John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: John Ross Buy Low?

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Haggling's gotta start somewhere, and that's only one round back from the target price.

Unless you're suggesting Ross is worth a 2nd? I just can't agree with that, personally. I hit with my 2nds on a regular basis, and I judge Ross at this point to be lower percentage than what I typically land in the 2nd.

A buy low is a buy low. Ofc if the owner doesn't want to sell low, a buy low won't happen.

Fine point about Boyd's contract. But I can't imagine the Bengals won't make re-signing him a priority unless Ross truly blows up in '19, and how likely does that seem? And even then, I feel like they'd still want to keep Boyd.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Why Bother, He is a one trick pony with bad hammy's and suspect hands.

Anyone really think he could ever be a WR1 on any team in this league? He looks to have been drafted to stretch the field to free up the real play-makers. Never much like that offensive strategy.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm Haggling's gotta start somewhere, and that's only one round back from the target price.

Unless you're suggesting Ross is worth a 2nd? I just can't agree with that, personally. I hit with my 2nds on a regular basis, and I judge Ross at this point to be lower percentage than what I typically land in the 2nd.

A buy low is a buy low. Ofc if the owner doesn't want to sell low, a buy low won't happen.

Fine point about Boyd's contract. But I can't imagine the Bengals won't make re-signing him a priority unless Ross truly blows up in '19, and how likely does that seem? And even then, I feel like they'd still want to keep Boyd.
Who did they have to replace Jones and Sanu when they both left? Their replacement plan at RT was a total bust in 2017. They’re cheap and have been for a while.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Interestingly enough Chris Johnson does not believe John Ross truly beat his time at the combine.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chri ... d-have-it/
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm Interestingly enough Chris Johnson does not believe John Ross truly beat his time at the combine.

Well to his credit it took them usually long time to get his time posted and when run simulcam CJ clearly beats him head to head

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:18 pm

KingsKing wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm
ArrylT wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm Interestingly enough Chris Johnson does not believe John Ross truly beat his time at the combine.

Well to his credit it took them usually long time to get his time posted and when run simulcam CJ clearly beats him head to head
Very true - it doesnt detract from the fact that John Ross is very fast. Just found it interesting that CJ2K felt that way but I can definitely see why.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:21 pm

I'd buy on pretty much any high upside talent for a 3rd or 4th. That's not saying much though.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah, why not. On catchable targets he's proven still quick enough to win early. Could play a Cooks-lite role if he sticks in Cincy and he's not too expensive to speculate...

Sadly I was on Ross as a rookie in the late first/early second (PPR non-SF), so I admit there may be some pride/bias influencing my (lukewarm) opinion.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:54 pm

A 3rd seems about right. As an owner in some small number of places, I wouldn't sell for that though. He had what, 7 TDs on 21 catches? He'd obviously break Moss' record with a full workload. :lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm He is a buy low, gonna sell low forever guy, imho.
Agree, just as soon use a 3rd round pick on an upside TE and sit on that type of player.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 pm Who did they have to replace Jones and Sanu when they both left? Their replacement plan at RT was a total bust in 2017. They’re cheap and have been for a while.
Hmm. Bringing up Jones and Sanu's example is another good point. But neither of them broke out for Cincy quite as clearly as Boyd just did.

Worth noting that Mike Brown and Duke Tobin are still the guys in charge of these decisions. So that also supports your point.
Ice wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm He is a one trick pony
I bet you're unaware that 5 of his 7 TDs were targets at the goal-line. He was very productive at the goal-line with UW, too. The 'one trick' you're probably referring to -- vertical targets -- wasn't much in evidence last year.

Also it was his groin that was a problem, not his hammy. According to this, he has zero significant hamstring injuries since 2014.

Hands were definitely bad last season. You got that right, at least. Frustrating, since his drop-rate was 5% in college (better than Mike Williams).
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm

It would certainly be nice to see what he could do with a full healthy season and a reasonable amount of targets (say 100).

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm
ericanadian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:22 pm Who did they have to replace Jones and Sanu when they both left? Their replacement plan at RT was a total bust in 2017. They’re cheap and have been for a while.
Hmm. Bringing up Jones and Sanu's example is another good point. But neither of them broke out for Cincy quite as clearly as Boyd just did.

Worth noting that Mike Brown and Duke Tobin are still the guys in charge of these decisions. So that also supports your point.
Ice wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm He is a one trick pony
I bet you're unaware that 5 of his 7 TDs were targets at the goal-line. He was very productive at the goal-line with UW, too. The 'one trick' you're probably referring to -- vertical targets -- wasn't much in evidence last year.

Also it was his groin that was a problem, not his hammy. According to this, he has zero significant hamstring injuries since 2014.

Hands were definitely bad last season. You got that right, at least. Frustrating, since his drop-rate was 5% in college (better than Mike Williams).
Hammy/ Groin......Hard to keep with all this players injuries

Let's see, I remember a labrum, and surgery on both knees, one being an ACL and a groin, as you say, which if memory serves he aggravated it multiple times. On top of all that he really struggles catching the ball. I took him off my draft board when he was a rookie and never owned him or even thought about buying him.

Personally, I could care less if scores a few TD's. Don't mind anyone owning him but he is the type of player I would never roster. He will cost more losses than wins in a starting fantasy line up due to his wild inconsistency in my book. Never more than 3 catches in a game and only 20 on 53 targets for a paltry 209 yards. 8 of 12 games played in single digit scoring.

No thank you on Ross.... EVER. well, maybe in a best ball league if I ever decide to play in another one of those. :D

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:00 am

Ross recently was released in my league ... some mitigating circumstances that led to his release. He was acquired in dispersal draft with a high salary cap figure & new owners could drop one player w/o penalty. But now that he’s available, he’s a pretty interesting free agent/auction pick up.

I’m a Mixon owner, so I HAVE to believe the Bungles offense gets better ... with that, maybe Ross can live up to his hype.