Any Philip Lindsay Believers Out There?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Any Philip Lindsay Believers Out There?

Postby darewood11 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Never seen an ADP vary so far from actual value
His ADP is in the 40s and I'm not even able to get a high 2nd for him anywhere. People think hes that much more of a risk over chris Carson and Lamar Miller and that tier of guys? This is crazy

youngsteve1505
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Philip lindsay

Postby youngsteve1505 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm

You've got some tough league mates. Recently got moved for Penny and 2.08 in my contract league.

LestForce
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LestForce » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:07 pm

I don’t really understand the hate for Lindsay, particularly when people use Royce Freeman as a prime reason to avoid Lindsay. I get that Royce has the draft capital and Lindsay doesn’t, but Royce was injured and ineffective his rookie campaign, while Lindsay was a efficient and consistent RB for them. Freeman isn’t this athletic monster, and it’s not as if the team spent a 1st round pick on him. The new coaching staff doesn’t have a reason to favor Freeman any more than they do Lindsay, except for the fact that Lindsay showed he can be a good RB in the NFL.
Dynasty Fantasy Football League (12 team, 48 man roster .5 PPR) 5-7
QB: , Allen, Mayfield, Darnold,
RB: Sanders, Chubb, Javonte Williams, Harris, R Freeman, Cohen, J Wilson,T Williams, Guice
WR: Lamb, ARob, Boyd, M Thomas, G Davis, Cobb, Toney, A Rodgers, Westbrook, J Washington, Harmon, Reynolds, T Smith,
TE: Andrews, Kittle, Njoku, I Smith
K: Slye, Hopkins
DL: Ingram, Clark, Hicks, Gross-Matos, Oliver
LB: D. Jones, Warner, Murray, Williamson, Greenlaw, Barnes
DB: T. White, M. Jenkins, Neal, Willis, Apke, K. Joseph,
Picks: N/A

Star Wars Dynasty League (20 team, 2 copy SF PPR TE prem)
QB: Mahomes, Rivers, Bridgewater, Rudolph, Beathard, Driskel
RB: Kamara, Conner, Gurley, Lindsay, Mostert, McKinnon, Cohen, Gaskin, Bernard, Hyde, Wilson, Thompson, Guice
WR: AJ Brown, Allen, Cooks, Landry, Shenault, Shepard, C Wilson, Samuel, Beasley, Ford, Tate,
TE: Henry, Higbee, Brate, Eifert

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:19 pm

I had him in two leagues last year, moved him in both. Prefer him over Miller, but I don't really like any of the RBs in that range. I'm not stampeding to get him anywhere.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:37 pm

LestForce wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:07 pm I don’t really understand the hate for Lindsay, particularly when people use Royce Freeman as a prime reason to avoid Lindsay. I get that Royce has the draft capital and Lindsay doesn’t, but Royce was injured and ineffective his rookie campaign, while Lindsay was a efficient and consistent RB for them. Freeman isn’t this athletic monster, and it’s not as if the team spent a 1st round pick on him. The new coaching staff doesn’t have a reason to favor Freeman any more than they do Lindsay, except for the fact that Lindsay showed he can be a good RB in the NFL.
The "hate" is reasonable when you consider that he's undersized, undrafted, and in an offense that is likely overinflating the production of whoever is in at RB.

I'm a fan. I think he's a very capable RB who has earned a role going forward. I also think most owners value him at a 1st and would definitely buy for a 2nd if presented with the opportunity. OPs league is an outlier.

My primary concern with him is his ability to maintain a role next offseason or the offseason after that. It's harder than you might think, regardless of what a guy looks like in the present year. You have to be a very good back to last for 3+ years. Very few do.

LestForce
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LestForce » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:37 pm
LestForce wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:07 pm I don’t really understand the hate for Lindsay, particularly when people use Royce Freeman as a prime reason to avoid Lindsay. I get that Royce has the draft capital and Lindsay doesn’t, but Royce was injured and ineffective his rookie campaign, while Lindsay was a efficient and consistent RB for them. Freeman isn’t this athletic monster, and it’s not as if the team spent a 1st round pick on him. The new coaching staff doesn’t have a reason to favor Freeman any more than they do Lindsay, except for the fact that Lindsay showed he can be a good RB in the NFL.
The "hate" is reasonable when you consider that he's undersized, undrafted, and in an offense that is likely overinflating the production of whoever is in at RB.
That’s such a stigma that I see used to death in the dynasty community. He’s undersized, sure, but that doesn’t mean he can’t handle a workload and continue to produce. The production at RB shouldn’t be hurt at all this year either, as Munchak is one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. Just seems like the majority of this forum is sizeist, which is pretty silly to me. Talent is talent.
Dynasty Fantasy Football League (12 team, 48 man roster .5 PPR) 5-7
QB: , Allen, Mayfield, Darnold,
RB: Sanders, Chubb, Javonte Williams, Harris, R Freeman, Cohen, J Wilson,T Williams, Guice
WR: Lamb, ARob, Boyd, M Thomas, G Davis, Cobb, Toney, A Rodgers, Westbrook, J Washington, Harmon, Reynolds, T Smith,
TE: Andrews, Kittle, Njoku, I Smith
K: Slye, Hopkins
DL: Ingram, Clark, Hicks, Gross-Matos, Oliver
LB: D. Jones, Warner, Murray, Williamson, Greenlaw, Barnes
DB: T. White, M. Jenkins, Neal, Willis, Apke, K. Joseph,
Picks: N/A

Star Wars Dynasty League (20 team, 2 copy SF PPR TE prem)
QB: Mahomes, Rivers, Bridgewater, Rudolph, Beathard, Driskel
RB: Kamara, Conner, Gurley, Lindsay, Mostert, McKinnon, Cohen, Gaskin, Bernard, Hyde, Wilson, Thompson, Guice
WR: AJ Brown, Allen, Cooks, Landry, Shenault, Shepard, C Wilson, Samuel, Beasley, Ford, Tate,
TE: Henry, Higbee, Brate, Eifert

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 pm

LestForce wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02 pm
That’s such a stigma that I see used to death in the dynasty community. He’s undersized, sure, but that doesn’t mean he can’t handle a workload and continue to produce. The production at RB shouldn’t be hurt at all this year either, as Munchak is one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. Just seems like the majority of this forum is sizeist, which is pretty silly to me. Talent is talent.
No, him being undersized doesn't mean that he can't handle the workload. He obviously can. It's just not ideal and is something he'll have to continue to overcome to maintain a role. 3 years from now, I'm betting Lindsay is a "remember that guy?" type of player, and not specifically because of his size. Doesn't mean he won't be valuable for one or two more seasons (1 seems more likely). He's a good guy, though, so hopefully he can have staying power.

I'd love for him to carve out a long-term role as a pass-catching back who splits carries. He's not going to be a 250 carry guy for 5 seasons.

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 pm
LestForce wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02 pm

No, him being undersized doesn't mean that he can't handle the workload. He obviously can. It's just not ideal and is something he'll have to continue to overcome to maintain a role. 3 years from now, I'm betting Lindsay is a "remember that guy?" type of player, and not specifically because of his size. Doesn't mean he won't be valuable for one or two more seasons (1 seems more likely). He's a good guy, though, so hopefully he can have staying power.

I'd love for him to carve out a long-term role as a pass-catching back who splits carries. He's not going to be a 250 carry guy for 5 seasons.
I believe he had like 195 carries this year and went over 1000 and 9 scores. I think 200 carries is fine.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:52 pm

darewood11 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm Never seen an ADP vary so far from actual value
His ADP is in the 40s and I'm not even able to get a high 2nd for him anywhere.
People think hes that much more of a risk over chris Carson and Lamar Miller and that tier of guys? This is crazy
These two aren't really the same thing. For him to have an ADP in the 40s, he needs just one owner to believe. For a trade (after he is drafted in the 40s), he needs TWO owners: the one who drafted and the one who is buying.

Similarly, a buyer in a trade rarely looks to pay peak market price for a high-end unless the buyer has VERY high confidence in future production. Whatever you think of Lindsay, that confidence can't be so high.

Indeed, were you to try to trade, say, James Conner, I think that you'd run into the same wall. His ADP is high -- top 20! -- because there will be one guy who believes in him and/or is willing to gamble on his upside. But, you won't likely get top-20 trade value for him when other top-20 players have more security even if they have a lower ceiling.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:59 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:52 pm
darewood11 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm Never seen an ADP vary so far from actual value
His ADP is in the 40s and I'm not even able to get a high 2nd for him anywhere.
People think hes that much more of a risk over chris Carson and Lamar Miller and that tier of guys? This is crazy
These two aren't really the same thing. For him to have an ADP in the 40s, he needs just one owner to believe. For a trade (after he is drafted in the 40s), he needs TWO owners: the one who drafted and the one who is buying.

Similarly, a buyer in a trade rarely looks to pay peak market price for a high-end unless the buyer has VERY high confidence in future production. Whatever you think of Lindsay, that confidence can't be so high.

Indeed, were you to try to trade, say, James Conner, I think that you'd run into the same wall. His ADP is high -- top 20! -- because there will be one guy who believes in him and/or is willing to gamble on his upside. But, you won't likely get top-20 trade value for him when other top-20 players have more security even if they have a lower ceiling.
Nice post. Not everyone hates Lindsay just because they don't want to spend the (rightfully so) asking price of an early to mid 1st. He's worth more to an owner probably than a buyer

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 pm

What’s the latest on his injury? Thought I heard it might be more serious
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Im totally a fan of him as a player. And if you were smart enough to grab him off the wire then my hat goes off to you. But he was a big sell to me during the season while his value was peaked.

Hes significantly undersized and unlike guys like Cohen he is undrafted. He had minimal involvement in the passing game. He's simply one of those players who produce in fantasy but have minimal trade value outside of a few windows.

The owner in my league tried trading him to me recently along with Sutton for Chubb. So like I mentioned above, if you have him then great but you won't get what you feel is fair value for what he produces in fantasy. And the severity of this wrist injury doesnt help.

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Official "plant my flag:" He won't be the starter in week 1.

That's why he's lacking value. Royce Freeman will surpass him and he'll be relegated to change-of-pace duties. Right now, I'd give up more for Freeman (2.1-2.5 range) than Lindsay (2.8-2.12 range).

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Here’s an interesting stat:

Royce Freeman faced 8 men in the box an absurd 36% of the time. Philip Lindsay faced 8mitb a very low 14% of the time.

If that were adjusted to be equal by better coaching and scheming how would the two backs look?
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*