Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Josh Gordon Reinstatement

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:29 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 am Apparently tested positive for multiple substances.
He needs significant, significant help. Like I said earlier, he just may be someone that shouldn't be playing football at all. It's clearly never been a big enough distraction or incentive from his root issues.
Good thing for him is he won't have to worry about football anymore

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 am Apparently tested positive for multiple substances.
He needs significant, significant help. Like I said earlier, he just may be someone that shouldn't be playing football at all. It's clearly never been a big enough distraction or incentive from his root issues.
Absolutely. New England was the guinea pig for life outside of Cleveland. And, if they couldn't make it work...then that's a pretty big deal.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:43 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 am
Jigga94 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am

Absolutely. New England was the guinea pig for life outside of Cleveland. And, if they couldn't make it work...then that's a pretty big deal.
Yes. Not to mention he will be sitting on Exempt list until at least 2020, but likely 2021. Then he's even older, out of football shape and still a huge threat to relapse.

I was rooting for him one last time, but it's time to hang it up and focus on being clean

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:05 am

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news ... zc96twc9ca
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

REPTAR
Captain
Captain

Postby REPTAR » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:40 am

Interesting Rapoport mentions the (slim) possibility of him being reinstated for 2019. Seems like the longest of shots.

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Look this is just a small misstep.

Gordon is still by far my #1 dynasty WR.

Do you all forget his dominance 5 years ago???

I know it seems like he bleep up over and over and over and over and over and over again but it’s different this time.

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 am

Can we just stop talking about this bum and delete this thread. It's over people.
In too many leagues to list players. Check out my Dynasty Deep Dive!

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:03 pm

IM HOLDING FOREVER! !!!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:10 pm

jtsmalls wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 am Can we just stop talking about this bum and delete this thread. It's over people.
"I'm holding."

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:42 pm

If you have the roster space, you might as well hold him. If you have shallow benches then it’s time to move on.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:39 am

My league has 19 keepers every year. I'd probably cut him. This is obviously who he is. He's not gonna change. Rostering him is almost certainly a waste of bench space better spent on practically any 'decent' flier.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 am

Does anyone feel the Browns dodged a bullet?

What I mean is that the Browns may have been eliminated but they are a win away from a .500+ season for the first time since 2007. Yes 10 years without even reaching .500. I can only imagine how much of a distraction it would have been if Gordon had been suspended / left the team a week before the most important game in recent team history ...

Meanwhile while the Patriots will likely miss his production - they do not seem that phased and have that 'next man up' mentality well engrained.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am

Not sure if they necessarily dodged a bullet... That makes it seem extreme.

I do think it was good for the Browns to get out when they did though. Not because they got anything from releasing him, but because they were able to start fresh, with Gordon and Hue gone (even Hyde to an extent).

It gave them a good chance to see what they had looking forward to next season. See which WR will step up to start alongside Landry. To see them finally hit on 3 rookies and see them all perform very well. It's exciting for Cleveland.

So do I think Gordon would've been that big of a distraction if he stayed and got kicked off around the same time? Not really, but it was good for them to move forward when they did.

Patriots don't even bat an eye at that stuff lol crazy how when they signed him we knew this would happen. No one is shocked and I don't think it even hurts the Patriots

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 am

Fair enough - I meant more in the sense that news of this happening while with the Browns would have had a heavier impact. More 'Same Ole Browns' type thing, while because it happened with the Patriots, people focus more on Josh Gordon, rather than the team he played for. No one is mocking the Patriots for having taken a chance on Gordon - but had he stayed with the Browns or played for another team with infrequent (at best) playoff aspirations ...
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am

ArrylT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 am Fair enough - I meant more in the sense that news of this happening while with the Browns would have had a heavier impact. More 'Same Ole Browns' type thing, while because it happened with the Patriots, people focus more on Josh Gordon, rather than the team he played for. No one is mocking the Patriots for having taken a chance on Gordon - but had he stayed with the Browns or played for another team with infrequent (at best) playoff aspirations ...
My take is the Browns got out at the right time. What it really took IMO was a legit GM who understands players regardless of talent can hurt a team. Gordon obviously, still had enough talent for the Pat's to take a chance on him but they knew he wasn't the same player and they are so good it didn't hurt them.

What is a bit interesting is Dorsey went out and signed B. Perriman who has been filling a deep role. While he isn't a huge signing it does go to show Dorsey understands talent and how it can help a team. Dorsey understands a Player like this even at 2-4 targets per game can change a defensive scheme, much like Gordon did for the Pats for a period this year.

In a sense one could say the Browns dodged a bullet or finally stopped digging a hole to nowhere for their team. Either way moving on was the right choice.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts