing a massive target tally, and the 1 year he actually got elite Target totals he had an elite Top 3 season.

He was drafted to be an elite WR (7th overall). He is paid like an elite WR (3rd best contract after Brown & Odell). He produces like an elite WR.

Oh and remember even with Moncrief the Colts elected to re-sign Hilton, much like the Buccaneers elected to give Evans a big contract with Godwin already in the fold (Godwin drafted 2017, Evans contract extension 2018).

So no Chris Godwin is not likely to change that. Maybe Godwin will be Juju to Evans Brown. But Godwin at this time is not going to take over the #1 role in TB without a lot more evidence.

Feel free to keep dreaming though.
I agree overall.

Well, I wasn't around here when I guess there was Moncrief hype but that guy never could play. He always played slow even though he could run. I think Godwin is a much better player than Moncrief and could put up WR2 numbers this season. Cautiously optimistic that he could breakout but he will not be #1 on this team with Evans around.

I do think Winston will put up low end QB1 numbers and will be a legit start in 12 team leagues weekly. Yes he turns it over but there are weapons all over the place for him and the coach should breathe new life into this team.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts